NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Default Gretzky Wagner Sells Yet Again

Posted By: barrysloate

No sooner did we start our survey that USA Today reports the PSA 8 Wagner was just sold again, this time for $2.8 million. I Guess O'Keeffe's book gave it all the publicity it needed to set another record.

Doesn't anybody actually want to keep this thing? (and thanks to Jay M. who broke the story to me).

Old 09-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Wow! That didn't take long. Made a quick 450K. Not bad for less than a year.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Isn't this the time to start a thread asking about the negative impact of "The Card" on all vintage card prices?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator

I guess if anything, "The Card" just made more people aware that this high grade Wagner existed. The old adage any publicity is good publicity holds true here.

But to repeat my earlier question, are collectors interested in owning this card, or has it just become a commodity to hold short term and then flip?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

"The card" seems to have become some sort of "freak" show in my opinion...half card...half beast!

peter ullman

Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

So I guess this is a victory for altered cards...if you believe the early returns from our survey.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Basilone

T206 Wagner PSA 8 NM-MT Sold!

World Record Price of $2.8 Million Paid For Famed T206 Honus Wagner Baseball Card

The most famous and valuable trading card in the world is sold for the second time this year through a private transaction conducted by SCP Auctions

Mission Viejo, Calif. (Sept. 6, 2007) – Another Grand Slam for Honus Wagner. The finest known example of the famed T206 Honus Wagner baseball card has found another new home a little more than six months after selling for a then-record shattering price of $2.35 million in February to a California private collector. Renowned sports card and memorabilia auction company SCP Auctions Inc., the firm that handled that transaction and took a minority ownership position in the card, has brokered the latest sale to an anonymous private collector for a record price of $2.8 million.

The legendary T206 Honus Wagner baseball card, previously owned by Wayne Gretzky, and once the top prize in a national contest conducted by Wal-Mart, has long been recognized as the most famous and valuable baseball card in existence. Dubbed “The Holy Grail” or “Mona Lisa” of baseball cards, it has always been a beacon of the red-hot vintage sports collectibles market.

"The T206 Honus Wagner card is an icon, not only in the field of baseball card collecting, but in the larger field of Americana,” said David Kohler, president and CEO of SCP Auctions. “We are privileged to have been involved in the sale of this card, not once but twice.”

The legacy of the T206 Honus Wagner Card dates back to its creation and initial release by the American Tobacco Company in 1909 as part of a series that included more than 500 different baseball player cards. T206 tobacco cards are among the most widely collected, popular and sought after cards among current collectors. To this day however, it is estimated that less than one hundred examples of the T206 Wagner have surfaced. Numerous myths have been perpetuated and debated over the course of the last century, as to the reason for its scarcity. One of the prevailing theories was that Wagner, one of the premier players in the history of baseball, insisted that he be paid by the tobacco company for the use of his image causing the production of his card to be halted. A more common, and well-documented theory is that Wagner simply did not want children to be influenced into buying tobacco products just to get a “picture” of him, and thus forced the early withdrawal of his image on this principle. The volumes that have been written and countless tales that have been spun have made the T206 Wagner card a part of classic American Folklore.

This example, recently sold by SCP Auctions has been graded NM-MT 8 by Professional Sports Authenticators (PSA), the nations foremost third-party card grading service. PSA has authenticated, graded and encapsulated 28 of the known T206 Wagner cards. Of those, only two have earned grades of 4 (VG-EX) or better, three examples earned 3 (VG) status, with the remainder garnering either a 1 or 2 due to substantial wear or significant physical imperfections.

Said Dan Imler, managing director of SCP Auctions: “For many collectors, owning any example of a T206 Honus Wagner card is the crowning achievement of baseball card collecting. Approximately 70 collectors in the word are fortunate to own one. This example, graded PSA 8 NM-MT, is universally recognized as the ultimate baseball card treasure. We are proud to have had a hand in placing it in a good new home.”

SCP Auctions, Inc. has been a leader in brokering important sports memorabilia and cards since 1979. The Southern California based firm also conducts regular auctions in partnership with Sotheby’s. The Sotheby’s/SCP Auctions partnership has handled some of the most significant individual items and prominent collections in their field, such as the record-setting sale of Babe Ruth’s bat used to hit the first Home Run in Yankee Stadium ($1.265 million), The Original 1919 Contract of Sale of Babe Ruth From the Red Sox to The Yankees ($996,000), and the personal collections of Hall of Famers, such as Honus Wagner, Tony Lazzeri, Bob Cousy, Wilt Chamberlain, Casey Stengel, Pee Wee Reese, and Ernie Banks.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

That as long there is a holder to be bought, it will be bought, regardless of what might be inside

buy the card, not the holder
buy the holder, not the card
buy empty holders
buy naked cards

honestly, it's all good as long as everyone keeps buying buying buying!!

