NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Newbie questions, T206!

Greetings,

I caught the T206 bug. Help!

I have bought a few cards of late, and am now trying to learn as much about these as possible. I've been to the major sites, read the Inside T206 PDF, and have a copy of the wonderful book, The T206 Collection. I've been through the forums on this site a bit as well and have found it to be a great resource.

My goal in collecting is to have and to hold. I don't care much about grading but do care that the card looks good. So I am not so concerned about the perfect corner or a minor flaw as long as the front has nice eye value.

So with that said, I'd love to get guidance and opinions on all aspects of these cards! So, a few questions.....

1. How do you display your graded cards? I have displays for my ungraded cards and am very happy with them. I'd like to put my graded cards on a shelf as well, but would like to present them without the PSA sticker. Eg, has anyone framed them and in doing so, matted over the PSA sticker? Any suggestions on how to best display the graded cards would be great.
2. How do you display your collection out of curiosity? Case? Books? Etc.?
3. Can anyone recommend any great shops in northern NJ or in NYC?
4. Where do people buy mostly, out of curiosity? Ebay and this site? Are there other ideas for buying?
5. Any other good books, other than The T206 Collection?
6. Are there any good rubrics for pricing? I do the obvious: I peruse the completed ebay auctions, I check the sites out there that have supposed calculators, look at the guides, etc. But are there any rules of thumbs? Eg, a psa 4 common sells for about $___ and a psa 5 sells for $____??

And finally, now that I have this addiction, is there a cure??!!

I appreciate any and all comments. Answer what you can. Thanks!!

Eric
Old 12-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Tim

Welcome to the T206 addiction Eric. There is a ton of information regarding this set on this site. I suggest that you use the "Search" function a lot as it will answer many of your questions. Don't hesitate to ask questions as many board members are more than willing to help.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the response. I did do some searching but particularly in regards to how to display the graded cards, I didn't see anything. I also think I found most of the relevant resource references but I'll dig further.

Thanks.

Eric
Old 12-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

welcome aboard!!!!!!
it's always great to see a fellow lover of the T206s.
to answer one of the questions: i have framed my favorites and displayed them on my office walls. The rest are in two large safes but are looked at quite regularly.
do remember the most important dictum:
the Monster wants you to quit. Don't listen to it!

best,
barry
Old 12-16-2010, 05:01 AM

Thanks Barry! Out of curiosity, were the cards you framed graded? And what kind of frame did you use - are there specially made frames available? Thanks!

Eric
Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Tim

Eric - In the link below you will see two ways you can frame your T206's. One is to have the frame custom made and the other is an off the shelf frame from Target.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=116000

A few other display links.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=118845

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=115405

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=128566

Last edited by Abravefan11; 12-16-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 AM

for rule of thumb pricing, I use the following for commons:
-- PSA 3: $30
-- PSA 4: $50
-- PSA 5: $90
-- PSA 6: $160
-- PSA 7: $400 (much more variability as the grade gets higher)

SGCs, I've found, tend to sell for ~10% less on ebay. But I've also found that the difference from PSA shrinks at the BST here and at the third-party auction houses. (speculation -- perhaps the more knowledgeable collector appreciates the SGC a bit more?). Another site for market prices is vintagecardprices.com (disclaimer -- I have no affiliation).

remember to "buy the card, not the holder", as prices will differ within the specified grade depending on the visual quality/appeal of the card. also, the final cost to the buyer will differ depending on the context -- ebay sellers usually then add on a shipping cost, whereas the majority of cards listed on the BST here will already include the shipping cost, whereas auction sites will add on a buyer's premium (typically 12-19%).

Hope that helps,
--S
Old 12-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Scott Levy

Also,

I know that a number of NET54 collectors who would trade/sell T206s live in the NYC/NJ area. You may find them able to give you better deals / better trades than your local card store. And you might find that they are willing to buy duplicates that you don't want as well.

Shameless plug....I am one of them

Best,
Scott
scottglevy@yahoo.com

Added to say that by far the most comprehensive pricing list is VCP (vintage card pricing) which is a subscription based online site. Other reasonable (cheaper) alternatives are the PSA SMR guide, and t206.net and just good old fashioned ebay watching.

Last edited by scottglevy; 12-16-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Additional suggestion:
Old 12-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Paul

Default Sounds like...

...you're off to a good start, with lots of information at your disposal. Have fun building your collection!

I would recommend you get your hands on the audio recordings of The Glory of Their Times, so you can actually hear the T206ers talking about their playing days. It really helps make the connection between cardboard and life. (That connection is one of the primary reasons I collect autographed T206 cards.)

There are many ways to collect T206 cards -- almost as many ways as cards themselves -- just remember to have fun!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 PM

Hey everybody, THANKS for the great info!

I love the framing ideas, especially the first link. I also signed up for VCP which has been very useful. And, I just ordered Glory of Their Times. Those pricing guidelines are real useful.

Finally, I live in Essex County, NJ. I'd love to hook up if anyone else is local.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Barry Arnold

Default re: your question

eric,
i actually have framed both graded and raw.
sometimes it is a bit of overkill as i'm trying to protect some of my favs, e.g.
my cobb bat off is graded(encapsulated) and framed.
i have found a framer who has been quite gracious to me in both offering much time and fair pricing, perhaps in part because i've provided him with so much business the last 2-3 years.
all the best to you in your efforts and happy holidays,

barry
Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 PM

I've learned a lot in the past few weeks, largely thanks to the people on this forum. Thank you!

And in particular, I wanted to mention how wonderful Glory of their Times is. What a great audiobook and really helped me appreciate the era and helped me understand why I love these cards so much. I recommend this to all, and particularly my fellow newbies!

Happy new year!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
...you're off to a good start, with lots of information at your disposal. Have fun building your collection!

I would recommend you get your hands on the audio recordings of The Glory of Their Times, so you can actually hear the T206ers talking about their playing days. It really helps make the connection between cardboard and life. (That connection is one of the primary reasons I collect autographed T206 cards.)

There are many ways to collect T206 cards -- almost as many ways as cards themselves -- just remember to have fun!
Are the recording posted anywhere on the internet for free download?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Sorry - can't help you there! I got mine from audible.com for about $15 for a 5 hour listen. Really great if you can swing it.

Eric