NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Default 1919 Mayfair Novelty Co generic strip cards

Posted By: Zach Rice

Hey all, I recently was able to purchase the three cards below from the 1919 Mayfair Novelty Company strip card set. I've tried to do a little research on the set but really couldn't come up with much. What really interested me was that though generic most if not all in the set are drawings of a certain player and its pretty obvious on some. The one in the middle with the "1919 Mayfair Novelt Company" in red at the top of the card apparently has some type of icon in the shape of a diamond on the back of it. I think i'm on the right track by saying these possibly game from some kind of baseball playing game ? Below is the scan of the three I recently bought. The card to the left, the batter with red socks, looks very much like Cobb. I've searched through a number of pictures of Cobb and in most he is shown in a very similar if not exact batting pose. The second card or the middle card is based off of an image of Wagner, or so it seems. The images jumps out at you right when you see it and you just know its him from the big nose and ackward and bulky build. The final card to the far right I recognized as being Joe Jackson. The same photo is used on his 1914 Polo Grounds minus the hat. I also included a scan of a card from the same set labeled as shortstop. I think this is the most obvious of them all, it's the same image used on Benders E93 card except it is reversed and a full shot of his body, not cropped. Can anyone else give any info on the set ? I find the set very interesting and had fun trying to match photos to the cards.
Image hosting by TinyPic

Image hosting by TinyPic

Old 03-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The bottom two are in tai chi class.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I think the set is called W552 (Baseball Position Drawings 10 in the set). By the look of the cards, it looks like there may be more than one set. I see them on eBay from time to time, sometimes in complete strips. They would be in greater demand if they would have just put a players name on them. Oh well.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Neat cards, kind of D304-ish. "Wagner" looks like he's swinging a two-by-four.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

</P>
Here is the group.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Well now looking at a gallery of the W552 set thats what they look like but I cant find any with the red wording at the top of the card and they are supposed to have blank backs, the one that I said looks like Wagner has a diamond printed on the back. The First Base player in the set looks exactly like Hugh Jennings in his famous jumping pose. They're neat cards.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

11 of the cards have this back, including the one that says Mayfair.

</P>

Old 03-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Some do have the yellow diamond on back and some are blank backed....regards

Old 03-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Leon or anyone-have you seen W552 with "1919 Mayfair Novelty Co" in red ink at the top of a card ? I'm assuming someone must have or else the date of the set would be unknown which it isn't.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Martys pic has one. Looks like bottom right corner card "Batter" (Wagner) has "HT 1919 by MAYFAIR NOVELTY CO.". And the one at bottom left "First Base" has "COPY RI"

Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Came across this thread and was curious if anyone had identified any additional players images used on this set?

I can confirm that they come with either plain backs or the orange diamond checkered pattern on the back. The diamond-backed cards seem to all be from Mayfair Novelty Co., but I can't confirm if any blank backed cards have Mayfair info on them since the archived images are disabled in the thread on the new board. Leon's website has the best full Mayfair text I've found.

There was an auction of a 15-card strip (3 cards wide and 5 cards down) that didn't have the positions listed, so it is either a third variation or a proof sheet of some sort.

Also, there are two varieties of the Pitcher card, one spelled incorrectly as "Picher".

I was about to toss these in a junk box, and they may still belong there, but now that I see the similarities to real players, they have me a little intrigued. Heck, my "Fielder" card may be the closest to a Shoeless Joe card I'll own for awhile! :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1919MayfairSet.jpg (72.1 KB, 131 views)
Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Here is the full sheet/set

1919 W552-1
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Found this sheet of 15 while searching online. Seems quite different. Any thoughts?

http://sep10.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=25672

And these ones were in a strip of 10.
http://www.auctionscc.com/?showpage=...80/&i=72&p=4#a

Last edited by novakjr; 01-24-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 PM

Yes, that is the one I would probably consider a proof sheet, but if more were found, would probably call it a their variation. It can get a little tricky on something like this, issued in sheets or strips, as to what is an uncut strip (of a new variation) and what is a proof sheet!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 PM

Also note that the images are the same, but the Team letters are reversed on this one - another point in favor of it being a proof or test, most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Found this sheet of 15 while searching online. Seems quite different. Any thoughts?

http://sep10.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=25672

And these ones were in a strip of 10.
http://www.auctionscc.com/?showpage=...80/&i=72&p=4#a
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 PM

That, plus the fact that most of the captions don't make sense for the images -- "catchers" and "shortstops" are lefties, "fielder" is gloveless, "center field" is running bases, "running base" appears to be circling clockwise -- besides which the Wagnerian "batter" seems to have his back to the plate.

The captions might make sense on the H&S version -- the captionless sheet of 15 with the reversed letters -- if the whole sheet was reversed, like this:

Seems like a whole series of screw-ups between the art department, pre-press, and the actual printing.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl