NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-15-2015, 12:58 PM
jerry

Default Show your high grade (oc) cards

I don't know about the rest of you but I like these cards. I know it's all about centering for a lot of you. But It does not bother me and you can get them at a fraction of the cost. Here are a few of mine.

Last edited by mrmantlecollector; 11-15-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

I agree with you. I care more about corners and edges than centering. Centering is important to me, but not the only consideration. You've got some great looking cards there, especially the last 2.

Here is my contribution. Got it for about 75% of VCP of a straight PSA 7. Huge score.

Last edited by DBesse27; 11-15-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:16 PM
J0hn Collin$

Interesting topic, thanks for starting the thread.

You are correct in that today, centering is usually viewed as one of the most important aspects of condition on nice cards. But it hasn't always been that way. Back when I first started collecting in the mid 1980's - centering as a consideration of the grade was much less of an issue. Today a lot of the cards that you included in your scans (nice, by the way; and I'm sure you did get them at bargains) would be considered duds because of the centering. It's increasingly common to see people that want only well centered cards - and even to see them give some on other aspects of condition to find those that are nicely centered. I guess it all comes down to what bothers you. For me, I don't like creases but other than that, I can deal with other condition problems as long as the cards retain eye-appeal. I went through a phase where I was buying and selling a lot of cards about 10 years ago - and got to where centering really bothered me. Interesting because when I was a kid - I don't recall being concerned about centering at all. And in looking back - many of the vintage cards that I treasured as a kid and got a ton of enjoyment out of - weren't centered that great. I will agree that on the whole - there is a point where truly bad centering can ruin the eye-appeal of a card if it's otherwise nice. But in recent years just focusing on my own collection - I've gotten to where I'm not as much as a centering fanatic as I used to be. I do know of other old school collectors who still care way more about sharp corners than they do centering at all - and I've got to think this is just a sign of the times in terms of how they grew up collecting. I really don't think centering mattered a tenth of what it does now when older cards were described for sale back in the 1980's. Remember when you could order single star cards out of magazines like Baseball Cards and just bought sight-unseen based on the grade advertised? NM, EX, VG...there weren't the "tweener" grades back then. Virtually nobody cared about the centering associated with the grade when they bought those cards. I know I was one of them as about a 12 year-old kid. I never cared.

21st century hobby problems, I guess...

-John
Old 11-15-2015, 05:56 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Interesting topic, thanks for starting the thread.

You are correct in that today, centering is usually viewed as one of the most important aspects of condition on nice cards. But it hasn't always been that way. Back when I first started collecting in the mid 1980's - centering as a consideration of the grade was much less of an issue. Today a lot of the cards that you included in your scans (nice, by the way; and I'm sure you did get them at bargains) would be considered duds because of the centering. It's increasingly common to see people that want only well centered cards - and even to see them give some on other aspects of condition to find those that are nicely centered. I guess it all comes down to what bothers you. For me, I don't like creases but other than that, I can deal with other condition problems as long as the cards retain eye-appeal. I went through a phase where I was buying and selling a lot of cards about 10 years ago - and got to where centering really bothered me. Interesting because when I was a kid - I don't recall being concerned about centering at all. And in looking back - many of the vintage cards that I treasured as a kid and got a ton of enjoyment out of - weren't centered that great. I will agree that on the whole - there is a point where truly bad centering can ruin the eye-appeal of a card if it's otherwise nice. But in recent years just focusing on my own collection - I've gotten to where I'm not as much as a centering fanatic as I used to be. I do know of other old school collectors who still care way more about sharp corners than they do centering at all - and I've got to think this is just a sign of the times in terms of how they grew up collecting. I really don't think centering mattered a tenth of what it does now when older cards were described for sale back in the 1980's. Remember when you could order single star cards out of magazines like Baseball Cards and just bought sight-unseen based on the grade advertised? NM, EX, VG...there weren't the "tweener" grades back then. Virtually nobody cared about the centering associated with the grade when they bought those cards. I know I was one of them as about a 12 year-old kid. I never cared.

