NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Vintage Football or Baseball Scoreboard- Cedar Falls

A friend asked me to post this to see if anyone collects or has information on this type of scoreboard. If there is interest he would be looking to sell it. He thinks it is about 2 foot by 3 foot. I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3855.jpg (70.0 KB, 177 views)
Old 05-20-2017, 08:58 AM
d.ean

Interesting piece. I have a few scoreboards in my collection. Both are a wee bit smaller and would likely be found in a bar advertising a national or local beer or spirit. Your friends scoreboard is interesting but I have no idea as to how it was utilized. My guess would be football.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Thanks Dean...I also thought it was a football scoreboard. Any idea of value?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 05-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Dave Grob

Default Scoreboard

Any possibility that this is for basketball? That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw it as have seen similar devices come out of indoor facilities.

Just a thought.

Dave Grob
Old 05-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Kevin O'Gara

I also thought basketball
Old 05-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Yes, it absolutely could be a basketball scoreboard. Does anyone collect scoreboards?

Jeff
Old 05-20-2017, 03:18 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's most likely for football, as there are only 2 slots for numbers. It is a rare day indeed when a football team goes into triple digits. (Obviously, it could be easily used for baseball, too.) At lower levels, basketball games don't usually go past the 100 point mark (no, I don't have any hard data to 'prove' that), but if you were creating a scoreboard for a hoops team, you would undoubtedly give it three number slots. (And I won't even mention the outdoor wear on this sucker.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 05-20-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
It's most likely for football, as there are only 2 slots for numbers. It is a rare day indeed when a football team goes into triple digits. (Obviously, it could be easily used for baseball, too.) At lower levels, basketball games don't usually go past the 100 point mark (no, I don't have any hard data to 'prove' that), but if you were creating a scoreboard for a hoops team, you would undoubtedly give it three number slots. (And I won't even mention the outdoor wear on this sucker.)
But back at that time highly unlikely a local team would be nowhere near a 100 points
Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Yes, it absolutely could be a basketball scoreboard. Does anyone collect scoreboards?

Jeff
It is hard to miss the four holes on each side of the number. Each hole could have possibly represented a quarter, so perhaps either a basketball or football scoreboard. Given the size, I would say the board was used indoors, it would be easier to read indoors as opposed to the vastness of a football field. Then again, perhaps sparsely attended outdoor sports, field hockey, lacrosse? There seems to be some sort of numbered wheel behind the sign (upper left in the picture).

As for value. Have you done any research on Cedar Falls? Is it a high school? VFW post? Former minor league team? Anything? Are there any markers on the reverse to try and date the piece? As is, whatever a collector would be willing to pay. I would say not more than a $100. It is an interesting piece for the man cave. If some history gets behind the piece then it could go higher. The piece is handmade so perhaps the folk art collectors would bid the price higher. Aesthetically, the piece is simply done, no advertising, lack of color.

Edit - I see the numbered wheel on the bottom left as well and it is the numbers for the actual piece. This thing had to sit on some sort of contraption (easel??) so the operator could change the score. Interesting.

Edit #2: A google search on the image returned no results. Googles best guess for the image: Vehicle. So, it is not a scoreboard at all, it is a vehicle, end of discussion.

Last edited by Huck; 05-21-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Thanks Dean...a vehicle it is then!

I will pass this on to my friend. It was a warehouse find and was just a small part of a very large purchase.

Jeff
Old 05-21-2017, 09:33 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Thanks Dean...a vehicle it is then!

I will pass this on to my friend. It was a warehouse find and was just a small part of a very large purchase.

Jeff
Was the picture taken where the item was unearthed? The background in the image looks very industrial. Ah, digging through a warehouse, what fun!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
When I was a kid all the basketball scoreboards in High schools only had two digits. When the team went over 100 they just left the one off. So the scoreboard might read as 97-05.

Steve B