NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM

What does that mean? Cano has the sweetest swing since Griffey if you ask me. You're saying he's cheating? Why?
Old 06-13-2017, 01:48 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
What does that mean? Cano has the sweetest swing since Griffey if you ask me. You're saying he's cheating? Why?

It means that I have my suspicions he cheated. And I don't miss him. Happy with Didi and Starling...and will be happy with Torres or Mateo. Love what the Yankees have done to make over this team...and they did it quickly. And they seem to have done it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 PM

I agree with the rest of your sentiment but I really have a hard time understanding why you think he cheated. I'm sorry he's gone. Cano could have been on the wall of retired numbers with a plaque in the outfield and I would have been happy to see it.

BUT, I am still happy with the crop of infielders they have in the minors and the emergence of Judge. It's great that the Yankees have that guy again.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:01 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
I agree with the rest of your sentiment but I really have a hard time understanding why you think he cheated. I'm sorry he's gone. Cano could have been on the wall of retired numbers with a plaque in the outfield and I would have been happy to see it.

BUT, I am still happy with the crop of infielders they have in the minors and the emergence of Judge. It's great that the Yankees have that guy again.

There have been hints of steroid use dating back to 2012. I truly believe the Yankees were happy to see the Mariners offer ridiculous money, allowing them to "let him walk away." I'm not saying he wasn't/isn't a fantastic player...I just believe that there is an awful lot of smoke that he cheated. This was really one of the first times that the Yankees showed restraint and I think that was in no small part due to their concerns for why he was playing as well as he was...

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:09 PM

That seems way off base to me. The Yankees didn't let him walk away. They got priced out when they gave a huge contract to Ellsbury instead. I think you're revising history a little bit. They wanted to sign Cano too, just not for the years or the dollars. It's my opinion Cano got miffed when they gave the years and dollars to Ellsbury but not him. At the time the Yankees were desperate to unseat Boston and signing away their premier player at the time made sense. But I don't think for a second they didn't want to sign Cano.

Also, of the two of them, only Cano is living up to the money. 2 time all star and 2 top 10 MVP finishes. Can't name anything Ellsbury has done.

Last edited by packs; 06-13-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Dave

Jeez, if anybody was cheating it was Jacob Ellsbury for that one outlier year he used to get his big contract.

Take that one year out of his career and he's essentially an injury prone Brett Gardner, at twice the cost of Gardner.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That seems way off base to me. The Yankees didn't let him walk away. They got priced out when they gave a huge contract to Ellsbury instead. I think you're revising history a little bit. They wanted to sign Cano too, just not for the years or the dollars. It's my opinion Cano got miffed when they gave the years and dollars to Ellsbury but not him. At the time the Yankees were desperate to unseat Boston and signing away their premier player at the time made sense. But I don't think for a second they didn't want to sign Cano.

Also, of the two of them, only Cano is living up to the money. 2 time all star and 2 top 10 MVP finishes. Can't name anything Ellsbury has done.
In 2013 Ellsbury hit 9 HR with 53 RBI and a .298 BA. He had a nice year, but he was not their premier player. Ortiz and Pedroia were.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-13-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In 2013 Ellsbury hit 9 HR with 53 RBI and a .298 BA. He had a nice year, but he was not their premier player. Ortiz and Pedroia were.
He was the big free agent though. Pedroia and Ortiz weren't free agents. Boston had just won the World Series. The entire league wanted Ellsbury, which is why the Yankees paid what they did. You might be revising history too.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
There have been hints of steroid use dating back to 2012. I truly believe the Yankees were happy to see the Mariners offer ridiculous money, allowing them to "let him walk away." I'm not saying he wasn't/isn't a fantastic player...I just believe that there is an awful lot of smoke that he cheated. This was really one of the first times that the Yankees showed restraint and I think that was in no small part due to their concerns for why he was playing as well as he was...

If you read the book on A-Roid that came out a year or so ago, there is a reference to a text from Yankee management to A-Roid that Cano needs some 'roids. That, coupled with his initial fall-off in production upon reaching Seattle (which he attributed to stomach problems, if I recall correctly--yeah, right!), is what triggered the hints. I simply believe that that is one genie you never, ever get entirely back in the bottle. At least with the grueling 162-game schedule, + spring training + playoffs. Lenny Dystra, stated in his book that he found that his body could not stand up to the strain, simply picked a physician out of the phone book (sure he did!) and asked for something to help him cope. The doctor prescribed anabolic steroids, and Dystra is very straightforward about it. I really don't know if the situation I still believe persists (does anyone really think Starling Marte was the only one using the steroid he tested positive for?) is good or bad--it is just the way it is.

My humble regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-13-2017 at 05:37 PM.