NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-01-2014, 04:04 PM

Default Honus Wagner 1909 Photo(Premium)

I have acquired this photo(premium), and I am not quite sure what is exactly? I have already received some very valuable input from some other forum members which I sincerely appreciate and am still trying to gain more information on it if possible.

Is this a photo? Premium? Reprint?

I have come across this same image on the front cover of the June 12, 1909 issue of Colliers. The image is beautiful. I know that the photographer is Frank Bingaman who was an accomplished photographer who has taken photos of Mr. Wagner for the Gazette times in Pittsburgh, but I have yet to find this photo except on the cover of Colliers.

I know this fact because the bottom left of this piece states " Bingaman..Pgh. Gazette Times....1909.

Any input and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks..Lucky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2768 (1).jpg (75.2 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2769 (1).jpg (79.5 KB, 342 views)
Old 12-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Graig Kreindler

I can't really speak about the type of photo you have there - whether it's an original, premium or whatever - but man, it's one hell of an image!!

It's not every day you run into quality unposed action shots from the deadball era. If it's a legit Type 1 original, I think you'd have something pretty special and unique.

Graig
Old 12-01-2014, 05:14 PM

Hello Graig,

Thank you for your input...

Here is the Colliers June 12 , 1909 magazine issue with the front cover being the image of the photo(premium).

Thanks again,
Lucky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 391.jpg (23.2 KB, 304 views)
Old 12-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Graig Kreindler

It's interesting to note the change of the background for the Colliers cover. I'm pretty sure that ballpark facade is from the Polo Grounds pre-1909. However, your photo shows Exposition Park in Pittsburgh. The final game played there by the Pirates was in June of 1909 (Forbes was opened by the end of the month).

For the record, according to Okkonen and his uniform research, the Pirates had the interlocking PBC on their sleeves in 1908 and 1909, so I would imagine it's from one of those two years.

So yeah, don't know if it helps much, but the image can most likely be dated to before July of 1909.

For the record, Getty actually has the image as it appears on the Colliers cover:

Interestingly enough, they date it to 1905 and list the catcher as Bresnahan. If that is indeed true, then it would be from '08, as Roger was a Cardinal by 1909. During the '08 season, the Giants played at Exposition during three different swings, one in mid-May, one in mid-July and finally one in late August.

If you'd like, I can check the archives of the NYTimes to see if I can get any info on when the play happened (according to the Getty description, Honus was called out). Luckily there wouldn't be a crap-ton of games to look through. That is, if it's really from 1908.

Graig
Old 12-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Hello Graig,

Yes, I indeed did notice that the background of the photo was not the same.

The only reason that I state 1909 is because the photo I have has an inscription on the bottom left corner. I have been trying to post the photo but I cant seem to upload it.

It reads " Bingaman
Pgh. Gazette Times
Old 12-01-2014, 07:16 PM

A photo on double weight paper (like your is) should have some pretty intense mirroring or "silvering" of the dark parts of the image if it is really from 1909. If you tilt it to the light, does the black portions of the image turn silvery (like a mirror) or not?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:50 PM

It does look like it.....not entirely sure if this constitutes as a lot of mirroring?

I tried to post a few up close photos but I cant seem to download them onto this post right now.

I can send you an e-mail with some of the photos if you would like to see them?

Thank you for your time and patience.

BTW...I have purchased from your auction house....Very impressive!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Graig Kreindler

For what it's worth, I did look through the Times archives, and of the games against the Giants in 1908, one of them proved to sound interesting. On August 25, Wagner tried to score from first on a single in the fifth inning and was thrown out. The article also made mention of the sparse crowd, which it looks like the photo shows.

But again, this info could be of no use if the photo was indeed taken in '09. If you can post better shots of the photo, maybe we can discern the uniform or face of the catcher a bit better?

If you're having trouble uploading them, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help.

Graig
gkreindler@gmail.com