21st century hobby problems, I guess...

-John
I agree completely, except, I've still never gotten to the point where centering bugs me. Creases, rough corners, rough surface, or I guess many of the things these cards' owners had influence over, are the things I look at more. I agree in that no one focused on centering when I was younger, and I never cared about it. As long as off centering doesn't really bug me, I see no need to jump on the train, though it seems the centering related premiums are here to stay. This said, given all the focus on centering, I've been happy to continue adding some nice OC cards at relatively low prices.

Here are some of mine, '52 Jackie is super super sharp in hand, and I suspect maybe people saw the "MC" and steered clear of the '56 Mantle. The MC is because the stats on the back touch (or "graze") the bottom border. I've seen many cards with that issue as non qualified, so ended up being another opportunity for a relative bargain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson.jpg (74.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 1953 Topps Willie Mays.jpg (72.2 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA5.jpg (73.9 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle 1.jpg (74.1 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Leaf Jackie Robinson.jpg (77.3 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg T202 Speaker Wood PSA 7 OC.jpg (26.6 KB, 151 views)
Old 11-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Mike P.ap

Default West Rookie signed....

s-l1600.jpg

I LOVE it!

Peace, Mike
Old 11-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Wow, some great eye candy in this thread if you ask me!!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:55 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
I suspect maybe people saw the "MC" and steered clear of the '56 Mantle. The MC is because the stats on the back touch (or "graze") the bottom border.
Nice card. Yeah, the grading companies seem pretty inconsistent on their "back policies" from what I've seen. It's a shame to give a card with good front centering and that good of a presentation an MC designation just based on the back...but nice that you probably got a deal because of it.

I've also seen the opposite. I have a '66 Koufax that has decent centering on the front, technically is miscut on the back because of the borders, and is probably a NM card otherwise. PSA graded it a straight 6, even though that's wrong by their own standards for the back.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:12 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Great cards, gentlemen! I'm finding that I am reaching the point that I am getting less particular all the way around. Centering used to bother me but doesn't as much anymore. In some circumstances, I have even started tolerating a crease here or there! If it isn't written on, torn, or thumbtacked (my apologies to those who love those ) I might just be ok with it. First world problems/decisions I guess.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 11-15-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Patrick N.

Default Mine

Old 11-15-2015, 08:13 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yeah, I was surprised to see this get a straight 5 with part of the next card on the right back border. Should have been a miscut. Maybe they're more lenient with certain issues.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:00 PM
jerry

Nice cards you guys. keep them coming. Here is a couple more for you.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:05 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Old 11-16-2015, 08:21 AM
Al Richter

Default Variant

Old 11-16-2015, 08:38 AM
J0hn Collin$

Horizontal cards (like that Schmidt rookie, '55 & '56 Topps) that are OC side-to-side don't bother me that much. Also regular vertical cards like that '66 Clemente that are off top-to-bottom a bit don't bother me either.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-16-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Damn, Andy someone at the factory totally f&*% that Connie up. The guy must of had one hell of a night before. The sheet got way off during the cutting process for sure.
I always looked at that Connie was there sitting on a toilet.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

I meant to comment on that Hassan Wood/Speaker. Awesome card!
Old 11-16-2015, 11:55 AM
J0hn Collin$

Centering like this does not bother me, but cross-cuts or "diamond" cuts if they are bad do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captureernie.JPG (44.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 11-17-2015, 11:57 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Forgot to post this beauty. Not sure if OC or MC is an apt description. It is simply just too big top to bottom and seems to have eaten some of the card above it. It otherwise has the sharpest corners and cleanest surface of any T202 I own. The writing on the back is freakishly crisp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T202 Mathewson Devlin PSA 4MC.jpg (84.0 KB, 44 views)