NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2018, 06:20 PM
Tony

Default Now what is ebay doing??????????????

Just got this email; anyone else??

Quote:
eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

You do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

Over the past three years, eBay has transformed its business to drive the best choice, most relevance and most powerful selling platform. Building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

Quote:
Specifically:

As eBay transitions to a fully intermediated platform, it will work closely with its sellers to ensure that its new payment capabilities reflect their needs and deliver value to them.
To enable payments in their eBay accounts, sellers should expect to provide eBay with some additional payments-related data and transition to a new relationship with eBay that includes integrated payments capabilities.
Sellers will be required to complete these steps in order to continue selling on eBay, and it is anticipated that this transition for sellers will occur no later than one year after the expiration of eBay’s Operating Agreement with PayPal, i.e., by July 2021.
As eBay gets closer to the initial phase of its intermediation efforts, it will share more details about this process and next steps for its sellers. In the meantime, sellers can contact eBay now at paymentsinfo@ebay.com to stay up-to-date on eBay’s payments efforts and timing, share feedback and ask questions.

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 01-31-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:57 PM
And.rew C0rs0

Default Cryptic

I got the email as well. It clearly was not written with the intent of informing eBay users but is serving some other purpose. Or else the person who wrote it does not understand how to convey information to people who are not lawyers.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Readers digest version: instead of PayPal and its ridiculous fees and arbitrary decisions you will have eBay and its ridiculous fees and arbitrary decisions.

Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-31-2018, 07:49 PM
D Brown

"Adyen’s business is solely focused on providing back-end payments services, like credit card processing, to businesses, so you won’t see any Adyen payment buttons pop up on eBay. But Adyen will become the primary payments processor for eBay sites across the world.

After the existing eBay-PayPal agreement ends in 2020, PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers on eBay, but it won’t be prominently featured ahead of debit and credit card options as it is today. PayPal will cease to process card payments for eBay at that time."

https://www.recode.net/2018/1/31/169...ents-agreement
Old 01-31-2018, 08:17 PM

This could be why PayPal stock dropped about $10 dollars a share today.

David
Old 01-31-2018, 10:02 PM
Dave

Anybody remember "Billpoint"?

Ebay's constant case of ADHD, and insistence on fixing (ie. breaking) things that aren't broke will eventually lead to their downfall.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:43 AM
Lonnie Nagel

eBay so desperately wants to be Amazon - this is just one more step in that metamorphosis
Old 02-01-2018, 06:30 AM
Larry P.

This article explains it a little more clearly:

Old 02-01-2018, 06:53 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxb View Post
This article explains it a little more clearly:

Thank you for the link.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:13 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

This makes a lot of sense for eBay. The main way I get contact information from my buyers is through the paypal transaction. If eBay is handling the payment process, you will only know the address and the name of the buyer but not email and phone information.

If eBay isn't too greedy, it could help sellers by charging less than paypal for payment processing. I guess this is wishful thinking.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2018, 08:39 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post

If eBay isn't too greedy, it could help sellers by charging less than paypal for payment processing. I guess this is wishful thinking.

Jeff
Thanks for the good laugh
Old 02-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Thanks for the good laugh
Thanks Conor...I did have difficulty typing that sentence.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2018, 09:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Thanks Conor...I did have difficulty typing that sentence.

Jeff
There will be a co-announcement of less processing fees and higher sales fees.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:14 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
This makes a lot of sense for eBay. The main way I get contact information from my buyers is through the paypal transaction. If eBay is handling the payment process, you will only know the address and the name of the buyer but not email and phone information.
THIS is the reason why they are doing this. They lose millions and millions of dollars each year because people find ways to do transactions outside of eBay (through Paypal). They have been trying to find ways to put a stop to this, but have had little success in doing so. They threaten their users, send out warnings, etc., but a lot of people still keep doing it. They now realized that the only way to put a complete stop to it is by distancing themselves from Paypal, and this is exactly what they are doing.

Obviously, they are not going to write anything like this in their emails. Instead, they use the same old language again, such as "we believe this will help sellers reach more customers around the world" or "we believe that in doing so, sellers will better manage their ... blah, blah, blah ... " You always have to read between the lines.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Tony

Quote:
Today, PayPal is worth $102 billion; eBay is valued at $42 billion.
If this true; and I was paypal; I would just buy out ebay
Old 02-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
If this true; and I was paypal; I would just buy out ebay
Good luck to them. I've already set a snipe for $39 billion.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:30 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:

Jeff
A new in house payment processing system will certainly help ebay with sellers obtaining their new customers contact info. However, over half of my transactions as a seller are with existing customers, so, if I chose to do so, I would be able to contact all but my "new" customers once this new system is in place.

Also, many sellers already send out their "off-ebay" contact info with each order they mail out....they advertise their contact info and/or their off-ebay (fee free) site as well as encourage off-ebay contact for better pricing than can be offered on ebay. This will always be impossible for ebay to police.

I think the main reason that ebay is doing this is for the fees that they will soon collect....for many years, paypal greatly lifted eBay's profit, so now they want a slice of that profit again without the paypal overhead. The 30 cent transaction fee that is charged on each payment is 100% profit on each payment received. I received almost 1000 payments last month, $300 straight profit for paypal.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
A new in house payment processing system will certainly help ebay with sellers obtaining their new customers contact info. However, over half of my transactions as a seller are with existing customers, so, if I chose to do so, I would be able to contact all but my "new" customers once this new system is in place.

Also, many sellers already send out their "off-ebay" contact info with each order they mail out....they advertise their contact info and/or their off-ebay (fee free) site as well as encourage off-ebay contact for better pricing than can be offered on ebay. This will always be impossible for ebay to police.

I think the main reason that ebay is doing this is for the fees that they will soon collect....for many years, paypal greatly lifted eBay's profit, so now they want a slice of that profit again without the paypal overhead. The 30 cent transaction fee that is charged on each payment is 100% profit on each payment received. I received almost 1000 payments last month, $300 straight profit for paypal.
Probably gross profit . All anyone ever has to do to answer any question about a for-profit business decision is to say "money." They most often call it something else. It's America.