NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 PM

The sunlight on Ruth's uniform? Incredible.

Your son? The same.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Dan Bretta

1000+ posts. I nominate this thead for enshrinement in the Net54 Thread Hall Of Fame.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:39 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks so much, David!! We're completely over the moon with excitement/joy/anxiety/exhaustion. What a surreal trip it's been so far, and we're only 12 days in...

And Dan, doesn't a thread have to be retired for five years before being enshrined?

Last edited by GKreindler; 08-03-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Thanks so much, David!! We're completely over the moon with excitement/joy/anxiety/exhaustion. What a surreal trip it's been so far, and we're only 12 days in...

And Dan, doesn't a thread have to be retired for five years before being enshrined?
I hadn't thought of that...it might be a long wait.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Congrats on the little one. Some of your best work yet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Bill Boyd

Graig,
That study of Gehrig is a winner, almost as good as the photo of your son. Another prodigy in the Kreindler household no doubt. Can't wait to see his first Nettles.

Bill

Last edited by billyb; 08-03-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks so much, Mark and Bill. It's no surprise to tell you that we're experiencing ALL the emotions.

As I alluded to on Facebook with David, I just need to find him a nice vintage Highlanders onesie for the colder months!
Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Hope this entry finds everyone well and keeping cool.

I got these two paintings back from the photographers today and thought I'd share:

Roberto Clemente, July 3, 1955, 24" x 18"

Honus Wagner T206, 10" x 18"

Both of these are part of the back load of commissions I've been trying to finish up in the last few months. It's amazing how much having a newborn can slow things down!

The Clemente was very much a labor of love, as I went pretty batshit when I first saw that the actual photo from this existed. I've always loved that '56 Topps card, so being given the opportunity to recreate what it might have looked like in person was an absolute honor. I hope the client enjoys it as much as I did making it.

The Wagner, though very time consuming, was also good fun. I don't normally love doing these card commissions, as I feel like I don't really add anything special to them, but I definitely gave it my best to create sort of a trompe l'oeil effect, which I think works. Hopefully.

Anywho, back to the easel in an attempt to continue getting caught up. I'll also be having some new color studies up on eBay in the next few weeks, so if anyone is interested in hearing about them or getting a preview, just drop me a line.

As per usual, any thoughts, comments, or critiques are ALWAYS appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Graig
Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Sweet!
Old 08-20-2015, 08:07 PM

Incredible Graig! Congrats on your 1st child, BTW.
They are awesome & I wish you all the best with fatherhood.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Hey all,

Hope this entry finds everyone well and keeping cool.

I got these two paintings back from the photographers today and thought I'd share:

Roberto Clemente, July 3, 1955, 24" x 18"

Honus Wagner T206, 10" x 18"

Both of these are part of the back load of commissions I've been trying to finish up in the last few months. It's amazing how much having a newborn can slow things down!

The Clemente was very much a labor of love, as I went pretty batshit when I first saw that the actual photo from this existed. I've always loved that '56 Topps card, so being given the opportunity to recreate what it might have looked like in person was an absolute honor. I hope the client enjoys it as much as I did making it.

The Wagner, though very time consuming, was also good fun. I don't normally love doing these card commissions, as I feel like I don't really add anything special to them, but I definitely gave it my best to create sort of a trompe l'oeil effect, which I think works. Hopefully.

Anywho, back to the easel in an attempt to continue getting caught up. I'll also be having some new color studies up on eBay in the next few weeks, so if anyone is interested in hearing about them or getting a preview, just drop me a line.

As per usual, any thoughts, comments, or critiques are ALWAYS appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Graig
Looks like you were able to really "brush up" on damages on these too. Congrats.. They look really beat up. You the best buddy.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 08-20-2015, 08:15 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Graig,
As usual, great pieces but I especially love that Clemente. Every time I see one of your larger works I find it hard to determine that it was truly a painting and not a photograph. That's one of my favorite images of Clemente and you captured it perfectly.

I hope you can catch up on your backlog as I know how the daily grind of work can be but don't forget to stop and hold that baby every chance you get. The work pays the bills but those moments with your child fill the heart.

Keep it all up and please keep posting progress. It's as close as some of us will ever get to own in one.

Drew
Old 08-20-2015, 08:25 PM
Joe

Stunning Graig, as usual. I wonder how long before some scammer throws that image of Wagner up on eBay and tries to sell it as some card he "found in his attic".
Old 08-21-2015, 07:46 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Graig, the Wagner is fantastic!

You've apparently perfected imperfection! If that's even possible.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:00 AM
James

Gorgeous pieces!
Old 08-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

Most amazing artwork I've seen...By far...That Wagner is incredible
Old 08-22-2015, 05:29 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

The Clemente is truly something special!!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 08-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Keith O'Leary

I think the Wagner is incredible and truly something special! I'm sitting here looking at it on my iPad and blew it up with my thumb and forefinger, Graig....amazing talent.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Keith O'Leary

I think we need another raffle.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you so much for the kind words, everybody - both in regards to the paintings and about the newborn!! The last month, to say the least, has been insane. Full of joy and wonderment, but insane.

That Clemente was really a lot of fun to do, and a bit of a different kind of image to tackle. In a way, I didn't want Clemente to be as much the focus as the texture of that Ebbets Field wall. To me, that's the most interesting part of the image. All of the impasto and texture doesn't translate super well in the photography, but in the original, I feel like it shines.

Honus was also an exercise in treating a surface differently than I normally try for. That moiré pattern drove me absolutely batsh!t - it was actually the part of the painting that gave me the most trouble. Convincingly duplicating it by hand is RREEAALLLYYYY tough to do, and I wasn't able to tackle it without a stencil. And then making sure it sat back as much as it needed to, and that the size of the dots (and spaces between) were sized correctly and even...just nutty. But I do hope that it translates well in the original and comes across as looking like the card.

Keith, I would love to do another raffle in the next few months or so, but I would be a little worried that I wore out my welcome in the last one. If there are enough people interested though, then we can definitely do another. I think it wouldn't even be for a set figure - I would just paint whatever size the combined raffle proceeds get me to. Or something like that.

If tickets went back down to $10 each, would you guys be interested?

Graig
Old 08-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Yes!

Craig,

I think I speak for a bunch of folks on here to say a resounding "Yes" to the $10 raffle idea. The thought of possibly winning a work of art from you for the cost of a scratch ticket well......makes me "itchy" and "scratchy" .

Thanks!

Mike
Old 08-27-2015, 05:50 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Raffle baby raffle.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:22 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Hope the summer's wrapped up nicely for everyone. The weather in Brooklyn is starting to cool down a little bit later on in the day, so it's starting to feel like the fall...which I guess means that baseball's almost over...boooooo.

Anywho, I just wanted to share stuff that I got back from the photographers this week, the majority of which were color studies. It was a pretty busy month as far as those were concerned.

The majority of them are spoken for, but there are still some of them available on eBay.

Hope you enjoy 'em!

Moses Fleetwood Walker, 1883

Eddie Plank, 1902

Christy Mathewson, 1912

Ty Cobb, 1915

Ty Cobb, 1916

Babe Ruth, 1918

Babe Ruth, 1919

Lou Gehrig, 1923

Babe Ruth, 1926

Lou Gehrig, 1937

Joe DiMaggio, 1939

Ted Williams, ca. 1941

Roy Campanella, 1948

Sandy Koufax, 1955

Mickey Mantle, 1956

Ernie Banks, 1957

Ernie Banks, 1957

Al Kaline, ca. 1960s

If any of you are interested in seeing color studies that are still available for sale, here's what's on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/graigkreindl...p2047675.l2562

And again, to avoid extra fees, I'm happy to sell them off of the site for $630 with shipping. If you're interested, just PM or email me (gkreindler@gmail.com).

As per usual, feel free to share any questions, problems, critiques or suggestions.

Thanks for checking it all out!

Graig
Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 AM
Jordan Gluck

They should induct you in the Hall of Fame Graig
Old 09-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks, J. Though I think if that were to happen, their stock would plummet precipitously.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:39 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Thank you so much for the kind words, everybody - both in regards to the paintings and about the newborn!! The last month, to say the least, has been insane. Full of joy and wonderment, but insane.

That Clemente was really a lot of fun to do, and a bit of a different kind of image to tackle. In a way, I didn't want Clemente to be as much the focus as the texture of that Ebbets Field wall. To me, that's the most interesting part of the image. All of the impasto and texture doesn't translate super well in the photography, but in the original, I feel like it shines.

Honus was also an exercise in treating a surface differently than I normally try for. That moiré pattern drove me absolutely batsh!t - it was actually the part of the painting that gave me the most trouble. Convincingly duplicating it by hand is RREEAALLLYYYY tough to do, and I wasn't able to tackle it without a stencil. And then making sure it sat back as much as it needed to, and that the size of the dots (and spaces between) were sized correctly and even...just nutty. But I do hope that it translates well in the original and comes across as looking like the card.

Keith, I would love to do another raffle in the next few months or so, but I would be a little worried that I wore out my welcome in the last one. If there are enough people interested though, then we can definitely do another. I think it wouldn't even be for a set figure - I would just paint whatever size the combined raffle proceeds get me to. Or something like that.

If tickets went back down to $10 each, would you guys be interested?

Graig
I just saw this post and I say...YES YES YES! to take part in another raffle would be great. Lets do this.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Just wanted to wish everyone the happiest of holidays!

This thread needs some updatin', which I'm hoping to get to in the coming week or two.

I hope you're all doing well.

Graig
Old 12-25-2015, 07:41 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Hey all,

Just wanted to wish everyone the happiest of holidays!

This thread needs some updatin', which I'm hoping to get to in the coming week or two.

I hope you're all doing well.

Graig
What's wrong with you? You post without showing us anything? What an attention wh😇re. That said, Merry Christmas and happy holidays Graig!

Old 12-25-2015, 08:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
What's wrong with you? You post without showing us anything? What an attention wh😇re. That said, Merry Christmas and happy holidays Graig!
Maybe he's all painted out? Hope you are well Ben (*you too Graig)....and Happy Holidays to everyone!!
Old 12-25-2015, 09:58 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Update

I'd LOVE to see a Brooksie... The '66 WS painting is incredible, but a classic portrait of "Mr. Impossible" would be awesome.

Man, those color studies are very nice. I especially like the Williams, Banks (straight on), Mathewson and the Campy.

Merry Christmas to all by the way!
Old 12-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Joe Gonsowski

This is a double post for me, having already posted it to the baseball card side, but it probably belongs here more than anywhere . . .

I have been thrilled to have Graig Kreindler work his magic on the most beloved Detroit Wolverine, Charlie Bennett. Charlie was one of two players to play every year of the Wolves existence (1881-1888; Ned Hanlon being the other) and the city was proud to have one of the game’s best in Detroit. During his early years, Charlie would lead the team in most offensive categories and throughout his career lead the whole League in defensive categories, recognized as the best defensive catcher of his time. Charlie’s popularity would extend well beyond his playing days when he returned to Detroit after a train accident took both of his legs and cut his career short (January 10th, 1894). When the Western League Detroit Tigers brought baseball back to Detroit in 1896 the new ball park, by popular vote, would be named Bennett Park. The Tigers would graduate from Western League to American League in 1901 and Bennett Park remained their home through the 1911 season when owner Frank Navin built a new larger stadium with his own namesake. Bennett Park would see some outstanding Tiger teams (1907-1909 AL Champs) and Charlie remained a fixture on the Detroit baseball scene, catching the first pitch of every home opener from 1896 through 1926 (excluding 1898 due to sickness). He was often joined by his close friends and old teammates, Sam Thompson and Lady Baldwin. Bennett would pass November 1926.

The 12”x16” oil painting is based on a portrait of Charlie taken by Tomlinson Studio on April 27th, 1886. The painting was put on hold half-finished for the better part of a year as we tried to confirm the proper colors. Everything was painted in high confidence with possible exception to the “DETROIT” lettering which is likely accurate in red for the “away” 1886 uniform Charlie is wearing. Several references were found and documented on Craig Brown’s “Threads of Our Game” site (fantastic resource for early baseball jersey renditions). Here is the entry for the 1886 Detroit uniforms.

The painting is impressive in person; my cell phone camera doesn’t do it justice. I’ve also attached the cabinet photo it is based on.

Thank you Graig Kreindler!

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 12-28-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: corrected size of painting
Old 12-26-2015, 08:23 PM
David McDonald

Congrats, Joe. Another beautiful painting by Master Kreindler. Speaking from experience I can tell you that it will stun and delight you every time you look at it for years to come.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:11 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Wow. It's like I could literally reach out and tighten those laces on the jersey.

Once again.....awesome!
Old 12-27-2015, 04:42 AM

Terrific, Joe and Graig!
Charlie Bennett is an absolute beauty!
Old 12-27-2015, 06:54 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Charlie Bennett

That Charlie Bennett is just amazing!
Old 12-27-2015, 07:23 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Nice piece Joe!
Old 12-27-2015, 07:57 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Graig is certainly the master of mustache rides.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:40 PM

Having an original Kreindler is truely on my bucket list. Someday, someday....

What is amazing to me about outstanding artists like Graig is how they have a seventh sense that the rest of us just don't have. When we look at a cream shirt, we see one color - cream. Graig will see that same shirt and see six different colors. When we see light and dark, Craig processes that differently and sees it as colors instead. Add in the steady hand and the patience and it's all truely amazing.

Rob M.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Robert Klevens

Default Kreindler in Goldin Auctions

It is not often you see an original Kreindler available, but there is a gorgeous Cy Young painting in the current Goldin Auction

https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail...entoryid=19734
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19734a_lg.jpg (13.7 KB, 265 views)
Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
It is not often you see an original Kreindler available, but there is a gorgeous Cy Young painting in the current Goldin Auction

https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail...entoryid=19734
Huh.... Shocker.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:55 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the kind words and well-wishes this holiday season. And thank you all for being patient with me as I get back to a 'normal' life. With a soon-to-be six month old around, things aren't quite the same as they were. And I'm imagining they never will be.

The painting of Charlie Bennett that I did for Joe was an absolute labor of love. As I know I've opined to a lot of you, I really do enjoy painting these lesser-known guys, especially those who aren't in the Hall of Fame. And as Joe will attest to, Bennett had a VERY interesting history in the game, and was quite the beloved figure in Detroit's baseball scene until his death in 1927. So when I was approached about it, I didn't even think twice. I'm thrilled that he likes the finished piece so much.

Regarding the auction of the Cy Young painting, well, I just hope it goes to a good home. I never really like seeing my stuff on the secondary market like that (when it's not through my own doing, I mean), but it's unavoidable. It just kinda feels like one of my kids is being sold to the highest bidder, but then again I'm probably a lot more attached to this stuff than most people are. I do wish Goldin used a better photo of the painting and had some updated bio information, but it's not really for me to decide.

That not withstanding, here are a few pieces that have been completed over the past couple of months:

Fred Snodgrass & Home Run Baker, October 17, 1911, 28" x 16"

Hank Aaron, 1956, 16" x 24"

George Lederer & Sandy Koufax, October 3, 1965, 25" x 20"

The painting of Home Run Baker being spiked by Fred Snodgrass was commissioned by Bloomsbury Publishing, as it's to be on the cover of the new Maury Klein book, Stealing Games. Anyone interested in learning a little bit more about the book (or seeing the cover), check out amazon's link:

http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Games.../dp/1632860244

It was a cool image to tackle, as it's very different from the kind of shots I normally work with. And the dank atmosphere of the misty afternoon at the Polo Grounds was a lot of fun to play with.

You're probably thinking that the Hank Aaron painting is exactly the same as the one I did for the first Net54 raffle winner. It's actually from the same day, probably only a second or two before/after that other one was taken. You'll notice most of the differences in his hands and face.

The Lederer and Koufax painting was a holiday commission for George's son, Richard. For any of you unfamiliar with George's work and legacy, I highly recommend checking this piece out from Baseball Analysts (written by Richard):

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives..._80th_birt.php

The scene is from after the last day of the season, where Sandy Koufax was presented with a 'Dodger of the Year' trophy for his excellence throughout the season (actually, it was presented to the Dodger who had won 'Dodger of the Day' the most times that year - who was invariably Sandy). Anywho, it was to be an heirloom for Richard and his family, and thankfully, he was very pleased.

On the easel now is Phil's huge 1927 Yankees painting, which STILL hasn't been finished. I recently put a bow on the Bill Barilko piece from way back, so that'll make its way to the new owner soon. All of this means that I'm slowly catching up with my waiting list here, so that makes me happy. For those of you who have been on it for a while, I can't even articulate how much I appreciate your patience. Thank you.

Additionally, I've been finishing up other color studies, some of which are still on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/sch/graigkreindl...p2047675.l2562), and others that are being tweaked here and there. Those include Cap Anson (1875), Ed Delahanty (1892), Josh Gibson (1945), Ted Williams (1939), Christy Mathewson (1909), Jim Devlin (1876), Ken Griffey Jr. (1990), Gil Hodges (1950), Lou Gehrig (1928) and Babe Ruth (1920).

And here are some smaller uncommissioned pieces that I have going in my spare time (which is non-existent), too:

Napoleon Lajoie, 1902, 12" x 16"

Bill Dahlen, 1903, 12" x 16"

Honus Wagner, 1902, 16" x 22"

I guess I'm sticking with a Horner T206 theme here? I have MANY more I'd like to paint in that same vein.

Anywho, sorry for the super long post. Hope you all dig what you see, and if you have any questions or comments, feel free to fire away!

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 01-12-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Jacob

This is amazing, gorgeous work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Bill Boyd

Graig,

Great paintings again, really enjoying that Lajoie study. The three full size paintings are just remarkable. That Baker/Snodgrass painting is just unhumanly perfect Graig.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:33 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

That Snodgrass is sick!!!! Love it!!!!
Old 01-15-2016, 07:08 PM
McKinzie Eli Lambert

Graig, you never cease to amaze me! You are truly a talented young man. A gift to the baseball world!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:08 PM

I'm such a fan, Graig. I love the painting of Sandy and George Lederer.

BTW, George Lederer was also the Angels PR man that dreamed up the Nolan Ryan "Guess the Speed Night" in 1974 that I have opined about in another post recently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan speed test press release.jpg (55.2 KB, 648 views)
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan speed night newspaper clippings-3.jpg (63.9 KB, 653 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 01:14 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

That Snodgrass is just sick for so many reasons. Whereas your portrait work is beyond phenomenal, that painting just throws us out onto the field in 1911. Anyone who looks at ancient black and white photos of baseball games truly has a hard time imagining what it 'looked' like way back when. That canvas makes us truly feel like we're right there and smelling the grass. Bra-frickin'-vo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you so much for all of your kind words, everybody. I really do appreciate every single last one of them. Without y'all in my corner, I wouldn't be able to do any of this.

I've been busy this past month, mostly which some unfinished stuff that'll make its way up here at some point in the near future. But as for finished work, there are two to speak of.

The first was a painting of Mickey that I've always wanted to do, but didn't get the chance to until it was commissioned:

Mickey Mantle, September 1950, 11" x 14"

I've always loved how young he looks in this image - he couldn't have been older than 18 at the time. And to think that months later, he'd be making his professional debut at Yankee Stadium. A place that housed over 67,000 fans. In line to take over for Joe DiMaggio in centerfield, no less. With the eyes of the New York media watching him like a hawk (well, a hawk for that era). No pressure.

Then there's this one:

Bill Barilko, April 21, 1951, 36" x 52"

This was commissioned by a board member a LONG time ago. Like, I'm embarrassed to say how long ago. But it was my first venture into the world of hockey. And though it was a blast to paint, it was also HARD. I neglected to realize how much closer spectators are to the ice and players than they are in the world of baseball - there are a LOT of faces in there.

Also, the general lighting scheme (dealing with flash photography) and the reflections on the ice proved to be a nightmare. But I'm very pleased with how it came out. I'm hoping that the fella who commissioned it absolutely loves the thing - lord knows he's waited long enough for it!

The moment is Bill Barilko's Stanley Cup winning goal from 1951, with the Leafs triumphing over Montreal in overtime of the 7th game. For those who don't know, Barilko would die in a plane crash only a few months later. Interestingly enough, Toronto failed to win another cup in the 1950s, and wouldn't do so until two months before the wreckage of the plane was found in 1962.

I also was able to finish some fun color studies over the past few weeks:

Cap Anson, 1875

Jim Devlin, 1876

Christy Mathewson, 1909

Babe Ruth, 1920

Josh Gibson, 1945

Gil Hodges, 1948

Ken Griffey, Jr., 1990

The Devlin was a real passion project, as there's only one or two known photographs of the man, none of which are of high quality. I think in the end, I pieced together something nice, and was thrilled to maybe bring his story to light a little bit. (For those of you who haven't heard/read about it, it's REALLY worth a look.)

Anywho, I hope y'all dig what you see. And as per usual, any comments, questions, critiques or whatever can be thrown my way via PM or email (gkreindler@gmail.com).

Thanks for reading!!

Graig
Old 01-27-2016, 11:44 PM
Bill Boyd

Graig,
That hockey painting is AMAZING. Dang that is good. Whoever is waiting for that painting, is was well worth the wait. What size is that painting? That is surely, HOF art there.
I'm going back for another look.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:19 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Outstanding! I love that Griffey Jr! As always keep up the great work.