NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-19-2016, 06:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default 94 SP Arod

I ran across a couple of these today in PSA 9 on ebay and they are selling for $75. To me that is remarkable, they used to be 300 plus if not more. 600 HR 3000 hits but no.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:40 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Use steroids and your market falls out, because you lose a huge portion of people who originally collected you. Same with McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, Clemens, etc cards.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:30 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I remember meeting a guy at a card show around 2005 who bought every single ne he could for $55 each no matter condition. He thought he could flip them and triple his money by the time ARod retired. Hope he sold them about 6 years ago. At the time I met him he said he had close to 1500 copies.
Drew
Old 05-19-2016, 09:12 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Surprises me ! I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for one. I don't know who's really collecting A Roid.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Tiffany Traded Bonds seem to have come back a long way though.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Tiffany Traded Bonds seem to have come back a long way though.
The 85 Tiffany McGwire has not though.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

1984 fleet update roger Clemens is a good performer. I really want that card but the asking prices always way more then I'm willing to pay.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:52 PM

Default '94 sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I remember meeting a guy at a card show around 2005 who bought every single ne he could for $55 each no matter condition....... he said he had close to 1500 copies.
Drew
Wow! By complex mathematic calculations it looks like that's over $82,000 in a single card. Talk about portfolio concentration risk.....

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 05-24-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Wow! By complex mathematic calculations it looks like that's over $82,000 in a single card. Talk about portfolio concentration risk.....
I remember he as young, ambitious, arrogant and when he walked in to the show every dealer paid attention because he would buy every rookie from the 80's and early 90's you had. If memory serves right I think he was some hot shot attorney with lots of cash to spend.
Drew

Last edited by almostdone; 05-24-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Larry

The problem with A-Roid is not just the steroids, but the fact that he firmly established himself as the most untruthful SOB who ever played major league sports. I sold some of his rare rookies in 2007, and haven't looked back since!

Regards,

Larry

PS: McGwire's regular '85 Topps rookie seems to be on a mission--"10's" are up from around the low $500 range a year ago to $800-$1000 now; and even "9's" are following suit--up from the low $30 range to $55-$65. If you don't care about the steroid issue, he really was quite Bunyonesque.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I remember meeting a guy at a card show around 2005 who bought every single ne he could for $55 each no matter condition. He thought he could flip them and triple his money by the time ARod retired. Hope he sold them about 6 years ago. At the time I met him he said he had close to 1500 copies.
Drew
Sad--reminds me of the local dealer who quite seriously told me he was going to retire on Ken Griffey Jr. Diversification, anyone?

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 07-07-2016, 09:42 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Sad--reminds me of the local dealer who quite seriously told me he was going to retire on Ken Griffey Jr. Diversification, anyone?

Best wishes,

Larry
If your friend had focused on 89 UD griffey 10s he would have done ok. Maybe not a retirement plan but they've been going up steadily from 200 2-3 years ago to about 400 now. I know there are a lot of them but was the card for collectors who started in that era like myself. No ties to steroids. I think high end griffeys are a good investment personally.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
If your friend had focused on 89 UD griffey 10s he would have done ok. Maybe not a retirement plan but they've been going up steadily from 200 2-3 years ago to about 400 now. I know there are a lot of them but was the card for collectors who started in that era like myself. No ties to steroids. I think high end griffeys are a good investment personally.
Ah, none proven. Gained considerable size, body fell apart on him, just got too bulky to be the complete athlete he was in his 20's. I can't buy that no matter how many people say otherwise. Sad thing is, just like Bonds he had so much incredible talent he never needed to do it.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:25 AM

I had an aunt that dated a scout for the Twins through the late 80s and early 90s. He had me so sold on both Rick Ankiel and JD Drew simply because he was a scout/insider that I bought in as much as I could making minimum wage in Jersey in 1999/2000.

I was told Drew's cards would put me through college.

They did not.

At all.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:26 AM

Meanwhile, a PSA 9 SP Jeter rookie went for over $3000 last night. Couldn't believe that 8s are routinely 250-300 now.

Unreal.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Ah, none proven. Gained considerable size, body fell apart on him, just got too bulky to be the complete athlete he was in his 20's. I can't buy that no matter how many people say otherwise. Sad thing is, just like Bonds he had so much incredible talent he never needed to do it.

I don't really think he gained considerable size at all. Griffey was bloated, as in an out of shape old dude, by the end of his career. Listed at 195 in 1989 and 230 in 2010. That's 30 pounds in 20 years, and I would not call his 230 "muscular".
Old 08-01-2016, 04:10 PM
Le.if Eld.evik

I agree re: ARod

McGwire will be forever linked to steroids. But he was always considered a nice guy. One of the bash brothers. There is some nostalgia there.

