NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Chris

Default Starting My First Collecting Project- Philadelphia A's Autographs

Having been a member here for almost a year I am intrigued by some of the types of collections people accumulate. I am going to try to acquire an autograph of every player who played on the Philadelphia A's from 1929 to 1954. Only players who spent the most time at each position each season are included, i.e. the consistent starting lineup, rotation, and relievers. I will include some other players as well who did not spend the plurality of the time at a position. There should be 158 players if my calculations are correct. I chose 1929 since it was the beginning of their second mini dynasty and because Ty Cobb was there in 1928 and 1927, which would be expensive. I will be selling some things from my collection in order to complete this. Has anyone done something similar and have any advice for me?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Brock

I tried just to collect the 1936 Yankees and Giants, i got over half of the players but i have since stopped and cant sell them for even half of what i put into them. So if your going to go through with it make sure you stick with it.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Hi Chris, that sounds like a great project. I also do team projects, sometimes mulit year projects. I completed an Oakland A's team project from 1971 - 1975 of all members on the playoff and WS rosters. I would say the best thing to do is do a little homework and see which ones of the 158 are real common and which ones are real hard. If you can't find any examples of a few being sold, call or email a reputable dealer and ask how often they come up for sale and approx how much they cost. Also, set aside some money for when those rare ones do become available. You may also want to determine what quality you're looking for, and expect to sometimes buy a couple of autographs of certain players...especially if you don't think you'll find another, and then you find one of better quality and you want to upgrade.
Good Luck and happy collecting!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Rob Miller

Hey Chris,

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the 1977-1978 Yankees championship teams which would obviously be a lot easier than your project. Although I wanted to only collect 8x10 photo autographs and I know Munson would be the only one I would probably have to purchase at a premium.

Are you limiting yourself as far as the type of autograph, or are you looking for any (index card, ticket stub, etc...) Also are you concerned if the auto is authenticated by a third party?

Good luck with your project!!

Rob
Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Graig Kreindler

Just out of curiosity Brock, how far did you get with the '36 Yanks and Giants signatures?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

The project could still be expensive as you need Foxx, Cochrane, Grove, and Simmons. The 1935 team also included Vernon "Whitey" Wilshere, who I believe may be the only Cooperstown native to play in the major leagues. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Chris

I am hoping to get the bulk of the 1929-31 HOFers in one multi-signed item. I would prefer not to get index cards, but I may have to. I already have some from A's who are still alive and I will try to get the other living players through the mail. Aside from the 1929-31 teams there aren't many HOFers.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Great project Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
Hey Chris,

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the 1977-1978 Yankees championship teams which would obviously be a lot easier than your project. Although I wanted to only collect 8x10 photo autographs and I know Munson would be the only one I would probably have to purchase at a premium.

Are you limiting yourself as far as the type of autograph, or are you looking for any (index card, ticket stub, etc...) Also are you concerned if the auto is authenticated by a third party?

Good luck with your project!!

Rob
I followed the Yanks while I was at Columbia U in the late 70s - I went to alot of games - sat in the bleachers - they charged a buck 50 back then!

I have a large selection of team autopened small pics including Munson.
They look really cool - most people assume they're real.

I have considered the same project - and yes - the Munson would be the tough one.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Superb project

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcbcb View Post
Having been a member here for almost a year I am intrigued by some of the types of collections people accumulate. I am going to try to acquire an autograph of every player who played on the Philadelphia A's from 1929 to 1954. Only players who spent the most time at each position each season are included, i.e. the consistent starting lineup, rotation, and relievers. I will include some other players as well who did not spend the plurality of the time at a position. There should be 158 players if my calculations are correct. I chose 1929 since it was the beginning of their second mini dynasty and because Ty Cobb was there in 1928 and 1927, which would be expensive. I will be selling some things from my collection in order to complete this. Has anyone done something similar and have any advice for me?
Can't give ya any help Chris - just want to wish you the best - that's quite a few really great players on the list!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
FredYoung

Chris--

I have a PC signed by 1st baseman Gene Hasson (1937-38 A's) (d. 2003) I will sell. If interested just drop me an EM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Chris,

My autograph collecting is similar, in that I focus primarily on one team (Detroit Tigers, 1900-1945). Since you're not limiting yourself to just 3x5's or single-signed items, team signed sheets, album pages, and GPC are a great way to go.

One suggestion: become familiar with which autographs are more difficult to locate, and educate yourself with what other teams (beside Philadelphia) those "tough" ballplayers played for. You never know when you might have the opportunity to pick up a tough autograph because it just happens to be on (lets assume) a St. Louis Browns team signed album page. Such an opportunity arose for me when I acquired a Charlie O'Leary autograph on a minor league team signed album page. No mention was made of his prior service with either Detroit, or 1927 N.Y. Yankees. Obviously, this item flew under the radar for many collectors. Best of luck.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

Chris,

My autograph collecting is similar, in that I focus primarily on one team (Detroit Tigers, 1900-1945). Since you're not limiting yourself to just 3x5's or single-signed items, team signed sheets, album pages, and GPC are a great way to go.

One suggestion: become familiar with which autographs are more difficult to locate, and educate yourself with what other teams (beside Philadelphia) those "tough" ballplayers played for. You never know when you might have the opportunity to pick up a tough autograph because it just happens to be on (lets assume) a St. Louis Browns team signed album page. Such an opportunity arose for me when I acquired a Charlie O'Leary autograph on a minor league team signed album page. No mention was made of his prior service with either Detroit, or 1927 N.Y. Yankees. Obviously, this item flew under the radar for many collectors. Best of luck.
Thanks for the tip. I am actually pretty openminded about doing what you suggested. I think it would be interesting to get unique signed items from other teams that connect to the A's through one or two players. That way there will be sort of a spider web feel to the collection with the Philadelphia A's at the center.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:32 PM

Default 1954 Athletics autographs

I have two postcards signed by team members and mailed from Philadelphia. The first one was signed in April 1954 by the following players:

Eddie Joost
Ed McGhee
Joe De Maestri
Bill Upton
Bill Shantz
Morrie Martin
Ossie Van Brabant
Bill Renna
Elmer Valo
Marion Fricano
Spook Jacobs
Alex Kellner