NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I guess another question would be, even if he obtained it, it would have cost him an amount unusual for a forger to fork out considering he would only have one shot at creating such a convincing Ruth, so why not dummy up a fake ticket instead?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 PM

I hope you realize, Mike, I was being a bit of a smartass.
Of board members that have spoken, a majority of those in the "98%," and even a few in the elite "2%" feel the signature is genuine.

All physical evidence is consistent with the ticket being genuine, as well.

I'm sure the buyer will be happy with his purchase.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Yes I did David. I was just taking the point a litte further. I still stand by my first post in this thread that the OP had good info. I base that strictly on his previous posts that did not tell us anything that would help us determine why he felt the sig was bad. With this tread, we learned that he did not believe the story and why, and whether we agree with all of it or not, it did start a very interesting ticket investigation on this very thread. The other part was to compare the Ruth with a Gaedel (as well as a real Gaedel), which to many of us proved that this forger not only does a terrible Gaedel, he didn't seem, with that comparison, to have the skill to do a Ruth THAT well.
All I ever ask for when someone gives an opinion is to have them back it up with his/her reasons, and agree or disagree at least he finally did that.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Mike, I agree. To me it was the ticket first then the signiture. That is why I wanted to find out if the ticket was correct. I again want to thank everyone that went far and above what usually happens on here. It was nice seeing people working together and not takeing pop shots at each other.
Now its up to each person to decide is the autograph real or not.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
All I ever ask for when someone gives an opinion is to have them back it up with his/her reasons, and agree or disagree at least he finally did that.
No, Mike, he didn't.

He presented a story outlining why he isn't happy with the provenance. He presented no information at all as to why he thinks the signature is the work of the so-called Michigan forger.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Although he didn't elaborate, he did show additional work of "the forger" for us to draw our own conclusions...which I think we did. I do know what you're saying David, but I've given up at getting any additional type of info in situations like this, but hey I'm just a dumb 98 percenter.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Yes I did David. I was just taking the point a litte further. I still stand by my first post in this thread that the OP had good info. I base that strictly on his previous posts that did not tell us anything that would help us determine why he felt the sig was bad. With this tread, we learned that he did not believe the story and why, and whether we agree with all of it or not, it did start a very interesting ticket investigation on this very thread. The other part was to compare the Ruth with a Gaedel (as well as a real Gaedel), which to many of us proved that this forger not only does a terrible Gaedel, he didn't seem, with that comparison, to have the skill to do a Ruth THAT well.
What info did he have? He thought it was rejected by PSA. It wasn't...he had no clue it was certified by JSA. It was. He believed it was rejected by Heritage. It wasn't... He disappears for over a week when questioned about all of this. He comes back and gives us a Red Riding Hood fairy tale that totally deflects from the autograph and focuses on the ticket.

These threads completely illustrate what is wrong in the autograph hobby and what is right in the memorabilia hobby. What did we learn about Babe Ruth autographs? Nothing. What did we learn about ticket stubs? A whole heck of a lot. We also learned something about the game played that day. Lots of collectors chimed in with their FACTS about the game and ticket stub. What did we learn from the 2 percenters? Nothing.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:54 PM
JT R0berts

+1
Old 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
What info did he have? He thought it was rejected by PSA. It wasn't...he had no clue it was certified by JSA. It was. He believed it was rejected by Heritage. It wasn't... He disappears for over a week when questioned about all of this. He comes back and gives us a Red Riding Hood fairy tale that totally deflects from the autograph and focuses on the ticket.

These threads completely illustrate what is wrong in the autograph hobby and what is right in the memorabilia hobby. What did we learn about Babe Ruth autographs? Nothing. What did we learn about ticket stubs? A whole heck of a lot. We also learned something about the game played that day. Lots of collectors chimed in with their FACTS about the game and ticket stub. What did we learn from the 2 percenters? Nothing.
In one of the threads it was pointed out, by SS, that the Ruth signature had some potential issues with it. In comparing some of them how many legitimate Ruth autographs have the A in Babe be open?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
In one of the threads it was pointed out, by SS, that the Ruth signature had some potential issues with it. In comparing some of them how many legitimate Ruth autographs have the A in Babe be open?
What did we learn? Are there no legit Ruth autographs with an open "A"?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
No one said that. There no such thing as always.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Not many....?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:

+!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I guess another question would be, even if he obtained it, it would have cost him an amount unusual for a forger to fork out considering he would only have one shot at creating such a convincing Ruth, so why not dummy up a fake ticket instead?
As Shelly said, now that we're through analyzing the ticket (for now, anyway), we can look at the signature.

I haven't heard anyone say that this signature is "convincing".
Old 04-22-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
As Shelly said, now that we're through analyzing the ticket (for now, anyway), we can look at the signature.

I haven't heard anyone say that this signature is "convincing".
I believe that some board members have said they believe that it's real.
I'm pretty certain David A. said it was in the 1st thread, FWIW.
If I'm wrong, please don't crucify me.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
That's right. In this case, I agree with Jimmy Spence. (I have made a mistake or two in my 50+ years of collecting, and I have made a judgement or two on this very board without looking as closely as I should have, so ya'll gotta factor that in.)

But I believe the signature is good.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Haha. In any statistical analysis, you would throw out the highs and lows. I threw out a low.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM

Ha ha. You must be high.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Ha ha. You must be high.
Well-played, sir
Old 04-22-2013, 05:07 PM

Thank you.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Christopher Williams

Mr. Jim Stinson once commented:

Actually autograph authentication is pretty easy ....No magic wand, and simple formula is when in doubt... BOW OUT ! That includes 1% of doubt.

I have no doubt.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Mr. Jim Stinson once commented:

Actually autograph authentication is pretty easy ....No magic wand, and simple formula is when in doubt... BOW OUT ! That includes 1% of doubt.

I have no doubt.
FWIW, I believe Jim was talking about making a decision whether to purchase an autograph or not.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
I have no doubt.
No evidence, either.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-22-2013 at 05:50 PM.