ARod is like Bonds. They are guys that put up historic numbers. Otherwise I don't see people getting teary eyed and nostalgic about them. For the Yankees those fans have Jeter and Rivera for that era. I don't think he really has a team that considers him "their" guy.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradegeek View Post
I agree re: ARod

McGwire will be forever linked to steroids. But he was always considered a nice guy. One of the bash brothers. There is some nostalgia there.

ARod is like Bonds. They are guys that put up historic numbers. Otherwise I don't see people getting teary eyed and nostalgic about them. For the Yankees those fans have Jeter and Rivera for that era. I don't think he really has a team that considers him "their" guy.
I can see that.

I'm a Red Sox fan, and while I disliked the hype over Jeter on occasion he and Rivera were hard to dislike (unless they were beating the Sox then it was easy ) Arod wasn't really a player I liked. When everyone was upset about the deal to bring him to Boston getting cancelled, I was quite happy. Great numbers, but always seemed to make the teams he went to worse.

Steve B
Old 08-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Larry

Quote:
If you think 3-4% compounded annually is a good investment. Over one million printed plus more gems for Upper Deck employees. Just way, way too many. An iconic card? Yes. A good investment? Don't bet the farm (or even a small, backyard vegetable garden) on it. 3-4% may even be highly optimistic in a true COLLECTOR'S MARKET, not a speculative, investor's--that would mean its value would double every 18-24 years. There's still a lot of pack-fresh, ungraded one's out there.

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 08-09-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:44 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
If you think 3-4% compounded annually is a good investment. Over one million printed plus more gems for Upper Deck employees. Just way, way too many. An iconic card? Yes. A good investment? Don't bet the farm (or even a small, backyard vegetable garden) on it. 3-4% may even be highly optimistic in a true COLLECTOR'S MARKET, not a speculative, investor's--that would mean its value would double every 18-24 years. There's still a lot of pack-fresh, ungraded one's out there.

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry
To be fair you never said when your friend made the decision to invest in griffey. It's pretty difficult to calculate an annual rate of return without that information. They have gone up about 100% in the last 3 years which is a decent rate of return.

I'm not personally betting the farm on them, I have 2 PSA 10 griffeys in my personal collection, along with a few of his other less expensive rookies. One I picked up for 200, and the other I pulled a couple of weeks later from one of those leaf best of baseball boxes. I do believe they're still buys at current prices. But if they go up to a grand or more, or drop back to 200 or less, they will stay in my collection as 89 was my first year collecting as a kid and griffey was my favorite player. I always wanted one back then, even ripped open a few packs trying to find one but never did at the time.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Larry

Quote:
Not even close. Until the recent investment market, PSA gem mint "10's" were going in the $300 range in June, 2016. That represents little, if any, real change in the true collector market from the August, 2009 SMR, which had them at $240. Since SMR is and has been traditionally low, it is a fair assumption that real sales SEVEN YEARS AGO were at or approaching $300. Disregarding the recent investment surge, which most real collectors can see is most likely unsustainable, the real increase in value of this card OVER THE LAST SEVEN YEARS AS A MATTER OF ACTUAL FACT WAS ABOUT 10-25%. 10-25%, not annually, BUT TOTAL. Should it return to that pace, which when the investors leave is probably quite likely, that means it will take the card 28 years or more to achieve a real doubling in value. That rate of appreciation is less than 3% compounded annually. I wouldn't bet the farm (and I own one) on it being a good investment with that track record!

But to each his own and best of luck to you,

Larry

PS: The Winter 2007 edition of Beckett's Graded Card Investor & Price Guide, which I found to be as up to date as was reasonably possible while it was being published, listed the PSA 10 Griffey, Jr. at $350. Hence, the card basically flat-lined for 9 YEARS until it's recent run-up this past summer. That run-up to about $450 was due either to the recent influx of investor types, or to what is most likely a temporary surge due to his hall of fame induction this year. At any rate, the rate of appreciation for the last 9 years has been just 2.3% compounded annually, lower than even I would have guessed. But completely understandable, with probably little more than a tenth of what's out there having been graded by PSA, and over 27,000 "8"'s, over 20,000 "9"'s, and 2717 "10"'s already graded. Simply stated, there are not only just too many of them already, but likely a supply that will be increasing for some time to come.

Last edited by ls7plus; 08-17-2016 at 02:59 PM.