NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-03-2015, 04:07 PM

Default Your first Really Nice pull ?

Probably asked before , but couldn't find it sooooo
What would you consider your FIRST really nice pack pull ?
Here's mine :
44/66

Ken
Old 08-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Al Richter

Default 1959

Age 9, Mantle in a 5 cent pack from local corner store. He was in first series and not hard to come by
Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 PM

I remember my mom buying me a pack of 91 Upper Deck cards and pulling a Donnie Baseball. I was in heaven.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Andy S@ld@n@

Default 1992 Upper Deck Johnny Bench/Joe Morgan Autograph

Pulling that card out of a pack was such a thrill for me as a 17 year old. Reflecting back I should have kept it since it was my first significant pull but I traded it in 2000 or 2001 for a bunch of Fb rookies. Also, I didn't truly know how much upper deck produced and how tough a pull it really is. They still might be printing those 1992 base cards for all I know. LOL.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Pulled an 83 Boggs rookie at age 5 in 1987.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Steve Birmingham

Tough question. Going by value now? Or value when pulled?

My first pack I got A Reggie Jackson rookie. It's a bit beat now, but still one of my favorite cards.

These are the highlights, from years. Some were not much when I got them, some aren't much now.

94 I was buying signature rookies and kept getting he same guys on the signed card. 3 of this Jeter guy from NY who doesn't really look tough enough to play in NY.

9? Hologram die cut emit smith upper deck something or other. A big deal a the time.

97? Edge personal collection an early 1/1 but not marked no indication on the card as to the name of the insert set, and it took me a few years to figure out that's what it was.

The most valuable right out of the pack.

Couple years ago, either GQ or Allen and Ginter triple autograph with Pujols and a couple other really good players #/10 and was around 350 at the time.

So one of those, depending on how you look at it.

Steve B
Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 AM
je.sse @rnot

I remember a couple from when I was a kid. In 94 I pulled a red holoview Manny Ramirez from an Upper Deck SP pack. Not worth much any more but I was pretty excited at the time.

In 1996 I bought a pack of the leaf signature series and pulled a Alex Rodriguez auto gold variation at a local card show. It was basically the best card you could pull from the product at the time. It had just came out and I had no idea what it was worth. I must have had offers from about every dealer at the show before I sold it for about $400. Not bad for a pack that was around 10 bucks.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Gobucsmagic74

'90 Leaf Frank Thomas. My mom picked the pack at a card show while we were on vacation in AZ
Old 08-05-2015, 06:39 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

A Brooks Robinson auto in a (I believe) Heritage pack a few years ago.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Dave

A Bobby Orr game used card from the Parkhurst Boston Original Six series.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Here's mine from when I was a kid, from a local butcher who had the coke caps in separate bin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment (1).jpg (33.3 KB, 279 views)
Old 08-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Mike

I pulled a Mickey Mantle auto out of a score pack when I was a kid. I still have it.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
'90 Leaf Frank Thomas. My mom picked the pack at a card show while we were on vacation in AZ
Nice, when I first got back into collecting two of the first cards I bought were a 90 Leaf Thomas and an 89 Upper Deck Griffey. Never did pull one as a kid though.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 AM
Mike P.ap

Default 1st pack ever............

Back in 1976 when I was 9 years old, I bought my very first pack ever of Topps (15 cents to be exact!). Being a Red Sox fan, I was thrilled to see
Rick "Rooster" Burleson on the top of my first pack ever! Near the bottom of the pack was Denny Doyle. I played SS in little league and was absolutley thrilled at that pack. I caught the "bug" that day and have not stopped since!

While I have certainly pulled bigger and more valuable cards from packs over the years, for me, this was my most memorable!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 08-06-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:26 AM
Rich Klein

Jerry West signed Upper Deck card way back in circa 1991-92; paid for new glasses back in the day.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Jay T.

New cards-
2010 Topps Duo Stamps Buster Posey. Serial numbered out of 50, or a 2013 Heritage Zach Wheeler Red Autograph serial out of 10.

Old cards- 1973 Willie Mays.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:47 AM
David M.

1971 Bob Gibson when I was a kid. Really wanted ANY Cardinal, and Bob was a real bonus!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Brad

Default A recent story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Pulled an 83 Boggs rookie at age 5 in 1987.
A couple weeks ago I picked my son up from basketball camp and we stopped by a local card shop on the way home. He bought some packs and I bought some supplies. He knows I don't really collect too many modern cards and as we looked at all the "old" wax boxes on the shelf he asked me what pack I'd want if I was going to buy one. I looked at the shelf for a minute and replied that as a kid I always loved the 1983 Topps cards. It was the first set I ever put together.

He wanted to buy a pack for me and he chose one carefully from the 1983 box. We opened our cards when we got out to the car and I was pretty surprised when I opened my pack. It had four Hall of Famers and a would-be Hall of Famer (if not for scandal):

--Wade Boggs (rookie)
--Tom Seaver (super veteran)
--Reggie Jackson
--Bruce Sutter
--Pete Rose

I complimented his pack-picking ability and told him he could keep the star cards for his HOF collection. He was thrilled and so was I.

Last edited by BradH; 08-06-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
A couple weeks ago I picked my son up from basketball camp and we stopped by a local card shop on the way home. He bought some packs and I bought some supplies. He knows I don't really collect too many modern cards and as we looked at all the "old" wax boxes on the shelf he asked me what pack I'd want if I was going to buy one. I looked at the shelf for a minute and replied that as a kid I always loved the 1983 Topps cards. It was the first set I ever put together.

He wanted to buy a pack for me and he chose one carefully from the 1983 box. We opened our cards when we got out to the car and I was pretty surprised when I opened my pack. It had four Hall of Famers and a would-be Hall of Famer (if not for scandal):

--Wade Boggs (rookie)
--Tom Seaver (super veteran)
--Reggie Jackson
--Bruce Sutter
--Pete Rose

I complimented his pack-picking ability and told him he could keep the star cards for his HOF collection. He was thrilled and so was I.

Very cool story.
Drew
Old 08-09-2015, 04:01 PM

Nice father & son outing, Brad. The fact your son wanted to buy a pack for you was especially moving. Thanks for sharing.

My first really nice pull occurred when I was 7 in 1961. My father was a very busy motion picture cameraman for NBC News. Since his work assignments took him away from home for long periods of time, any days when he was at home were special for my whole family.

I do not remember why I was out with my Dad alone, but anyway we stopped at a Wahlgreen's Drugstore in Skokie, Illinois on the way home. It was a cool late summer night with a bit of rain. He bought me one wax pack of 1961 Topps baseball cards. For whatever reason, it was just one pack, and the only pack of seventh series Topps baseball I would ever get.

However, upon opening the wrapper to see the five cards I got, I pulled the Mickey Mantle All-Star! Was I ever thrilled. Twas an unforgettable father & son outing for me on that evening.

I wish I had a happy ending for that wonderful moment. Being the naive, gullible kid I was then, I took the card to Powhatan Park in Skokie where I lived to show anybody who wanted to see my Mickey Mantle. This Italian kid a couple years older than I, whom I'd never met, walked over, looked at the Mantle, then raised his fist to my face. Glaring at me, he spoke ominously, "give me that card, kid, or I'll beat you up." I handed over the card to him. I wound up going to his house, and he gave me in trade as I remember three 1960 Topps cards, all commons, one being Turk Lown. I wanted my Mantle back. My Mom was furious, and told me to demand it back. I never got it back.

However, Joey and I actually became friends, and one time I remember waiting downstairs in their den while Joey and his parents ate their supper. His dad spoke with fury and was so loud I was frightened. I recall a large black 'n white photograph placed prominently of a WWII ship and all her officers and crew. I'm guessing that Joey's dad must have served our country in the Navy.

Anyway, after hearing Joey's dad somehow I had compassion for him. Later on, we were in a field with his little brother, Johnny, who was about my age. Deliberating naughty action, John opined that if he got caught, the first thing that'd happen would be "my father will kill me." I was stunned; I'd never before heard a kid speak like that about what his dad would do to him. I think it was then I mentally dropped the Mantle All-Star. Much as I wanted it back, maybe Joey needed that Mickey Mantle worse than I. Whatever. I never got Mickey back. Joey even tried to pull that trick on me again, but he broke into a grin, realizing I knew he wouldn't do anything. We'd become pals, loyal to each other.

Had the father ripped up the '61 Topps Mickey Mantle All-Star? I will never know this side of heaven.

Many years later, I finally replaced the card. It was always a tough one to find in nice condition. Mine came out an SGC 88 NM/MT. When I see my Mick, I often pause to reflect on my old pals Joey and Johnny; I'm sure they somehow made it through childhood with their hot tempered dad. Still .....you wonder.

Thanks for initiating a good thread. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-26-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:15 PM

I'm sure when I was younger I may have pulled something valuable but the only thing that really stands out is my most recent pull. A 2015 Topps Series 2 Babe Ruth Cut Signature, first time I bought cards in 20+ years. Pack cost me $12.99 and I sold it about 2 weeks later for over $7000. I still have pictures and the start of memories to get into collecting.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuchan View Post
I'm sure when I was younger I may have pulled something valuable but the only thing that really stands out is my most recent pull. A 2015 Topps Series 2 Babe Ruth Cut Signature, first time I bought cards in 20+ years. Pack cost me $12.99 and I sold it about 2 weeks later for over $7000. I still have pictures and the start of memories to get into collecting.
Now that's what I call "A Pull" !!!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:41 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuchan View Post
I don't collect much of the modern. Did you sell this raw or have it graded? Would graded vs raw have made much difference on the price realized?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 AM

It was sold raw. I thought about grading but for Babe Ruth alone I was seeing 200-300 minimum fee for signature grading plus card grading. So I guess Ill never know what the difference would have been.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:00 AM
Jay T.

Wow. The money was good, but it would be hard for me to part with Mr. Ruth's sig. I guess another sig could be had for that price though.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Pete Sycks

I remember buying a 84 Topps pack when I was a kid and pulling a Donnie baseball rookie out and I was jumping around all over the parking lot. It's always fun to remember the gold ol' days when packs didn't have 3 cards and cost $50

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 08-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Tony Quinn

Bit of a long story. I bought 2 boxes of early 2000's cards off ebay. After the first one, the second had all the cards stuck together in the packs like they had been in the heat or moisture. Every card completely ruined. I contacted the seller in hopes he would do something (I don't know who's fault it was they were like that). I didn't hear anything back but a package showed up at my door. It was a box of 2000 UD Yankees Greats or Legends. A note said he was sorry and hoped this would make up for the ruined cards. A very nice gesture on his part. Me and my son started opening the box and came across a bat card of Joe Gordon. No biggie, but there was only onepull per box so that was that. I told him go ahead and tear open the rest for fun. A minute later he says "dad, I got a Babe Ruth card". Cool, nice he knows who he is and seemed excited. Base card I'm sure, nothing special. "Hey it's like the other one" What? "It's got a piece of wood on it" No it doesn't, I'm sure, he's 6 and doesn't know what he's talking about. "Yes it does" I take a look and no sh*t, it's a Babe Ruth bat card! WOW! Coolest pull ever (and since then too). I emailed the seller to say thanks and let him know how much I appreciated it. Never heard a word back. Must have been PISSED when he heard he just gave away a $300 card!
That's my story.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Mike C@.v3

Impossible to beat that Ruth cut auto pull...simply amazing

I started collecting around 1987, but one of the better pulls in my collecting days was a beautiful Ernie Banks jersey auto. I pulled it out of a box of 2001 UD Cooperstown Collection or something like that. The box was under $100 and that made this pull all the better. While it's not some epic pull, it is the kind of pull anyone would be happy with. When I opened it, I was overly happy and looking back at it, it reminds me of one of the better times of collecting...when I was younger and things were simpler and opening a box meant ripping 24-36 packs and not necessarily spending $125-300 to do so. The good 'ol days! And I still have the Banks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg banks auto.jpg (40.1 KB, 113 views)
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 08-20-2015, 03:42 PM
David Riley

A 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco from a 86 Donruss box back in June 1986.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:43 PM
octavio ranzola

mike nice story
Old 08-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Jason B.

I was in 6th grade, flying to Florida for vacation with my family and my best friend Mike. We were headed down to see Twins Spring Training, back when the players had to walk past the fans to get into the park.

For the flight down, I had saved all of my pennies to buy a box of '91 Donruss cards to open on the way. Just after we started opening them, we hit some turbulence -- nothing big at first, but it really did turn nasty. I was oblivious to it as Mike and I ripped open packs, but my parents later told us folks around us were truly scared.

We got down to the last few and, as I opened one of the final packs, I couldn't really process what I was seeing. The most gorgeous card I'd ever seen was sitting right in the middle of the pack, bronze foil on the front with marbled effect on the back. It was a Rickey Henderson Elite series card -- I'd heard about them, but had never seen one much less held one. Mike and I both were going ballistic, screaming, and all the while my parents trying to calm us down thinking we were terrified of this horrible turbulence.

Pulling that card, really in the days before premium cards were "a thing", was an absolutely formative childhood experience. It's not gem mint, but I'll never part with it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B_1693.jpg (78.2 KB, 184 views)
Old 08-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger View Post
I was in 6th grade, flying to Florida for vacation with my family and my best friend Mike. We were headed down to see Twins Spring Training, back when the players had to walk past the fans to get into the park.

For the flight down, I had saved all of my pennies to buy a box of '91 Donruss cards to open on the way. Just after we started opening them, we hit some turbulence -- nothing big at first, but it really did turn nasty. I was oblivious to it as Mike and I ripped open packs, but my parents later told us folks around us were truly scared.

We got down to the last few and, as I opened one of the final packs, I couldn't really process what I was seeing. The most gorgeous card I'd ever seen was sitting right in the middle of the pack, bronze foil on the front with marbled effect on the back. It was a Rickey Henderson Elite series card -- I'd heard about them, but had never seen one much less held one. Mike and I both were going ballistic, screaming, and all the while my parents trying to calm us down thinking we were terrified of this horrible turbulence.

Pulling that card, really in the days before premium cards were "a thing", was an absolutely formative childhood experience. It's not gem mint, but I'll never part with it!
Zig...great story! I absolutely loved those Elite series and Legend series inserts. They were the pull of all pulls back in the day. I remember thinking how tough those were to get and felt like they were impossible to obtain. My buddy pulled a Robin Yount Legend Series and when he sold off all of his cards, I made sure to get it from him...although by that time, it wasn't as upscale as once believed. But I still have the memory of how great they were at one time and how hard they were to pull, so to this day this Yount still means a lot to me and I'll probably never part with it.

Numbered to 10,000 to boot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yount legend.jpg (40.6 KB, 184 views)
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 08-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Jason B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post

Numbered to 10,000 to boot
Mike--

Absolutely! To your point, the limited runs on these cards pale to the 1/1 culture in the hobby today, but they were truly tough pulls back in the day!

The only other Elite card I have is the Sandberg Signature Series -- bought it for $100 in the very early days of eBay (sending cash in an envelope, etc.). It has special significance to me as a Cubs fan though...

Numbered 1945/5,000. 1945 being the last year the Cubs won the Pennant. It was true when I bought it in '96, and it's (sadly) still true today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D_1107.jpg (77.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg D_1108.jpg (76.7 KB, 175 views)
Old 08-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Scott Silvers

Very cool. I too went through pack upon pack of this stuff when I was in middle school, but without ever finding a single one. The only ones I ever came close to seeing were in the advertised by Donruss in the Beckett's. To a middle school kid back in the day they were pretty mythical - a true white whale.

On a side note, I remember a story of my uncle buying two cases of '92 Donruss with a couple of friends looking for the elites and came up empty as well. However, my aunt who happened to be shopping, impulsively picked up a pack for him at the checkout (and then impulsively opened it before leaving). She ended up pulling the '92 Griffey Elite...of which he still has to this day in an overly thick screw-down.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Alfredo

Old 10-15-2015, 04:01 PM

my first major pull was in 93 or 94 not sure but it came from the ted Williams collection it was a Michael Jordan card that looked like it was airbrushed. I sold it to the dealer right then for $30 in trade for more packs of cards and I remember how excited I was.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Default I don't remember what year but

I bought the last pack of fleet ultra football and it was all inserts Reggie white , Bruce smith , Rick mierir , elway . I was pretty excited
Old 11-03-2015, 05:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

All my luck was condensed into one day. In a store in the early 2000s, a Bird Magic (from my second pack of 81 Topps) and a Jordan (from my first pack of 86 Fleer). Not quite as good as it sounds, the Jordan was very roughly cut and off center.

Other than that, busting older packs has been an exercise in futility.