NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2015, 12:41 PM

Default 33 Goudey and Trimming?

For whatever reason I've always struggled with 33 Goudey's and determining if they have the correct sizing. I recently bought a few that I would like to grade but some of the edges are a bit off (little pushes and inconsistencies here and there) and I don't know if it's because they are just nicer than I usually handle or if there is something amiss. I hate being paranoid so was hoping for a few opinions. Thanks in advance.

The left edge of the Goslin, and maybe the top seem a bit off. Measures almost exactly right (a tad wider LR and a tad shorter TB). If you put it on a flat surface a bit of light shines through when laid on the left side, indicating the corners stick out a bit (looks a bit more noticeable in person - took a pic of the other side to show my table is flat).

The Joe Kuhel top edge concerns me - measures a tad over 2 3/8" LR and and maybe a bit more than 1/32" short of 2 7/8" TB.

The right edge of the Combs is a bit fuzzy. Additionally, where I can see the 3 layers of the card when I look at the side of the other two cards, this is much harder to discern the layers, i.e. the side looks fairly homogenous (ink pattern looks right under a microscope though). Measures right on.

Last edited by wastewater; 09-12-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

If you got them on eBay from "High4design," I can relate. He was selling these in groups of five. I bought one of these groups myself. Although they are in very sharp condition, mine also measure just short from top to bottom. The main concern I have is that when you stack them all together, they appear to all be of slightly different dimensions, causing some to stick out more than others. I compared their sizes to several of my graded Goudeys, and found four of them to be a bit short, at least top to bottom. I think they have been very professionally trimmed, but trimmed nonetheless.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:34 PM
rgpete

Default 1935 Goudey

I went through the same thing. My card is a 4 in 1, I measured the card in three spots top, middle, and bottom on the length and width. My card is 1/32 long in length and 1/32 short on the width, all consistent at all spots. Then I checked the toning of the edges with a 10x jewelers loupe for consistency under a bright light all had the same tone. I got this from google search "trimmed cards" I think it was an article from a net54 member, not sure, hope this helps. I did a post similar about the 1935 goudeys what would be the general tolerance of the actual published size . No one could answer that

Last edited by rgpete; 09-12-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:49 PM

Thanks for both of the responses. I did purchase from the seller mentioned in the first reply and am thankful you responded because I had the same experience upon opening them, but as noted sometimes feel as if I am a bit too paranoid. Will contact the seller to return. Appreciate the forum!
Old 09-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

For what it's worth I think they're ok. The edge quality looks right compared to my other Goudeys. Mine also vary by size, not an uncommon thing back then.

Even the slightly crooked edge is possibly ok. If there's a bit of debris or unevenness where the paper gets stacked on the cutter it can create an edge that isn't straight. The blade passes through the paper and into a sacrificial strip. Back then it was wood, more recently it was plastic. The wood was prone to having bits come out as it wore.

Steve B
Old 09-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

As was previously stated 33 Goudeys vary in size. One thing I've noticed recently is that the six cards I own (3 graded, 3 raw) from the 10th and final series/sheet that was released, players from the two 1933 World Series teams, Giants and Senators, all are either right on 2 7/8" or slightly shorter top to bottom. Card numbers are 107-114, 121-127, 232-240. All other Goudeys I have, (60 or so) all measure at least 2 7/8" or more. I'm sure there are other people more knowledgeable than me on this subject on here that can contribute to this discussion. Ted???
Old 09-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't see obvious trimming...
Old 09-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

I'd be more worried about ones in holders than raw ones.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.