NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default Talk about AUTHENTIC!!

Posted By: jverri01 

This HAS to be the WORST forged Ty Cobb signature I have ever seen. Almost laughable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1834801017

Old 06-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Wojak

I agree that the writing sure bears no relationship at all to Cobb's signature, but I don't see any claim in the listing that this is autographed - am I missing something? Plus, the listing says it is a 1980 card - how could the seller claim it is autographed if it was produced almost 20 years after Cobb's death?

Old 06-12-2002, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

The same ones who might not understand that when they are getting GEM MINT...let me repeat it!- GEM MINT GRADED CARDS for pennies!- that Honus Wagner tobacco card they're getting is a Dover reprint or a Topps T206. (I actually saw them showing a graded Wagner on their shelf- no zoom in to show when the card was actually manufactured, even though it looks like the T206).

Sometimes shysters go after people who have a LITTLE knowledge- hey, that guy Ty Cobb is famous- hey, autographed cards are supposed to be valuable- this one must be a real deal!

Old 06-12-2002, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

The auction lot is authentic. Authenticity simply means that an an item is described accurately. Obviously, that is not Cobb's autograph, but there is no claim, in description or title, that it is. If there was siginficant insincerity-- such as slying insinuating that the signature 'may be real, may not be, I'm no expert', then the lot would not be authentic--, but I don't beleive that they seller was trying to act this way.

Old 06-12-2002, 12:58 PM
Administrator

I do note that when I recently offered a 1984 Roberto Clemente First Day Cover, made 14 years after his death, I pointed out in the description that the faux printed Clemente signature was not a real autograph, even though bidders would know have figured it out.

Old 06-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Administrator

...say things like "You're getting a GRADED BABE RUTH TOPPS CARD!"- they don't explain further that what you're actually getting is a graded 1996 Topps insert card that is indeed of Ruth, but is actually nearly worthless. The same thing with the graded Wagner T206 reprint.

In this case, what is the reason for adding the Cobb auto? To show the buyer what Cobb's name would look like if it wasn't in block type?

A friend who also occasionally watches the SAH Sports Collectible show for laughs says part of the reason they say everything twice-THEY...SAY...EVERYTHING...TWICE!
is in part because they're preying on those who are either losing their faculties or never had them to begin with (or they're drunk, so their attention span is even smaller). They of course actually also outrightly misrepresent the value of what they're selling ("this card is worth FOUR-FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS and you're getting it for NINTY NINE NINTY-NINE! NINTY NINE NINTY-NINE!") besides doing it suggestively.

Old 06-12-2002, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Davd

Brueso, I agree with you on Shop at Home. I'm not a lawyer (disclaimer disavowing me of all liability, right Halley and Adam?), but it appears to me like Ken Goldin and SAH are commiting fraud. I don't know what the legal definition of fraud is, but Goldin purposely lies in order to get people to pay too much money. To me, Goldin saying that a 1987 Topps '1000 Yard Club' Jerry Rice card is worth $15,000 is fraud.

Old 06-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 06-13-2002, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

Davd:

I will represent you when the Home Shopping Network tries to sue you for slander ... since the TRUTH is always a defense!!

Old 06-13-2002, 10:32 AM
Administrator

...during their pitch, when they try to get people to buy $300 of material and do it on "stretch pay" (meaning 3 monthly payments) ... and then they spend the rest of the time saying "You're only paying FOUR DOLLARS A CARD on stretch pay!"- which is true, but it really means the rubes are paying twelve dollars a card.

I love how the dealer on the telephone can't be bothered to actually be in the studio, so he pitches on speaker phone.

Old 06-13-2002, 12:41 PM
Administrator

In the end, the buyers must take some responsibility (I'm not talking legal here). If Shop at Home says, "This is worth $10,000," the potential buyer should ask, "If it's really worth $10,000, then why are the offering it for $299." .... If SAH home says "You can easily turn this around and sell it on eBay for three times what we are offering it here," the potential buyer should ask "Then why aren't they selling it on eBay for three times this price?"

As Voltaire said, "Common sense isn't common."

This is also why I find Beckett's and SGC's recent connections with SAH so dubious.

Halley, I appreceate your offer of representation. While the case is going, are welcome to at my home. I live only fifteen minutes from SafeCo Feild and just two minutes any direction from an espresso stand.