NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Default Collector occupations

Posted By: Jim VB

This is one of my favorite threads because it gives us insight into other posters that we pretend to "know" so well. After almost two days, I guess I should participate.

I'm retired.

I spent nearly 20 years in Department Store retailing, working for Federated Department Stores and then May Company. I did everything from Assistant Buyer to Divisional Vice President, in areas as varied as Women's Hosiery to about half of the Home Store. When I left, I bought and started a franchise from Servicemaster. Five years later, I sold it back to Servicemaster and became a stay at home dad, full time.

(Dwight, I used to go to High Point about four times a year, for a week or so each time. I was one of those jerks there for the Furniture Shows. I'm sure you "natives hated the traffic.)

(Cobby said "I stopped eating Taco Bell after it was reported that an employee "allegedly" defecated in the vat of beans." How could they tell?)

Old 02-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Jim VB,

I went to "Market" in High Point twice in the late 90's. It's not something that can be described to someone that hasn't seen it. I met Ernest Hemingway's son, Jack, the year that Thomasville rolled out the Hemingway Collection with the African theme.

And I despised the crowds - the city was simply overrun. Actually, and I'm not making this up, I solved that problem by getting Taco Bell drive-thru and taking it back to the hotel. Expensed the whole $4.29. Better that than the 3-hr waits for a table my co-workers dealt with.

J

Old 02-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

"'I stopped eating Taco Bell after it was reported that an employee "allegedly" defecated in the vat of beans.' How could they tell?"

Excellent point!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

I'm a mathematician. I worked for 20 years in Government and Industry as a consultant. I refuse to eat at Taco Bell; I'm not a nutrition fanatic but I know that stuff is very bad for you! Plus, it makes me feel sick afterwards; I think that is my body's way of telling me that I shouldn't eat it.

When I was sixteen I worked at a Kentucky Fried Chicken in West Los Angeles and I used to mix the mayonnaise and lettuce for the cole slaw in a big vat with my bare arms, still covered in sweat from high school track practice. It's hard to pick a 'worst' fast food joint, but I think just about any chicken place qualifies. Yuck!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Leslie Westbrook

...when I started this thread, I carefully selected wording that would contain a perfectly encrypted prompt for discussing Taco Bell and its place among the members of this community. But seriously, thanks to everyone for adding here...I've really enjoyed reading through your posts. (****AND, I ate Taco Bell for lunch today, no kidding****)

Old 02-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dwight

Yep. Gets a bit congested that time of year. All the locals know better than to try to eat out during market. Wish you could have a better experience - two great people, you are.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

I'm an attorney, practicing primarily in the area of insurance bad faith and fraud. I stay pretty busy.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot York

I compete with a time clock, hope I win in the end. Help build Aerospace military engines. <- I'm Happy!

Edited to say: No taco bell in the vending machines. I have an occasional VM White Castle though, same effect!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DavaeW

I retired two weeks ago tomorrow. Electrical engineer with 35 years working on electronic test equipment. For the last 16 years, focus was on test of cell phones.

In 3 months I'll start consulting for my past company on cellular standards. 3GPP2 if you are interested. 1/3 the time for 2/3 the pay.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

a Finance Manager for Google.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: William Cohon

I teach orchestra.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny Walsh

Greetings Leslie & all,
I spent the 1st 10 years of my Submarine career on the USS Omaha(SSN 692). I then went to a Navy school put together by MIT for 2 years. Kind of a ginney pig test to see what the Navy ET's were made of. I was a soup samwich after that 24 month lobotomy(Surgical incision into the frontal lobe of the brain to sever one or more nerve tracts, a technique formerly used to treat certain mental disorders but now rarely performed. Only They forgot to tell the Navy Taught Piloting & Open Ocean Navigation... Fell(with a little help from a Storm) off the top of a Sub Sail & landed flat on my back topside... Medically discharged after 22 years & 5 back operations.
I'm a full time dad & loving every minute of it! I Simply Love my Wife & Family Dearly! My life has been Very Blessed, we have 9 wonderful children!
I'm thinking about going to school to be a Web Master!? (Any input from you Computer Guru's as to where to attend in the San Antonio area whould be Most Appreciated!)

And, As You All Know.....

" Life is Absolutly Grand "
Denny Walsh

Old 02-23-2008, 02:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Powertrain Engineer with Chrysler. I've been working on current and future Hemi Engines since 2001. Enjoy the job although very hectic at times.

Lot's of new names every time this type of thread is posted. I see another Joe G., our forum continues to grow.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 02-23-2008, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Cook

I'm a financial advisor helping people balance risk, fear and greed. I eat Taco Bell about once a month (spicy chicken crunchwrap supreme).

Andy

Old 02-23-2008, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Environmental Engineer/GIS Cartographer

Jimmy

Old 02-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimH

Hi Guys, Doing hard time in Attica. Looking for a card collecting Lawyer to do some Pro Bono or for trade for a T206 Wagner in mint.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

14 years in Environmental Toxicology for Mobil Oil (BS Biology, Dickinson College, Carlisle, PA).
8 years in Minor League Baseball Administration (ticket guy, Trenton Thunder, Memphis Redbirds, Charleston RiverDogs, Savannah Sand Gnats).
I have finally worked my way down to being a bar tender at a downtown Savannah Pub.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Scott, which bar?.. Our son attended SCAD and we visit the city twice a year.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I am a Region Manager for a major Food Company that probably 95% of you have sampled at some point this week.

And thanks to Eric B. for that info, and for ensuring that I never eat at KFC again!

Old 02-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Collector of BB cards since 1947.....suspended collecting in 1953 to get an education, 4-year Air Force
service, got married, raised two beautiful daughters (3 grandchildren). And along the way, I worked at
AT&T Bell Laboratories (27 years) as an Electronics Engineer, designing hi-speed Modems that interface
computers with a variety of data communication networks. Also, taught Graduate level Analog & Digital
electronics courses and Radar systems electronics.

Returned to collecting Sportscards in 1977.....and, I am enjoying this hobby more than ever.

Retired....but, I still TINKER at playing tennis, when EVERs the CHANCE arises to play a singles match.

TED Z

Old 02-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

As far as I can tell, I am the only English Lit major who sells thingamajigs and doodads and stufflets at a hardware store, AND that posts on this board. This, and only this, makes me incredibly special. That, and the fact that I lived with a chihuahua for many years (my Taco Bell angle).

Brian

Old 02-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen Turner

Legal drug dealer-----Pharmacist.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Psychology professor, and I love the cheesy fiesta potatoes at Taco Bell. I just wish they'd bring back the green onions -- e. coli be damned.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeB

Veterinarian...WAR EAGLE

Old 02-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

English Lit major here as well.

Professionally, I am an attorney specializing in litigation.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

For the past ten years I have been a 1st grade teacher. I am thinking about becoming a professional document examiner and autograph authenticator since there seems to be good money in it, you can fake a resume easily, and you do not need any inkling of what you are doing.

Joshua

Old 02-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony III

Work for the #1 Retail Home Mortgage Lender in the U.S, otherwise I could not afford this hobby. I am addicted like everyone else.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff J

I have three:
I sell recognition award programs (service awards) (23 years+),
I own part of a high-end digital printing company and we rent out houses in the Outer Banks of NC (Duck).

Collect autographed baseball exhibits 1946-66, Mutoscope girl cards and W517's large and minis.

Jeff J

Old 02-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hank Levy

I publish a newspaper in New York, the Jewish Post [www.jewishpost.com].
I also own an advertising agency and help clients with their advertising and marketing needs.
My former career, many moons ago, was teaching English to foreign born students in middle school.

Hank

Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I’m self employed with no “World Headquarters”; I am however along with a group of investors launching a line of clothing for today’s modern cock on the go!

We like to call it Cock Sport...we put the CHIC in Chicken!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

John, those are some well-dressed cocks. Do you also make spurs and chaps for today's modern cock?

Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Duncan

John-

Are those "pecker-proof" vests? Can't wait to see the spring line of fashions!

Jason

Old 02-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Jeff;

Great question we also offer a full line of western wear which includes "spurs", and for today's "husky or big boned" Cock we offer Double Wide sizes as well!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I am wondering....

where is the poop chute?

or are these throw-aways, or 'depends'-lined clothing?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Joe, sadly you are showing your city-slicker side. These cocks don't need poop chutes: they're tossed in the ring and dead before even thinking about hitting the loo!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt M

I am an Advertising Design Artist.

I was a painting major in college. I still paint but could never make a living at it.

During the late 1980’s I turned in an idea to for a new card design to Topps. Because the CEO at the time had accidentally opened my letter, he asked the Creative Director to meet with me. The Director asked me what kind of cards I collected and I told him T206’s, he laughed and said, “there’s not many people collecting those things.”

Matt M.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

john- do people really still have cock-fights in this day & age?

i'd love to see them in some battle attire...spurs, chaps, capes, etc.