NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default How 'bout them Longhorns !!!

I didn't get to see the Texas game as I was flying home (my arms got quite tired...yak yak yak).....but read about it today. I hear 1 second got put back on the clock after time ran out, and Texas kicked a field goal to (probably) get to go to the National title game. That's pretty cool in my book...mainly because I am a Longhorn fan, though I can't say I follow them diligently. I graduated from a branch of UT in Dallas.....HOOK'EM HORNS!!

Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Dave

Looked like Texas managed the clock poorly and got a gift from the officials to me.

Pesky officials can't go screwin' up that BCS formula.

JMHO.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Looked like Texas managed the clock poorly and got a gift from the officials to me.

JMHO.
Bingo!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default maybe

Maybe it was a screw up but that is the human factor...and I am ecstatic.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Poor clock management by Colt and Brown in that last drive, sort of reminded of LSU vs Ole Miss.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Jim VB

Quote:

JMHO.

I was rooting for Nebraska, and Texas did mangle the clock in the closing minute, but the call was correct. Replay showed the clock was clearly at 1 second when the ball hit the railing out of bounds.

By rule, this is a correctable error using replay.

Edited to add: For all you conspiracy theorists who think the Big 12 officials cooked this up to put Texas in the title game, think about this: If Nebraska wins, they get a BCS game and the league get to split up the $17 million AND Texas would still have gone to a BCS game as an at-large bid (probably ousting Boise St.). The league would have received an additional $4.5 million. The Texas win cost the Big 12 $4.5 million.

Last edited by Jim VB; 12-07-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I was rooting for Nebraska, and Texas did mangle the clock in the closing minute, but the call was correct. Replay showed the clock was clearly at 1 second when the ball hit the railing out of bounds.

Edited to add: For all you conspiracy theorists who think the Big 12 officials cooked this up to put Texas in the title game, think about this: If Nebraska wins, they get a BCS game and the league get to split up the $17 million AND Texas would still have gone to a BCS game as an at-large bid (probably ousting Boise St.). The league would have received an additional $4.5 million. The Texas win cost the Big 12 $4.5 million.

I wonder if they went back and added a second to the clock for every other incomplete pass thrown in that game and a second or two ran off the clock. Hell, Texas would have had nearly a minute extra to play with.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Michael S

Quote:

Well the BCS fat cats will make it up to the Big 12 . And I did think it was the correct call but boy I wanted the BCS screwed up. Can you tell my dislike for the BCS . We need a playoff system and then I will watch religiously.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default the system

From what little I know of the system, and the way bowls and championships are picked, it totally sucks.... I think the first overhaul will have to be 2012 or 2013....
Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Rhett Yeakley

The whole system is a joke. The BCS totally copped out by putting Boise vs. TCU. It is like they are saying "you can have your little game while the adults play ours!"

Also a joke that should Texas have lost that game that Cincinnati jumped ahead of TCU so they wouldn't have let TCU play in the NC game either way.

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I wonder if they went back and added a second to the clock for every other incomplete pass thrown in that game and a second or two ran off the clock. Hell, Texas would have had nearly a minute extra to play with.
I read an article today that 24 passes in that game went out of bounds and on every single one the clock ticked an extra second or two off the clock after the ball hit something. To arbitrarily go back and put the second back on the clock so Texas could get one more play was wrong IMO.

Interesting that the Big XII replay officials didn't extend the Missouri v Kansas game by 2 seconds as there were 2 full seconds on the clock when Mizzou kicked the game winning field goal through the uprights and the ball hit the net. Missouri ran on the field like they'd won it and nobody said a word....game over.

Next year I expect the Big XII to review every single pass that goes out of bounds to make sure they get that clock exactly right.

I sincerely hope Bama destroys Texas.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:

A BCS championship means more to the conference than an extra 4.5 million dollars...especially when it's the fat cats in Austin winning it.

Texas got everything they wanted when they joined OUR conference (Big XII office in Dallas, Texas entrance requirements for athletes must be in place for all schools)...the Big XII sucks. They destroyed one of the best rivalries in college football - NU vs OU. The SEC was a lot smarter when they split their conference, they kept all the major rivalries intact. Now Mack Brown is pushing for the Big XII conference championship game to be held every year in Jerry World...he actually said that Arlington was central to the Big XII teams???? WTF??? Every single thing that Tom Osborne warned the Big 8 teams about has happened. Nebraska should join the Big 10 to make it a 12 team league split East and West with a CCG game at the end of the regular season.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Daryle Barbee

Default Roll tide roll!!!!!!!!!!!!

The weather outside was frightful; but the dome was so delightful
tebow had nowhere to go;
let us roll, lets us roll, roll tide roll!!!!!!!!!

OH!!!!!forgot.....

ESPN just announced that Tim Tebow has been offered a 6-year, 38 million dollar endorsement contract from Kleenex......

Last edited by wolfdogg; 12-08-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
The weather outside was frightful; but the dome was so delightful
tebow had nowhere to go;
let us roll, lets us roll, roll tide roll!!!!!!!!!

OH!!!!!forgot.....

ESPN just announced that Tim Tebow has been offered a 6-year, 38 million dollar endorsement contract from Kleenex......
I don't know why people bag on Tim Tebow...he's done nothing wrong. I know the media hype surrounding him has been a circus the last 3 or 4 years, but the kid is a good kid. I'll take any kid on my team that cares enough to shed some tears over a tough loss over the plethora of prima-donnas you see out there today.

Nebraska just had some 4* wide receiver that had given his oral commitment to Nebraska a month or so back reneg on it yesterday...he's already worried about Nebraska not throwing him the "damn ball" enough.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM

I have no association with U of Texas, other than I picked up a Texas Longhorns baseball cap as memento in the Dallas airport several months ago when I was visiting Beckett. Liking to be different, the cap is the one I wear around Seattle (sorry, no Mariners), and I've gotten a few 'Hook 'em horns' on the streets of Seattle. Once, a woman walking towards me on the sidewalk gave me the longhorn sign and I had no clue what she was doing until I remembered I was wearing the cap.