NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-01-2018, 06:16 AM
Arthur R!ch

Default A little help & an odd request

This may turn out to be nothing but as a nerd I am bound by nerd code to exhaust this possibility until it has been beaten into the ground.

I'm sitting here opening a box 1991 Donruss Canadian. Wait. I should explain that. Here's the nickel version:

Donruss did so well in 1984 they wanted to expand to Canada. Boom, here's Leaf. Canadians hate baseball cards (see: Leaf/OPC QC). Leaf sales down every year. Leaf done after 1988. Donruss stays in Canada with regular Donruss, just 10 card packs instead of 15. Cards are the same as American Donruss. They do this in 1989, 1990, 1991. You're all caught up.

I've opened '89 and '90 Donruss Canadian and there wasn't a single difference between the cards there and the cards we got in our 15 card packs here in the States. I never bothered to open any of my '91 because it's next to impossible to find and I only had 3 total boxes for the two series. I recently found two more boxes for each series so decided to rip one to see if I could find a pack with Frank Thomas showing on it so I'd have a cool wrapper variation. Lo and behold, all of these cards don't have a period after INC. All of the American Donruss cards I've been able to find a scan of online have a period after INC.

My question is: does anyone actually have a decent stash of '91 Donruss? Does anyone know of an American '91 Donruss card that DOESN'T have the period after "INC" on the back?

I what I'm asking is akin to asking someone to go hang out at the DMV for a few hours but if anyone else is into this crazy stuff too I would be eternally grateful.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 04-01-2018, 08:24 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/...-_Base,sm,i100
Here are thousands of Donruss cards you can browse through. Check the first page of Ken Griffey Jr's and you'll see a few with no . after INC. I'm guessing the Canadian ones also say "PRINTED IN USA", right?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Randy Trierweiler

I don't think there are differences between the USA and Canadian wax packs. Donruss had differences every year from 1987-1991 between their wax versions and factory sets. It could be the backs oriented differently, different border patterns, differences in asterisks, or the period after inc as in the case of the 1991s.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Al Richter

Arthur-– I have no idea what the answer to your question might be, but learned some interesting stuff
Old 04-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Ben North

Without looking I am sure there are INC and INC. versions for all the years you mentioned. From memory(guess) they come from different packaging here in the US. Can't remember for sure.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:38 AM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
https://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/...-_Base,sm,i100
Here are thousands of Donruss cards you can browse through. Check the first page of Ken Griffey Jr's and you'll see a few with no . after INC. I'm guessing the Canadian ones also say "PRINTED IN USA", right?
Thanks for that link. God help whoever had to scan all those cards in. You're right, there are "no period" versions among those. However, without knowing where they originated, we can't say for certain that they're American Donruss. Basically, I'm going to have to open some American Donruss boxes and gol through them until I find a "no period." I have no doubt that there are no period cards but in order for me to put this to rest I'm going to have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

And the packaging is different between Canadian and American Donruss. Canadian Donruss has 10 cards per pack as opposed to the 15 cards in an American pack. The wrappers say 10 cards on the front. Because of the reduced number of cards, the boxes are smaller. Depending on the year, there are also variations in the back panel product code as well as the location of "36 COUNT" on the box top. I've never seen a case of '89 or '91 Donruss Canadian but I have a factory sealed case of '90 Donruss Canadian and it has 12 boxes in it, the only case I've seen in the Donruss line that contains 12 boxes.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx