NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Each fan can choose. Unfortunately many are so drunk with hero-worship that they're thrilled to be taken advantage of by their idols.
I wonder if Christian Lopez regrets giving up the Jeter 3000k ball for some trinkets and season ticket seats. A few hundred G in some investment accounts would have been the gift that kept on giving.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM

MLB wants it back so they can sell it for profit. And I'm supposed to have sympathy for their plight, why?

Clearly, MLB knows it's the fan's ball rightfully, otherwise they'd just take the ball away. And don't doubt it, they would. If you tried to walk out of the stadium with a seat or a banner, they'd have you arrested on the spot. MLB won't try and barter you for that seat, they'll have you taken off in handcuffs and banned from the stadium for life.

Last edited by drc; 05-31-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:54 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I can appreciate that in a big milestone event sometimes people take pity and give the fan something for handing it over. But most often it is NOT the team or MLB! And quite frankly they have the deepest pockets.

I remember on McGwire's 62nd HR ball the kid that caught it handed it over right away. (I'm not sure if he had to as a Cards employee) but later he was given a car or van by a local dealeship. Very nice of them, but I"m sure he could have bought several after auctioning it. And it was given to him by the dealership, not the Cards.

Another great story was Hank Aarons last HR ball. Picked up by an employee of the Brewers, they were under orders to return them all to Hank. He wanted to hand it over in person but the team was leaving for a road trip. He held onto it but was later notified he was fired for not handing it over. Turns out it would be Hanks last and the guy held it for years. Even went to a show and had him sign it! Finally auctioned it a few years ago for $650,000
Old 05-31-2012, 06:08 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I wonder if Christian Lopez regrets giving up the Jeter 3000k ball for some trinkets and season ticket seats. A few hundred G in some investment accounts would have been the gift that kept on giving.
I agree with your sentiments. I'm sorry, but the entire scenario around Jeter's 3000th was painful to watch. Someone with a half an ounce of business sense needed to talk turkey to that poor bastard.

Auction the thing off and help your family. While I admire his selfless nature, he came across as a sycophant fan boy.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:39 PM

There is nothing noble about being poor. If you can cash in on anything, then you should cash in. People who think they're doing a nice thing for a professional athlete are delirious. You've already done a nice thing for them by attending the game. But you never get a thank you.

Last edited by packs; 05-31-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
There is nothing noble about being poor. If you can cash in on anything, then you should cash in. People who think they're doing a nice thing for a professional athlete are delirious. You've already done a nice thing for them by attending the game. But you never get a thank you.
Sing it brother. It was a total circus and that kid was the elephant.

Last edited by Splinte1941; 05-31-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

He thinks he was gonna be jeters friend after that, like you can call him up in the offseason and ask to go hold hands and walk in central park.

they want to believe in the possibility that jeter will remember him and his kind action and even be buddies, but its never the case. jeter probably forgot the guys name already. he should have figured out the high retail price for the ball, then offer jeter right of first refusal, if he doesnt want to spend part of his 20 million dollar a year salary on the ball, he doesnt have to, but he had his chance.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-01-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
He thinks he was gonna be jeters friend after that, like you can call him up in the offseason and ask to go hold hands and walk in central park.

Fantastic as usual Travis.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinte1941 View Post
I agree with your sentiments. I'm sorry, but the entire scenario around Jeter's 3000th was painful to watch.
Jeter had that blank / disconnected stare on his face and looked as if he couldn't get away from the kid fast enough. It really was cringe inducing... I felt terrible for the kid.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Good points..Reminded on of that scene in 61 where the press ask Maris if he wants the HR ball back and he tells the kid to keep it and make as much as he can off it..That's how it should be.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Agreed. And how about the guy who returned the 2011 World Series Game 6 walk off HR ball to David Freese? He got a signed bat and ball I think...nice.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The Yankees and Jeter acted like they were buying Manhattan island the way they treated that kid. Unfortunately, no one with the business sense and moxy to stand up to the team flacks and the star who hit the ball is likely to be in the bleachers fighting for it. More likely he is a poor schmuck who has no idea of what the souvenir is worth and no concept of how he is being exploited.

Under no circumstance would I ever voluntarily give one of these pampered a$$holes a valuable ball I won in the post-HR rugby scrum. They want it, they can buy it same as anyone else, and not for trinkets, either. If I want tickets or signed crap I can buy it with the proceeds, probably many times over.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-01-2012, 02:05 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The Yankees and Jeter acted like they were buying Manhattan island the way they treated that kid. Unfortunately, no one with the business sense and moxy to stand up to the team flacks and the star who hit the ball is likely to be in the bleachers fighting for it. More likely he is a poor schmuck who has no idea of what the souvenir is worth and no concept of how he is being exploited.

Under no circumstance would I ever voluntarily give one of these pampered a$$holes a valuable ball I won in the post-HR rugby scrum. They want it, they can buy it same as anyone else, and not for trinkets, either. If I want tickets or signed crap I can buy it with the proceeds, probably many times over.
Bingo. Well said brother.