NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-26-2016, 05:13 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Default What baseball player would you like to see and think would make a great movie?

I would vote for two people and they would be somewhat biased choices.

Ty Cobb gets a new movie. Recent research has shown and proven Stump butchered Cobb's legacy. At least to a degree there should be a movie made with more recent facts as well as during his playing career and actual events that happened.

I did like the Tommy Lee Jones movie but it's all fabrication. It shouldn't be the only movie made for the general public to believe the lies.

My same sentiments go towards Comiskey. I think they could do a great job at making a Comiskey movie. There is a book out that I haven't got around to reading yet called "Turning the Black Sox White". More or less the same thing about the new books on Cobb. Trying to tell the other side to the story.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 02-26-2016, 06:10 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Lying in bed the other night I had the genius idea of a Clemente movie...What an amazing story, with a tragic end

Seems like someone already has...as it's already in the works

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-26-2016, 06:31 AM
H Murphy

Default Movie Idea

The life and too short lived career of Tony Conigliaro "Tony C" would make an interesting movie. The father of a good friend of mine bought Tony`s old 70`s haunt, Tony C`s, right on the Boston harbor from him about 40 years ago. Turned the once roaring rock-n-roll club into a very successful beautiful function hall over looking the Boston sky line.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

From a selfish Tiger fan's perspective, I'd like to see a movie about Mickey Cochrane and the story of him coming to the Tigers and leading them to their first modern day world series title. I've read that the stress he put himself under was tremendous. Then in 1937 he was hit in the head by a pitch and it nearly killed him. Supposedly, he was never the same person or ball player after that. His downward spiral after that incident seems quite tragic, and sad.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:50 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
From a selfish Tiger fan's perspective, I'd like to see a movie about Mickey Cochrane and the story of him coming to the Tigers and leading them to their first modern day world series title. I've read that the stress he put himself under was tremendous. Then in 1937 he was hit in the head by a pitch and it nearly killed him. Supposedly, he was never the same person or ball player after that. His downward spiral after that incident seems quite tragic, and sad.
I own this image of that tragic event taken as it happened with the bat still falling.

It wasn't only this tragic moment that sent him in a spiral, though, it was also the war and the death of his son on D-Day.

I would love to see a more general movie of the Negro leagues. As a focus they could use many great players. Maybe Satchel Paige would be good since he had such a long career.

I would also love to see a beginning of Baseball movie. Because I am in St. Louis they could focus on Chris Von Der Ahe and his St. Louis Browns and his turning the game of Base ball into the business we see now (including theme nights and selling beer at the games).

Last edited by bn2cardz; 02-26-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:53 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie on Cochrane! I'm pretty sure it would probably be pretty low budget though.

I can't imagine anyone biting at the idea of a player who was never a defenitive superstar player.

Having a movie based off of a great catcher would be awesome. I'm unaware of much of Cochranes life other than the fact that Ty supported him after baseball in some form or another. I would definitely like to see that movie!
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 02-28-2016, 05:44 PM

A movie that I would see is the 1869 cincy red stockings from the beginning to when they where defeated through the perspective of harry wright and george wright.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:25 PM
Greg

Ted Williams would be the main character of a movie I'd love to see.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:36 PM
pariah1107

Having just completed a book on the man, very few baseball biographies measure up to Jimmy Claxton. A good portion of his career was spent in Roslyn, Washington which has been the location of several TV series (Northern Exposure), and movies. In almost suspended animation the town looks very similar to the way it looked in 1920's.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Jim Creighton

King Kelly

Ted Williams

Tony Conigliaro

Hank Aaron

Sidd Finch

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-29-2016, 01:27 PM

First one that came to mind was Clemente.

also...

Mark Fidrych

Rube Waddell

Walter Johnson

Kirby Puckett
Old 02-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

A King Kelly movie would be fantastic.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Now that I see these suggestions I agree Rube Waddell would make a great movie subject. Most people outside of baseball fans have never heard of him and wouldn't believe half of the stuff he did or at least is credited with.
Drew
Old 02-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Rick

Satchel Paige
Old 03-02-2016, 12:31 AM
Murr the Blurr

Urban Shocker. In addition to remarkable stats, he was baseball's first true "free agent" ... before tragedy struck.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:40 PM

Gabby Cravath

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-02-2016, 07:13 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Rick Ankiel

Jason Lane

A documentary of Lefty relievers that pitch on average to one hitter would be interesting too
Old 03-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Rick

Moe Berg too, baseball player and spy
Old 03-03-2016, 03:11 AM
Bill Gregory

Clemente would be my first choice. But if I were to go the unconventional route, I've always been fascinated by Hughie Jennings. The man led an interesting life, and he was a bit of a nut, to boot.

