NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2013, 06:04 AM

Default Another newby to Net54

So, really I'm about 2 months old, posted a few times, but never really said "Hello." Rob from Philly (fun Eagles game last night, but that's for another board)-love all things baseball. Got back into the hobby recently after an 15-16 year hiatus (36 now) and still looking to find my way-more on that after a brief bio.

Back in the day prior to grading, my father and I were dealers at the local trade shows and flea markets. My interest in the hobby at an early age got him to relive his glory baseball days. Initially, I was into the "new stuff" and he dealt in the vintage. Before long, if it was beyond the 1960's I wasn't touching it. Then, it was off to college for me, and the collection was sold over a few years. I think my favorite card I ever owned was a super clean, crisp, bright 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese. Can't imagine it grading less than an 8.5.

So, current day....I started dabbling a little bit from my era-buying boxes of 1983 Topps and OPC trying to score a few 10's. Was a ton of fun opening the packs...talk about some bad cuts and centering though during those years...lots of 8's and 9's. Maybe 2 Gem 10's out of 4 boxes. Nevertheless, got me right back in.

Started looking at the T206's as a set to start acquiring....just too many great stories, websites, about the set, now all the hype with the scarce backs, etc. Definitely tough to find any bargains out there anymore scouring through eBay for hours and hours-at least from what I am seeing. Seems to probably be the most collected set around. Will take any advice...

Also started looking at some of the boxing tobacco sets...not nearly the same size market as baseball cards, but the sets are much smaller, so I felt these were something I could start and complete in much less time.

So, that's my brief bio. Welcoming all thoughts, feedback, input, etc.

Rob
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Dave_Berg

Welcome!! You will get lots of ideas and advice here. Good luck
Old 09-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome Rob. You will be in good company here if you do pre-war and specifically T206. The Monster seems to be doing just fine and picking up steam lately. Good luck in the quest and have some fun!! We are with you..
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Robert J. Miller

Welcome aboard. Since you are 36 now, I guess you were about 6 or 7 doing shows with your father in the early 80's. I would not be surprised if I was setting up next to you at one point. The early 80's was when I was doing shows in the Philly area quite often. Again welcome aboard!
Happy collecting!
Robert
Old 09-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

welcome aboard the board!!
all the best,
barry
Old 09-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Bill Gregory

A warm welcome to you, Rob.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM

Default Hello!!

Welcome friend......PICK t206!

It's all I collect.....just about......There are so many, many ways to collect the monster....team sets, players, HOFERs, poses,subset backs, variations, backs , ect, ect, ect....something for every budget, you can collect beater commons for $10, or freaks and rare backs that will go multi K......I collect the Sov 460, AB 350 No frame, and sweet cap 460 f #25subsets, and my favorite, THE FREAKS!! The printer's scraps and miscuts and freaks are extremely kewl.....

Go to the T206resource.com .... great place to learn about the set....and ask us here

Peace

Johnny

Welcome back
Old 09-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Default Welcome

Hey there Rob. Welcome

Z Wheat
Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Matt

Hi!

I am also 36. I dabbled in set building for a while, but over time found myself less into acquiring commons and more drawn to key cards of legendary players. It can sure seem daunting deciding how to shape a collection, but whatever you choose, doubtless it will be fun and a great escape from the usual daily stress. Sometimes I feel like starting a set for fun alongside shooting for iconic cards, but then I remember resources are finite! So much good stuff to collect.

In this day and age of Internet plus TPGs, cards are also so liquid that shifting focus is quite easy should that ever be decided.

Congrats on returning to the hobby and best of luck acquiring whatever you pursue!

Best,

Matt

Last edited by MattyC; 09-10-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:27 PM

Default thanks everyone

thanks everyone...will keep you posted with my progress.

rob