This is the most expensive hot potato I've ever seen.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

O'Keefe can write another book now. Maybe he won't come off as a whiner and people will be able to read what he writes.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

my guess is Don Loucios.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

well, with all the scepticism around this card being trimmed, burned, washed, ripped in half, holdered, broken out, reholdered, retrimmed and taped back together...i personally would not want it anymore if i had the money to blow or tie up.

although, i would pay for a card that did have Wayne Gretzky's name on it as the owner just to say that...that might be cool.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

If I could afford "the card"...I'd buy a g-vg copy and every other card ever made as well.

peter ullman

Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

Sure seems interesting that the previous owner held on to it for such a short time. Makes me think he was, indeed, a little afraid of the repercussions from the negative publicity affecting the long-term value. Unloaded quick for a tidy "little" profit. But in relative terms, not a huge profit - no where near what the previous increases had been. Perhaps that book DID have some influence.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

"Sure seems interesting that the previous owner held on to it for such a short time. "

I am not at all suprised. I assumed it was bought to flip when it was announced that SCP was a minority owner. Why would someone who could afford a 2 million dollar baseball card not buy the whole thing? I am sure there was an agreement that SCP would handle the future sale/auction of the card. I have just assumed that, for the right price, it was on the market since that announcement six months ago. It was a quick half mil for somebody.
JimB

Old 09-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Michael,

Thats an excellent guess--Don Spence would be another good one.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Jim B. made a good point about the unusual circumstances of the previous sale. Why would anybody buy something for his collection and have an auction house as a minority partner? There had to be an agreement regarding a future sale.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Some of you guys have given me some grief on my post regarding The Card. However, you need to remember I also thought that both the previous seller and buyer knew about the book prior to publication and took it into account when the 2.35 million price was calculated.

The new purchase price of 2.8 million in such a short time indicates the vintage card market remains healthy.

Peter C.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

JimB,

Sorry. Forgot about the SCP partial ownership. Obviously, so as to flip. I really haven't followed this very closely.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Well, if SCP flipped it then a large portion of the $450,000 went to the auction house.

Peter C.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Mike & Jim C,

Both very good guesses, the rumors are flying but I think I know who bought it, he obviously has the cash as well……….

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RrLxi8gy67o

*Mike added URL for you, I'll be up before months end talk to you soon*

Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Administrator

John- i cannot see your image here...can you email it to me please?

MS

p.s. looks like we missed each other again in NYC...

when are you coming up next?

Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Administrator

John,

ROFLMAO, well at least it wasn't Mr. Mint.

Peter C.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Thanks John- I like Brian's soft sell approach. I think I may even try that!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

You’re ok as is Barry, but wearing the crown and pajamas couldn't hurt. I suggest wearing it all the time no matter where you are so people know you’re the real card king!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

John- that was funny...that guys is ridiculous.

looking forward to your visit, call me in advance...

MS

Old 09-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Does the general public actually respond to that kind of advertising? If you found a shoebox of vintage cards in your attic, is that the way to go?

Old 09-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

but that was because I put them there and I wanted to see what it was like to discover a "find"

turns out it was very anti-climactic, since I already knew it was there...and what was in it...and they were mine.

sucked, actually.

don't bother.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Barry,

Most of us that post have been around the block a few times and don't respond to the hype. But I'm sure that some of the newcomers do.

I don't know if you ever did shopping mall shows, but it happens often there. People that are curious about the hobby they'll ask a dozen questions about the value of this and that then they walk away. Also, you get the dealer hype about being ready to buy or 50% off on everything. You get the picture.

Peter C.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hvr4S7aqniw&mode=related&search=

Old 09-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Administrator

barry...it must work if he's sorting cards for 10 hours a day!!! I could see if he's on late nite tv it could attract the youngons to steal their parents/grandparents collections for quick cash.

pete in mn

Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

It seems to me that the history of owners/sales/speculation has eclipsed the aura of the card itself for "value" purposes.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

So Ed,

What you are saying is that the Gretzky T206 Wagner is now the Paris Hilton of baseball cards -- not recognized for it's own merits but famous for being famous.

David

Old 09-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mark

i'm certain there is a perfectly good reason why the "buyer/seller" has both "flipped" this card AND remained anonymous while doing so...
anybody know who tony alfaro is... or exactly what his relationship has been with scp auctions?
btw, i don't know don spence personally, but my impression of him is that he is WAY too rational to spend $2,800,000 on such a questionable & controversial item.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Feel free to put words in my mouth, Dave. Obviously, the card is recognized for its merits. But who could deny that hysteria is fueled by hype?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Ed,

I should have put a smiley face behind what I posted. I was NOT trying to get something started, so I am sorry if you took it that way. What I attempted to say was that the card itself is only worth a certain amount but the hype that comes with it makes it worth MUCH more. Just like Paris Hilton.

Her acting, singing and whatever other abilities she might have are not worth very much and wouldn't make her stand out in a crowd. However, the fact that she is a wealthy heiress and found a way to stay CONSTANTLY in the news, her "perceived" celebrity status is greater than what it should actually be.

If this card were ANY other card, it wouldn't be worth as much as it is AND would probably be worth even less than a similiar card in the same condition because of all the negative publicity that has come out about it. But because of what card it is, the people who have owned it and ALL the publicity (good and bad), I believe it is worth more than what it actually should be. And I do mean worth because someone has actually paid $2.8 million for it. This is not a hypothetical.

David

Old 09-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

Mark,

Tony Alfaro has worked with Dave Kohler/SCP for may, many years. Why do you ask?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

For the record I have dealt with Tony, Dan, and Clay at SCP. All were very pleasant and friendly. The other thread has nothing to do with my feelings towards them personally. I think Tony is a marketing guy as he is who I dealt with when they were an advertiser here....

Old 09-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mak

when tony returned to scp most recently (2006), i thought his title was vp.
then he was listed on the web-site as the cfo.
now, there is no reference to him whatsoever...
just curious if he's still with scp & if so, in what capacity?

Old 09-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Administrator

I'm sorry, David - I misunderstood tone. Somehow, I heard fingernails on a chalkboard when seeing Paris Hilton mentioned in a Wagner context.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ken mcmillan

2.8 million dollars. WOW for a card that may be trimmed!!!! Amazing