NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2015, 07:19 AM
J1m Ch@pman

Default Interesting backstory on a classic Detroit Tigers postcard w/ Cobb & Crawford

I recently uncovered the backstory on one of my favorite postcards. This colorized postcard of the Tigers on opening day has usually been dated to circa 1908, notice the SGC designation on my copy and in the description for several copies of this postcard sold by major AHs.

I can now definitively state the postcard depicts the flag raising on Opening Day 1912 for Navin Field (later became Tiger Stadium). Below is the actual photo used for the postcard from The Detroit News archives with the caption explaining exactly what is depicted. You can see Cobb just to the left of the man in black and Crawford just to the left of the flagpole.

The caption states "Play ball! April 20, 1912 The Tigers watch as the American Flag is raised for the first time during Navin Field opening festivities. An overflow crowd of 24,384 watched the Tigers rally past Cleveland 6-5 in 11 innings. Ty Cobb was his usual aggressive self with a steal of home after his first at bat. Much of the attention in the newspaper the next day was diverted by one of the world's most famous disasters......The sinking of the TITANIC."

Navin Field opened on the same day as Fenway Park. The massive flagpole depicted was actually in the field of play and was the tallest obstacle ever on a major league field. Note how the artist filled the stands with spectators and put leaves on the trees and that the photo was snapped a split second before or after the postcard image as reflected by the fact the flag has moved slightly, the players such as Crawford have shifted and the man in black has his arm a little lower. A truly momentous day, Tiger Stadium and Fenway Park opening and the Titantic tragedy! To me, all this makes this postcard much more interesting than a circa 1908 date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909-Detroit-flag-web.jpg (79.8 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg 1912 Detroit opening day.jpg (76.6 KB, 603 views)

Last edited by T206Jim; 08-18-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:24 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Great story and great work. Are you going to send the card back for a corrected flip?
Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 AM
J1m Ch@pman

I'm not sure if I'll send it in for a new flip, I was primarily satisfying my own curiosity about the image depicted. I'll have to think on it, would it be worth the trouble?
Old 08-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Robert Klevens

Historic 1912 Opening Day of Navin Field Large Glass Negatives (4) Legendary May 2010 Auction

http://legendaryauctions.com/histori...lot106519.aspx
Old 08-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Jim View Post
I'm not sure if I'll send it in for a new flip, I was primarily satisfying my own curiosity about the image depicted. I'll have to think on it, would it be worth the trouble?
I think so, maybe the next time your send in a submission or go to a show where they're stabbing cards. You might as well have the right date on it.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I think so, maybe the next time your send in a submission or go to a show where they're stabbing cards.
I think that went out of fashion at the end of the Mlddle Ages.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-16-2015, 03:05 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibitman View Post
i think that went out of fashion at the end of the mlddle ages.
lol.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 PM
ErikV

Default Re: Interesting backstory on a classic Detroit Tigers postcard w/ Cobb & Crawford

Jim,

It's one thing to collect vintage baseball cards, autographs, memorabilia and
the like. It's completely something else to research/find/discover old baseball
stories relating to collecting. I for one love these hidden treasures that continue
to be uncovered after all these years. Just think, this postcard's story lay
dormant for over 100 years before someone did the footwork and shared it
with fellow collectors. I for one absolutely love discovering these gems
probably as much or more than card collecting! Good job, buddy. Keep up the
great detective work!

ErikV
Old 08-16-2015, 04:55 PM

Great research and a cool find!
Old 08-16-2015, 06:31 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Thanks for all the kind words and the link to the original file photo. I agree that the stories behind the cardboard and cellulose are as interesting if not more so than the collectibles themselves.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Ron Rice

Default Tigers Postcard

Great job, Jim! And thank you Robert for the link to the negatives. I was born in Detroit and saw some games in that great stadium in the 1970's-80's. The flagpole in center field remained, and was an interesting obstacle that led to triples and sometimes an inside the park homer. I remember listening on the radio as Kurt Gibson hit a blast to that pole, 440 ft in center field in 1984 and rumbled all the way around the bases. Whitaker was on first and hesitated for a moment as the ball went over the centerfielder's head. By the time Gibby rounded 3rd base he was right behind Whitaker headed for home. The long throw to the plate was a bang bang play. Whitaker was out but Gibson was safe! Gibby even plowed over the home plate umpire, knocking him out for a few moments. What a play that was!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:56 PM

Default PC

Jim,

Great job. Interesting story
Old 08-18-2015, 05:53 AM
Peter F

Really interesting Jim. Good job of research. Love it.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:23 AM

Jim--Great sleuthing! And what an interesting group of events. Thanks for your research.

Cheers, Mike
Old 12-31-2015, 07:42 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Jim View Post
I recently uncovered the backstory on one of my favorite postcards.
I just found one of these among my father's collection about an hour ago and started browsing around for more information. Thanks SO much for your post. Fantastic insight into this card . Here's ours:

Last edited by TCMA; 12-31-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:45 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

What an incredible post. I grew up a Tigers fan and attended my first games with my dad there. So many positive memories. As a baseball fan and card collector, this find is awesome. As a Tigers fan who remembers that pole, it's even better.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:22 PM

Default Postcarding

Thanks for posting this postcard and its story. It reminds me of this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=gorge

I love how the backstory (in the case of the Royal Gorge postcard, developed over numerous posts) multiplies the interest in the captured image. Great job and research. I missed the original posting, because I am still almost exclusively a ball card collector, and tend to bypass the postcard postings, but can easily see why folks collect them. I would also like to thank the thread reviver.

Brian
Old 01-01-2016, 07:28 AM
J1m Ch@pman

Thanks for the notes guys, this has been a truly under-appreciated postcard; although, I recently saw a copy go for more than $500 so perhaps it is now getting the respect it deserves.

The Royal Gorge thread is a fascinating read, it inspired me to acquire that postcard. In fact, I have an extra copy of the over-sized version of it to trade for other postcards or Chief Bender items if anyone is interested.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:17 AM
Joe M.

As most can see, 2 different snapshots one earlier than the other.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 01-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Very cool!! Many postcards are still under appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
I just found one of these among my father's collection about an hour ago and started browsing around for more information. Thanks SO much for your post. Fantastic insight into this card . Here's ours:

Last edited by Leon; 01-02-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:18 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Nice detective work. But I would disagree with the photo being snapped a split-second later. Probably more than 4 seconds later as the photographer (assuming there is just one) moved several feet over towards the right. You can tell by the players near the pole. The ones in sweaters haven't moved their feet but the pole is between 2 different players.