NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-19-2018, 12:24 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Default 1940's to 1960's Cleveland Indians Team Issue Postcards

I had some time this past weekend and finally got around to organizing the small stacks of Cleveland Indians individual player postcards I have accumulated over the years. The sheer number of cards I had that were not duplicates was pretty amazing. Filled up an entire 3" binder 4 per page (I ended up with roughly 100 pages of them). I figured I'd have a small mountain of duplicates but had far fewer than I imagined (I kept the minor cropping differences). I stopped with the 1970-1971 uniform change, so 1940's to 1970/71.

Has there ever been an exhaustive study of these postcards?

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

How many different Al Rosens do you have?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-19-2018, 12:09 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
How many different Al Rosens do you have?
Interestingly only one or two. I have seen other Rosen’s and may pursue them at this point to just add to the collection. Probably the fewest of any player of the era so they were probably removed by another collector before I got to them.

I am still amazed at the sheer number of different players and poses they made, I have probably 7-8 different Colavito’s. Most of the Cleveland postcards you find are signed but it appears some are secretarial.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 06-20-2018, 06:30 PM

Default Cleveland Indians PCs - Thanks for sharing!

This is one of those areas of collecting that is just not organized yet. The Cleveland Indians PCs from around 1948-62 are in a disarray, with somewhere around 8-10 distinct sets, and perhaps more. You probably noticed the same cards with block letters, italic letters, and no letters in some cases. The key of course will be differences in lettering, player uniforms, and PC backs, but even then I don't know if we can ever say definitively a particular set is complete unless we can account for every player, coach, manager, etc. (and in some cases, veterans such as Tris Speaker).

The 1963-69 PCs are a bit more organized. There was a great article in SCD a few years back that offered up a checklist, including numerous poses of many players. I suspect this grouping could possibly be multiple sets as well, but I have been satisfied with the moniker "1963-69 Cleveland Indians PCs" in my collection for some time now.

The 1970s is covered fairly well between The Sports Collectors Bible and the Standard Catalog from around 2000 through a few years latter or so - unfortunately you can't find them in more recent versions.

I have a smattering of cards across all of those years, but no firm checklists yet other than those mentioned. Looks like quite a nice group of cards!
Old 06-21-2018, 04:30 AM

Default Sports Collectors Bible

I went back and checked the Sports Collectors Bible (2nd Ed), and they actually do list and organize the Cleveland Indians PCs more than I remembered. The book lists the Tribe PCs from 1948-75 as "PC-791" on pgs 417-419, as follows:

PC-791
Type I 1948-51 (Indian Head Patch on Sleeve)
Type II 1952-54 (No Piping on Uniform)
Type III 1955-57 (No Names on Front)
Type IV 1955: (Portraits Only)
Type V 1958-62: (Pinstripe Uniforms, Block Letters)
Type VI 1963-69: (Sleeveless Uniforms)
Type VII 1970-71: (New Pinstripes, 3-D Lettering on Uniform)
Type VIII 1972: (Stretch Knit Uniforms)
Type IX 1973: (Unnumbered, Color)
Type X 1974: (Partially Numbered, Color)

PC 791-2
1975: (Color, Unnumbered)

I remember thinking the groupings, many being multiyear, had to each be more than one set. I think that would be the next level of organization worth exploring, to pinpoint by year if possible.

Many players have multiple poses in the various sets. There are a total of 5 Al Rosen PCs listed across these sets, with 2 poses in the Type Is, then 1 each in the Type II, III, and IV sets.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:11 PM

Default Checklists for Cleveland Indians Team Issued Postcards

I have worked with Dan Even to come up with as complete a list as we can of the team issues from 1947-72. Dan is the one who set up the ten types listed by J Lange on this thread and is considered the postcard expert in the field. I can help you if you're still interested in finding out what is out there that is known to exist. Like J Lange said, though; I don't think it will ever be a complete list. I've added three more uncataloged pcs this year alone.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:58 PM
Dave Carson

Default Bill - you were the author of this?

I still carry this with me to card shows, though I’m not sure how current I’ve kept updating what I buy. It will go with me to the National in a few weeks

Trying to remember how I obtained this way back when. 😀

Dave Carson (formerly of Poland, Ohio)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.1 KB, 188 views)
Old 08-29-2019, 04:35 AM
Joe

Bill, Long time Tribe collector here. I am interested in possibly starting a vintage Tribe postcard collection but don't know much at all about the team issued postcards. Is the list you refer to in your post available anywhere? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:42 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

[QUOTE=JLange;1788449]I went back and checked the Sports Collectors Bible (2nd Ed), and they actually do list and organize the Cleveland Indians PCs more than I remembered. The book lists the Tribe PCs from 1948-75 as "PC-791" on pgs 417-419, as follows:

PC-791
Type I 1948-51 (Indian Head Patch on Sleeve)
Type II 1952-54 (No Piping on Uniform)
Type III 1955-57 (No Names on Front)
Type IV 1955: (Portraits Only)

Many players have multiple poses in the various sets. There are a total of 5 Al Rosen PCs listed across these sets, with 2 poses in the Type Is, then 1 each in the Type II, III, and IV sets.[/QUOTE]

Here's what I have:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-16-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
I still carry this with me to card shows, though I’m not sure how current I’ve kept updating what I buy. It will go with me to the National in a few weeks

Trying to remember how I obtained this way back when. ��

Dave Carson (formerly of Poland, Ohio)
I sold these with an ad in SCD back in the day. I never updated them because of all the various issues that suddenly flooded the market in 1981. I couldn't keep up. BTW, my dad's family grew up in Poland, OH. Still have relatives over there.

Last edited by Bill Nicolls; 07-16-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM2009 View Post
Bill, Long time Tribe collector here. I am interested in possibly starting a vintage Tribe postcard collection but don't know much at all about the team issued postcards. Is the list you refer to in your post available anywhere? Thanks.

Sorry that it's taken me 7 years to see this. Still interested?
Old 08-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Dave Carson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nicolls View Post
I sold these with an ad in SCD back in the day. I never updated them because of all the various issues that suddenly flooded the market in 1981. I couldn't keep up. BTW, my dad's family grew up in Poland, OH. Still have relatives over there.
Hi Bill. Thought that might’ve been you.

I’ve been in Indy since 1997. I think we talked way back about the high school athletic exploits of your family. I did a lot of research on that from newspaper microfilm back in the day

Good to hear from you

I still check the booklet a few times a year