NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-04-2014, 11:38 PM

Default Help with a Mantle bat

Authentic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.0 KB, 234 views)
Old 01-04-2014, 11:39 PM

Another pic..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.4 KB, 234 views)
Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Shelly?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 AM

One more pic..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.2 KB, 191 views)
Old 01-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

The main reason I dont like it. It signed on a big stick. It just does not look right to me. I could be wrong on this one but my opinion is no.

Last edited by shelly; 01-05-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Kevin O'Gara

No. Don't like the k and the y. Also the space on the names to close together.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

By the way what is your name?
Old 01-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Hi Shelly, My name is Andrew.

Last edited by Real or fake?; 01-05-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:05 PM

I'm usually pretty good with mantle and this on looked good to me right off the bat (no pun intended). The big stick bat bothered me too. Do we know for sure that Rawlings didn't manufacture these bats during mantle's lifetime?
Old 01-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Big stick has been around for a long time. It is not an authentic autograph in my opinion. Being on the big stick just adds to it's not being authentic.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Steve Zarelli

It has a few small traits that bothered me, but I was not certain either way. Presuming the consensus is correct and this is bad... it is certainly a relatively deceptive fake and a step above the normal junk we see.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:43 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

This one is tough.
At my first glance I thought it looked good. After looking again and again, I just can't get that first "M" out of my head. I really don't like the big loop that goes beneath the baseline and never really flattens the way the bottom usually does. There are a couple other minor things that i would probably overlook as just variations if that M didn't bother me so much.

My final opinion is that it could be good, but there is enough that I don't like that I wouldn't buy it or recommend someone else buy it. A Mantle signed bat is not a rare item. Expensive...Yes. Rare or uncommon...No. [There are currently 54 Mantle signed bats listed on ebay{some of those are multi signed}]. If I was spending that much money or advising someone else on this purchase, I would wait until I found one that was perfect.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
This one is tough.
At my first glance I thought it looked good. After looking again and again, I just can't get that first "M" out of my head. I really don't like the big loop that goes beneath the baseline and never really flattens the way the bottom usually does. There are a couple other minor things that i would probably overlook as just variations if that M didn't bother me so much.

My final opinion is that it could be good, but there is enough that I don't like that I wouldn't buy it or recommend someone else buy it. A Mantle signed bat is not a rare item. Expensive...Yes. Rare or uncommon...No. [There are currently 54 Mantle signed bats listed on ebay{some of those are multi signed}]. If I was spending that much money or advising someone else on this purchase, I would wait until I found one that was perfect.

How many of the bats where big sticks ? You are correct that Mantle bats are common. How many bats on ebay do you see for a buy it now price of six hundred dollars that are authentic?
Forget the M look at the y and then look at the slant in tle.

Last edited by shelly; 01-05-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 PM

The Y definitely bothers me. I'm not sure what you mean by the slant on the "tle" though, looks pretty ordinary to me.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 PM

I actually like the k and the m's. I think they're all very typical of an authentic mantle exemplar.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:55 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Shelly,
From a quick scan I saw 2 autos on Big Sticks. One single and one multi signed. Both over $1700.

From your answer, I'm wondering if you misunderstood my point. I stated that I would NOT buy this bat as there are too many others available that are much less suspect.

Andrew,
Sorry. I still don't like the first M.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 PM

I agree that the first M is funky but I don't think it's so way out of the realm of normalcy. It's certainly not to the point where you see the M and you know immediately it's fake like many Mantle forgeries.
I really appreciate everyone's input and I love talking autographs. Thanks guys.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Why did you even ask for your opinion. You have so many of your own. Please dont ask us if you already know.
Mark not upset with you. I am upset with the people that come on here ask what you think and then tell you what they dont like. If you dont like something about a signiture dont buy it.

Last edited by shelly; 01-06-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Phil Nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Why did you even ask for your opinion. You have so many of your own. Please dont ask us if you already know.
Mark not upset with you. I am upset with the people that come on here ask what you think and then tell you what they dont like. If you dont like something about a signiture dont buy it.
Seems to me the guy is just creating discussion and debate. You don't like it, don't participate.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

if you looked you would see they asked for my opinion. Like I said. No more from the new guys let them decide. If your not on here for more than two years forgetaboutit.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Shelly, while I have a pretty good handle on what an authentic Mantle autograph should look like this one seemed tricky. So I sought out the opinion of other experts such as yourself on it. I can tell you what I like and dislike about it as well as take into account your thoughts and the thoughts of other forum members; it's not a contradiction. That was my intention anyway. I think most of us agree this is an In-betweener. Certainly wasn't my intention to offend you by posting my thoughts about it.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

No problem. You have other people on here that will be more than happy to help. I will stick to the people that have been on here at least two years.