NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Joe P.

Default Graders?

Do grading company's slab soak jobs?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Jeff

Knowingly or unknowingly?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potomac Yank View Post
If it was soaked in water and only left water marks (or no marks) they will slab and grade accordingly, at least that is my experience. Personally, I have no issue with soaking a card to get crap off of it....but that might be for another thread. Here is one that had a hunk of paper, the size of a dime on the back, and much of it couldn't be read, pre-soaking.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Joe P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Knowingly or unknowingly?

HRB ... Good question. --- But for the sake of the question, let's make believe somebody knew.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Josh K.

The answer is yes if soaked in water. My understanding based on a few limited discussions is that there is no way to tell if a card has been soaked in water (assuming it was done correctly) and that the card will be graded.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Banned

I just dug around a little and found that, yes, soaked cards can be graded.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Rob, can you post a link to your research? I'm curious about this issue but am just so busy today. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Banned

Jeff,

Busy or not, you'll find it more rewarding to dig for yourself. Plus, I don't think you really want to pick my brain.

Unless, of course, you're a newbie. Or a flipper.

Or Bubba.

Last edited by Rob D.; 07-16-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Matt Wieder

Excellent show gentleman. You're keeping me amused
Old 07-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Joe P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
I just dug around a little and found that, yes, soaked cards can be graded.

Bubba, we know they can ... that was proven in 2001, when SGC slabbed the worse amateur alteration job in history.

The question remains ... where do the Graders stand on soak jobs?

Like the trimmed card, do they consider it an alteration, and thus the Authentic listing?

Leon's Weaver is a great example ... a beautiful back soak job ... where's the Authentic marking on the slab? ... It was altered no?

What's the difference?

Are there any graders on this forum?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

I am virtually certain grading services know that many older cards that are submitted have been soaked to remove residue from scrapbooks.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Aut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potomac Yank View Post

Bubba, we know they can ... that was proven in 2001, when SGC slabbed the worse amateur alteration job in history.

The question remains ... where do the Graders stand on soak jobs?

Like the trimmed card, do they consider it an alteration, and thus the Authentic listing?

Leon's Weaver is a great example ... a beautiful back soak job ... where's the Authentic marking on the slab? ... It was altered no?

What's the difference?

Are there any graders on this forum?
There are graders from probably every grading company that read this forum quite a bit. I doubt they want to come on and explain a policy as it could be a two edged sword and a no win situation for them. That being said a couple things come to mind...

1. I have spoken with several head graders about "alterations". They don't consider soaking a card in water an alteration because it isn't one. (at least in their and my opinions).
2. If it has a slight stain from a soaking it gets graded as such and downgraded depending on the severity.
3. Maybe this is for another thread but the purists who think that if you do absolutely anything to a card, it's an alteration, are entitled to their view. It is contradictory to the graders I know and most of the hobbyists that don't collect ONLY by the number on the plastic. But again, everyone has a right to their own opinion. Personally, I think if we worry too much about minute things then it starts to take some of the fun out of the hobby....again, just my opinion.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Joe P.

It was one of the Chief Mahas of SGC that gave the OK to slab the amateur job in 2001 ... so much for expertise.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

A few weeks back, I sent a few T206 cards to get graded by SGC. One of them was a T206 Hal Chase card. This one had some scrapbook paper on the back side, which I had soaked to remove the paper. The paper came off nicely and only a tiny bit of barely noticeable glue residue was evident on the back side. Otherwise, the card displayed no creases but did have a tiny nick (or print imperfection) on his neck. I submitted the card to SGC and it was graded "SGC 30". Which, considering the circumstances was fair.

Here is the pic. Please excuse the glare from my camera and the registration on the card is way better then my picture shows...

On another note, just to prove how subjective grading really is. In the same submission, I sent a T206 Billy Campbell card to get graded. This one was NOT soaked and had what appeared to be tobacco(?) stains on the front side borders. It came back as an SGC 40. Both cards, were probably graded by the same person(s) (although, I have no way of confirming this). This small sample does not prove anything, other then what most already know..... SGC/PSA will grade soaked cards.....and at least in this small sample, it appears they grade tobacco stains not as harshly as glue stains.

Lovely Day...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Kevin S.

Got this one.

Every grader I have talked to does not consider soaking in water an alteration and will grade it accordingly.

There are times where you can tell a card has been cleaned, it has a different smell and if you look "very very closely" you can sometimes see loose fibers. These tiny hair-like pieces that usually all go the same direction. Also on vintage cards with rounded corners the worn edges will look somewhat cleaner than they should.