NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Default Willie Mays Conspiracy Theory

I have had this thought for some time, but never asked for opinions and maybe you guys have the answer.

I find it odd that the Willie Mays in-person autos I have seen from recent card shows are sloppy and not aligned (which makes sense since he is almost blind), and the autos authenticated by Say Hey always look perfect and sell for a fraction of his in-person prices.

Has anybody ever seen him sign for Say Hey? Is that really his company?

Just wondering...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I have had this thought for some time, but never asked for opinions and maybe you guys have the answer.

I find it odd that the Willie Mays in-person autos I have seen from recent card shows are sloppy and not aligned (which makes sense since he is almost blind), and the autos authenticated by Say Hey always look perfect and sell for a fraction of his in-person prices.

Has anybody ever seen him sign for Say Hey? Is that really his company?

Just wondering...
I would not be shocked if they had 1000s of balls he signed years ago in a warehouse waiting to be put in the market. When he ultimately cannot sign anymore, you will see way more of them
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

I have seen a number of Willie Mays baseballs with say hey holograms that are fakes.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
I have seen a number of Willie Mays baseballs with say hey holograms that are fakes.
Can you please explain?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
I would not be shocked if they had 1000s of balls he signed years ago in a warehouse waiting to be put in the market. When he ultimately cannot sign anymore, you will see way more of them
Musial has a similar "warehouse" full of his autos.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
Musial has a similar "warehouse" full of his autos.
I am not so sure about that. If you look at the quality of the signatures that are coming out of St. Louis, they look like they have been recently signed. If they had a warehouse of items that were signed prior to his illness, then why aren't we seeing any of them? I am sure there are some items that are in back stock, but most of the autographed baseballs that are now being sold have barely legible signatures indicating they were signed recently.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

I hear what you're saying...but I know for sure that there are "Stan the Man" hologram'd items that Musial has in storage that are for sale as well.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
I hear what you're saying...but I know for sure that there are "Stan the Man" hologram'd items that Musial has in storage that are for sale as well.
You mean that Musial's kids have in storage....
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
I am not so sure about that. If you look at the quality of the signatures that are coming out of St. Louis, they look like they have been recently signed. If they had a warehouse of items that were signed prior to his illness, then why aren't we seeing any of them? I am sure there are some items that are in back stock, but most of the autographed baseballs that are now being sold have barely legible signatures indicating they were signed recently.
The latest Stan sigs I saw from Steiner were quite sad.

That said, I suppose they may have stockpiled a family inventory that has not been released. Joe DiMaggio signed a ton of items that were expressly for the purpose of release after his death.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
The latest Stan sigs I saw from Steiner were quite sad.

That said, I suppose they may have stockpiled a family inventory that has not been released. Joe DiMaggio signed a ton of items that were expressly for the purpose of release after his death.
I could not imagine how sad that conversation probably went. Happened to Williams too, when will people step in and stop these families from abusing elderly legends for their valuable signatures, even to the point to make them sign all day knowing that the item will be worth more after the player passes.

Makes me sick
Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Quote:
I could not imagine how sad that conversation probably went. Happened to Williams too, when will people step in and stop these families from abusing elderly legends for their valuable signatures, even to the point to make them sign all day knowing that the item will be worth more after the player passes.

Makes me sick
Player's kid: Hey dad. I bought 2,000 baseballs. Can you spend some time and sign these over the next few weeks.

Player: Why do you need me to sign 2,000 baseballs?

Player's kid: To sell, of course.

Player: How about I sign 50? When you sell those I will sign 50 more. Seems to make more sense that way.

Player's kid: I don't mean sell now. I figured I will wait until your dead then I can charge more. Don't want to miss out on that golden opportunity.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

I'm not a father, but I can imagine a situation where the parent wants to do something so that their kids have a nest egg or whatever after their death.

Some people buy life insurance, some people sign baseballs.

Maybe there's been some news story about the Musial kids or the Mays kids being greedy...I don't know.

I do know that Bobby Doerr still signs and he's the oldest HOFer out there...and he does it for free. Maybe it reminds him of the "good ol' days".

Too hard to know to pass too much judgement.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:

Makes me sick
Well, with DiMaggio it was all HIM! It appears he took great pride in knowing the big bucks things would go for after his passing.

Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life goes into great detail about Joe D's autograph deals. A fascinating read.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:25 PM

Having a ball he signed years ago and selling them more recently is the only way I would believe they were authentic. How can you go from a flawless sig to a sloppy inscription?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willie-Mays-...item1c249e7fba
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If I could crap money just by signing my name I'd stockpile items for my daughter to sell after I died so she could cash in. Seems like a nice legacy to leave to one's family.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-12-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Danny Smith

Wow. That is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball111 View Post
Having a ball he signed years ago and selling them more recently is the only way I would believe they were authentic. How can you go from a flawless sig to a sloppy inscription?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
I'm not a father, but I can imagine a situation where the parent wants to do something so that their kids have a nest egg or whatever after their death.

