NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 AM
scott altland

Default Current trend in E card difficulty?

As far as E cards have any become increasingly difficult to find that have been previously relatively common?Cards of extreme rarity aka E107's don't count.Been out of the hobby for 2 years just trying to catch up.

Scott
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 AM
J@son M1ller

perhaps the lower prices realized on many of them have driven sellers underground waiting for better selling market. E107s as you mention are garnering high prices which bring more to market. If I had a collection of E cards right now, I'd probably be holding.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Steven

I started my 1915 Cracker Jack set exactly 2 years ago and the lower end commons have increased 150-200% in that time. The most dramatic increase started about 8 months ago into the holiday season and the trend continues up...an sgc 2 common sold for $110 on ebay a few days ago...I paid $45 for mine 18 months ago w/ the same grade. There are fewer cards up for sale as well...it seems there is more competition over cards/lots. I've completely stalled at 140 cards on the set and have only added a "single" card to the set a couple times since the holidays. Don't really know the entire history on these cards but the lower end commons seem to be pretty high currently...

Last edited by rainier2004; 05-06-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:39 AM
pete ullman

I follow caramel cards pretty closely and to me...the trends are that there are a bunch of master caramel set collectors out there...e94, e98...as well as a few oddball/freak caramel collectors.

Many are looking for a certain player with a certain color background color which is placing a premium on these cards as a few fight it out in the auction world...over a perceived/actual "rarity"...who knows?!

Any card with a "wrong" colored background...ie. grey/orange e94, odd E97 background colors...anything different and odd is still desirable.

But as far as I'm aware...there are no new rarities that weren't known a few years ago.

E94, E98 , e107 have continued to thrive...whereas many of the other caramel issues values are depressed!

But hold tight...The T206 bubble is starting to lose some air!!!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-06-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Greg Mitchell

Big surge in 1914 CJ prices in recent months, with 5s jumping to 600-700 dollars and 4s also climbing suddenly. Any explanation why?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 AM

As was mentioned above, I don't think there have been any new discoveries of rarities. While some E cards are picking up a bit, generally the prices on them are dramatically lower than they were at their peak about five years ago. IMHO, it is still bargain time on E cards. These things always go in cycles. E cards went on the downward cycle right as the recession hit and so they were hit twice as badly as other areas of vintage baseball card collecting imho.
JimB
Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 AM

I agree with Pete and Jim. There are several master set collectors of E98s and at least one master set collector of E94s which accounts for some of the scarcity of these set cards in the marketplace. Also, I think caramel cards in these two sets have always been tougher than mainstream tobacco card sets, just not always as popular. Finally, the selling prices for low to mid grade E94s and E98s is out of whack with their scarcity right now. I now have doubles on some cards but until the market corrects itself, they are going no where but in the safes.
This is a buyer's market right now and that is what I will continue doing. I believe card prices in general and caramel prices in particular, will rebound.
I can't speak to the CJs as I don't collect them but I remember picking up a lot of nice mid grade commons about 2 years ago for very little and flipping them a year later when I decided not to collect them. I've noticed that these same cards seem to be selling for more now than a year ago and bucking the trend but it may be simply because some collectors have done what they can with the tobacco mainstream sets and have moved in to CJs.

Last edited by tbob; 05-06-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Marty K.

Default Cracker Jacks 1915

Cracker Jacks are almost back where they were 3 years ago or so ...They bottomed out about a year and a half ago....... for a while there you could pick up the more common commons in sgc 4 for a hundred or less.....There are fewer cards available in ebay auctions now...... the coming book and anniversary might be helping the upward trend......some commons are very tuff to buy by themselves and have been........were some short printed?.....Also there have been very few available at the national in recent years.........
Old 05-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

I follow some sets very closely and other caramel sets not at all, heh...but for the ones I follow - e103s, e98s, e90-3s, etc... it seems as those cards have really dried up and sellers are hanging on to them. You don't see a lot of e103s made available nowadays except for the few on Ebay that have been there for months. e98s are plentiful if you're looking for HOFers. I'm looking for commons and there's very little available. Even the most common of e98 commons (ie..Dooin) are very difficult to come by. I've seen a few more e90-3s and e97s made available lately so maybe those sets is starting to come around a bit.

Was thinking about doing a Master set of the 120 (incl. Cicotte) commons for the e94 set. Yikes, sounds like I'd have a lot of competition though!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:35 PM
scott altland

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
I follow some sets very closely and other caramel sets not at all, heh...but for the ones I follow - e103s, e98s, e90-3s, etc... it seems as those cards have really dried up and sellers are hanging on to them. You don't see a lot of e103s made available nowadays except for the few on Ebay that have been there for months. e98s are plentiful if you're looking for HOFers. I'm looking for commons and there's very little available. Even the most common of e98 commons (ie..Dooin) are very difficult to come by. I've seen a few more e90-3s and e97s made available lately so maybe those sets is starting to come around a bit.

Was thinking about doing a Master set of the 120 (incl. Cicotte) commons for the e94 set. Yikes, sounds like I'd have a lot of competition though!
This may be a stupid question but why is it commons are more difficult then HOF's..it seems it would be the opposite.Is it individuals "flipping" HOF's for profit thus more available as compaired to the person who buys a common most times is interested in completing a set or even a type set so they sit in a collection.

Scott
Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Robert A

They're all wasting away in overpriced dealer museums.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goudey1933 View Post
This may be a stupid question but why is it commons are more difficult then HOF's..it seems it would be the opposite.Is it individuals "flipping" HOF's for profit thus more available as compaired to the person who buys a common most times is interested in completing a set or even a type set so they sit in a collection.

Scott
My theory on the commons is that kids from the 1910s, when they got the players in packs of candy, they were more like to keep or "take better care" of the big-name players from their time that they recognized or were likely amongst their favorite players. Guys they have never heard of were likely easier to discard, trade away or otherwise lose track of. This isn't true for all sets of course, and I don't really know if it's true for ANY set actually but I do know that it's pretty easy to get just about any HOFer you want out of the e98 set (money aside) but trying to get even a couple commons is like pulling teeth. Take a look at what Ebay is currently offering for e98s and you'll see what I mean. It's like 25 HOFers are available and 2-3 commons...
Old 05-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post

I usually never try to disuade any collector from collecting anything but I really don't think you want to try a non-HOF master set. I am down to a handful of color variations and haven't added a card in almost 2 years because certain color variations either don't come up ANYWHERE or maybe don't exist. It's very frustrating. You also end up paying too much for low grade cards because if one does come up, you know you will probably never see another. I agonized over buying the violet Cobb with borders trimmed off but decided not to pull the switch. I have 5 color variations of the Murray card, for example, but am not sure if a violet background one even exists! Very frustrating......
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I think the time to buy caramels was end of 2010- early 2011. Prices have for the most part appreciated over the past year.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Scott

Default E90-1 availabilty dried up

out of the 400 or so cards available on ebay, most are commons or common HOFs and only a handful are in auction format...most are sat at very high BIN and have been stagnant as far as inventory...

some low pop E90 cards rarely show up on ebay anymore...

and forget a rare card auction, not in existence anymore, as the well known rarities have hefty BIN prices....
Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 AM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
out of the 400 or so cards available on ebay, most are commons or common HOFs and only a handful are in auction format...most are sat at very high BIN and have been stagnant as far as inventory...

some low pop E90 cards rarely show up on ebay anymore...

and forget a rare card auction, not in existence anymore, as the well known rarities have hefty BIN prices....
Ebay is not an auction place since a couple years, it is a bigggg Wal Mart with item at fixed price.