NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-04-2018, 02:51 PM

Default Seeking Opinions on Item Autographed by Wagner, Mack, Vaughn, Little Poison , More

In me and my husband's ongoing quest for hunting down random vintage/antique items, oddities, or collectibles via second hand means (thrift stores, yard sales, etc) we recently came across a real baseball treasure.
It's a small notebook, dated April 2nd, 1940. Titled, " A Sunny Day In Bisbee Az". It lists a score, the teams names : Pittsburgh Pirates and The Philly Athletics. It has approximately 30 autographs, most notably Honas Wagner, Connie Mack, Arky Vaughn, Little Poison, Beans Reardon, and more. A little research confirmed that this game was held at Warren Park.
Admittedly, we actually didn't catch the names signed at first, as this notebook was in a bundled box we purchased with many other vintage photographs, stamps etc, and actually just shuffled it to the "check out later pile". Luckily, we did just that sooner than later, and as fate would have it, the timing of discovering this notebooks potential value comes at a time in my families life, where in contrast to the hardships we've undergone in the last few years, selling this piece, could be absolutely life changing to us. Quick and to the point, we lost everything in a house fire on Christmas 2 years ago and have yet to fully regain financial stability. Moving on,
We have a serious buyer lined up, who has made what I guesstimate to be a mutually fair offer, but of course that is dependant upon formal authentication. That is my main reason for seeking any opinions or general input-
Authentication. I've been seeking fast turnaround at an affordable price. Im not finding a rate that I can afford at this time, with any of the major name companies. PSA, JSA, Beckett, etc... So I wondered about any other lesser known or smaller authentication companies. If someone gets an authentication from a lesser known company, does the item actually have the same credibility as it would if it were authenticated say through JSA? Does anyone know of a company that yields the quickest turn around, mind you for 29 autographs? Is appraisal necessary? Or does the authentication cover that base in terms of industry knowledge and standards in determining price?
Lastly, if I didn't have a private buyer, what would be the best platform.to market this item for a quick, safe sale, in any experienced sellers opinion?
Thank you in advance for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180704_154009030.jpg (69.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180704_153934401.jpg (72.6 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180704_153819965.jpg (71.6 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by Inkdmn; 07-04-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:15 PM
J Stone

You might want to post a bigger scan of the first page but from what I can see they look fine to me.

Very sorry to hear about your loss. It's a very nice item but I'm not even sure it would be worth sending to a TPA for authentication, you'll probably end up spending in the neighborhood of $200-300. I'd take the opinions of most of the regulars over the TPA's any day.

Best of luck on whatever you do with it.

Last edited by MooseDog; 07-04-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:20 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

My guess at auction would be $500-700 or so. The Wagner carries it but he is in the middle of a bunch of other signatures. Also the paper seems a bit soiled. Nice piece for sure.

Tom C
Old 07-04-2018, 04:34 PM

I agree with MooseDog in that I think the autographs are authentic.The format and condition (pencil, wrinkles, etc.) will likely decrease the marketability enough to make big time authentication unprofitable for you. If I were you and I had a buyer, I'd leave it to him to handle that on his own after he buys it. Sorry for your misfortune, and I hope the sale of this will help you out. Good luck.
Bill
Old 07-04-2018, 04:56 PM

Thank you for the input thus far. I updated the pics. The figure I was given as an estimate from the buyer included 2 Xtra digits than the average mentioned thus far in this thread...I'm not sure whether to doubt the buyer now...His interest seemed to be heightened around the fact that there's at least 4 hall of famers on here, that Wagner and Mack weren't actually players but guests of honor, and that it took place at Warren Field. REGARDLESS, I thank you again for the insight..
Old 07-04-2018, 05:38 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Sell! Maybe 1000 on a good day

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-05-2018, 07:14 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkdmn View Post
Thank you for the input thus far. I updated the pics. The figure I was given as an estimate from the buyer included 2 Xtra digits than the average mentioned thus far in this thread...I'm not sure whether to doubt the buyer now...His interest seemed to be heightened around the fact that there's at least 4 hall of famers on here, that Wagner and Mack weren't actually players but guests of honor, and that it took place at Warren Field. REGARDLESS, I thank you again for the insight..
The autographs certainly appear genuine. The format that they are in is what makes the estimates here in the three-figure range. Pencil sigs on small lined paper are not highly sought after. The HOFers here are very desirable but also are available in much more desirable formats.
However, I cannot comprehend any real buyer offering thousands of dollars for this notebook, let alone the five figures that you seem to imply. When push comes to shove, I truly would doubt the veracity of that offer.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

As others have said, these are basically cut (or would be cut out) pencil signatures on lined paper. The Wagner is worth about $500, the Vaughan maybe $3-400, and the Mack maybe $200. The rest are very very little. I agree with Richard that your offer may not be a solid one.

Tags
1940, connie mack, honus wagner, philadelphia athletics, pittsburg pirates