Some people buy life insurance, some people sign baseballs.

Maybe there's been some news story about the Musial kids or the Mays kids being greedy...I don't know.

I do know that Bobby Doerr still signs and he's the oldest HOFer out there...and he does it for free. Maybe it reminds him of the "good ol' days".

Too hard to know to pass too much judgement.
i am a father, and if i could sign balls to help my son in his future after im gone i would sign balls all day long.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball111 View Post

I don't think Mays did that inscription, just look at the pressure of the pen, two different hands
Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
I don't think Mays did that inscription, just look at the pressure of the pen, two different hands
I have to disagree. As others have mentioned, I think this is an example where they took an 'old' autograph and him Willie add the inscription to increase the value recently. Willie's 81 with terrible vision so I'm not surprised that his sig and inscription look vastly different.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
I have to disagree. As others have mentioned, I think this is an example where they took an 'old' autograph and him Willie add the inscription to increase the value recently. Willie's 81 with terrible vision so I'm not surprised that his sig and inscription look vastly different.
Good point, but would they go through the trouble of maybe paying to just have that inscription since he charges out of the a$$

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 12-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Default JimStinson

My kids ask me for my autograph all of the time.....but its always on CHECKS !
Old 03-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Resurrecting an old thread. Any updates on this question?

I came across the below thread on another website from a few years ago.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/fo...age=1#comments

Last edited by jimjim; 03-27-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:23 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Can you please explain?
There are also a ton of Jeter forgeries with Steiner holograms and the sellers NEVER have the Steiner cert card.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:24 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

I wonder if that is why Steiner has changed their hologram sticker that now has a serial number on it.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:49 AM
Richard Simon

Reading the thread on the other site the one thing I find most amusing/interesting is that these questionable Willie Mays autographs originate in Florida. What an amazing coincidence.
What once was the Sunshine State is now the state with a VERY dark cloud over it, for multiple reasons.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-27-2016, 07:56 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Reading the thread on the other site the one thing I find most amusing/interesting is that these questionable Willie Mays autographs originate in Florida. What an amazing coincidence.
What once was the Sunshine State is now the state with a VERY dark cloud over it, for multiple reasons.
+100

All of that GFA-certed crap (both the machine-produced and hand-penned forgeries) originate from Florida.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:00 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:

Makes me sick
Death part of life...even funeral parlors guilt widows to buy the luxury coffin and charge for many other extras..
Old 03-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

So are the TPAs just denying anything with a Willie Mays say hey hologram on it? That would be unfortunate, as the company was once legitimate on the not too distant past. I have a couple of items with a say hey hologram on them.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:34 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
There are also a ton of Jeter forgeries with Steiner holograms and the sellers NEVER have the Steiner cert card.
AH, a whole new branch of the industry has opened up. The hologram forger.
How nice of them to share their skills with the rest of us.
I am waiting for an auction on ebay to appear offering these holograms.
"Create your own fakes, Opening Bid $9.99."
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-27-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:38 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
So are the TPAs just denying anything with a Willie Mays say hey hologram on it? That would be unfortunate, as the company was once legitimate on the not too distant past. I have a couple of items with a say hey hologram on them.
From my reading, of the Autograph Magazine thread, it appears that PAAS was denying the hologram autographs and JSA and PSA were authenticating them.
Please correct me if I missed something.
--
Old 03-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
My kids ask me for my autograph all of the time.....but its always on CHECKS !
Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Let's face it fellow autograph collectors after the aging paper and ink techniques appeared mainstream 75-80 years ago and then laser printers and good quality photographic reproduction techniques and products appeared and then fake LOAs appeared and then substiting items in cases started wouldn't the next natural evolutionary step in autograph forgery be a counterfeit / copied hologram . Should we really be surprised that this is now occurring ?
Autographs have been forged for how many years 100-200 going back to Presidential and Royalty signatures ?
As in so many cases the criminal will always find a way to evolve in order to sell their products and in most cases are already planning their next foray into the hobby despite our best efforts to stop them .
You can't wipe out forgers in our hobby any more than you can rid the world of rats or roaches....they adapt and continue despite our best efforts .
Be vigilant and educate yourselves is still the best advice .
Old 03-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Can I have one, Jim...
He is a generous guy. Ya' never know .
--
Old 04-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

http://www.cleansweepauctions.com/im...mays524400.jpg

So here's a recent auto that looks appropriate for a man of his age and condition, but looks nothing like the Say Hey hologram ones.

Just putting it out there.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:08 PM
S Vincent

I attached my Willie Mays with his hologram and a PSA sticker. Always just assumed it was real but due to this thread maybe not. Just thought I'd contribute this as another example for people to decide if they think these are fake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.1 KB, 219 views)