He attended Cornell Law School, and while he didn't finish his education there, he passed the Bar exam, and practiced law. Great baseball player, probably an even better coach/manager. His personality from the coaching box is legendary. Then there's his uncanny near-death experiences. How many men can say they survived not one, but two skull fractures? He was a highly intelligent man, yet he went diving into a swimming pool at night, only to learn it was empty after he'd cracked his skull.

"Should they make a movie about me? Eeeeeyah!!!"

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:07 AM

I would love seeing a Hack Wilson movie. He drank, he fought, he hit the ball hard. Anyone who has ever seen a photo of Hack knows there's a story to tell inside of that man.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I would love seeing a Hack Wilson movie. He drank, he fought, he hit the ball hard. Anyone who has ever seen a photo of Hack knows there's a story to tell inside of that man.
read 'Fouled Away - The Baseball Tragedy of Hack Wilson' by Clifton Blue Parker.

...along the same lines, how about Josh Gibson?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:43 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Wayne Terwilliger would make an interesting movie. He grew up in the Depression, made three combat landings with the Marines during World War II, and was present for The Shot Heard 'Round the World. He then spent over 50 years as a coach, including winning two World Series rings with the Twins.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Moe Berg too, baseball player and spy
Well the Moe Berg flick being made!

http://deadline.com/2016/04/paul-rud...in-1201746089/
Old 05-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I'll go outside the box and say Sidd Finch.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:55 PM

Thought not a vintage player, how about Matt Bush?

- reminds of Ron Leflore

second chances are frequently overvalued and certainly overplayed, but this one may stand out...if he stays on the straight and narrow...

...and makes a personal stand against drunk driving and works and contributes to victims rights.

I hope we all wish this guy good luck and hope he succeeds in the rest of his life.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:26 PM
And*y Quig!ey

RA Dickey is one that I would like to see and probably remains plausible as his memoir could serve as the source material; updated to capture his All-Star / Cy Young year (2012) and resulting payday.
I think Hollywood might see the story as having appeal similar to The Rookie (Jim Morris).
There seem to be the right number of movie moments ... the withdrawal of his signing bonus due to the missing arm ligament, his utter lack of MLB success (which can be illustrated with his six HR outing in 2006), appearing to be finished and resorting to learning the knuckleball, declining to take a contract to pitch in Korea because he dreamed of pitching in the majors again, getting that chance and eventually making the All-Star team, winning the Cy Young Award, and earning millions at an age when most pitchers are retired.

Last edited by ajquigs; 05-14-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:32 PM
ThreadKiller

Default yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
I'll go outside the box and say Sidd Finch.
my thoughts exactly...would be epic!

looks like ESPN 30/30 did a "short" feature, but a feature film sure wouldn't suck.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post
my thoughts exactly...would be epic!

looks like ESPN 30/30 did a "short" feature, but a feature film sure wouldn't suck.

With Sidd's feet acting as my avatar, you know I'd love to see that one too!

Old 05-15-2016, 05:27 PM

This movie has already been made in the bio piece on Dickey and Wakefield, Knuckleball.

For any Gehrig fans, a new film is currently underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajquigs View Post
RA Dickey is one that I would like to see and probably remains plausible as his memoir could serve as the source material; updated to capture his All-Star / Cy Young year (2012) and resulting payday.
I think Hollywood might see the story as having appeal similar to The Rookie (Jim Morris).
There seem to be the right number of movie moments ... the withdrawal of his signing bonus due to the missing arm ligament, his utter lack of MLB success (which can be illustrated with his six HR outing in 2006), appearing to be finished and resorting to learning the knuckleball, declining to take a contract to pitch in Korea because he dreamed of pitching in the majors again, getting that chance and eventually making the All-Star team, winning the Cy Young Award, and earning millions at an age when most pitchers are retired.

Last edited by Dewey; 05-15-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:39 PM

Default This Guy:

sidd finch3.jpg

sidd finch7.jpg

sidd finch6.jpg

sidd finch8.jpg

SIDD FINCH CARD.jpg

Old 05-15-2016, 10:01 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Casey Stengel

From having his own T210 card to managing the Mets, he pretty much did it all. A fun question would be which actor(s) would portray him?