NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Scott S

Default 1903 Cy Young cane on eBay

I just noticed a 1903 Cy Young presentational cane on eBay - not sure about the authenticity of this one.

link

For starters, the Red Sox didn't go by the Red Sox name until several years after 1903 - they were called the Pilgrims or Americans at the time. In addition, in 1903 it wouldn't have been called the "World Series" - more likely would be "championship series" or "world's series."

Since the bidding already is at $3k, I wanted to at least share what I know...

Scott S@ri@n
Old 09-18-2016, 07:40 PM

The team nick name was "Pilgrims." "Americans" referred to the fact that they were Boston's AL team--the Braves were referred to as the "Nationals." Same in New York, as it had a team in each league, too. The Highlanders were referred to as "Americans," the Giants as "Nationals." Neither Americans nor Nationals was a team nick name, though, in the sense that "Pilgrims," "Braves," Highlanders," or "Giants" were.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:59 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I just noticed a 1903 Cy Young presentational cane on eBay - not sure about the authenticity of this one.

link

For starters, the Red Sox didn't go by the Red Sox name until several years after 1903 - they were called the Pilgrims or Americans at the time. In addition, in 1903 it wouldn't have been called the "World Series" - more likely would be "championship series" or "world's series."

Since the bidding already is at $3k, I wanted to at least share what I know...

Scott S@ri@n
Good observations. Maybe it was presented several years later, maybe many years later, in celebration of that victory and the only Boston World Series he pitched in. The term World Series wasn't used until the late teens.

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 09-18-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:35 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Not the best quality engraving on this piece, actually it is pretty horrendous. I have no idea of the provenance but I'm skeptical that that is an authentic item.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 09-18-2016, 11:36 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Not the best quality engraving on this piece, actually it is pretty horrendous. I have no idea of the provenance but I'm skeptical that that is an authentic item.
I thought that when I saw the engraving as well. You would think that the "TO" would be centered. It looks amateurish.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:07 AM
Rob

I think it may be "real" but presented by some unofficial group. I sometimes wonder whether an item like this was at all treasured or used by the recipient. For me, a cane from the Podunk City Chamber of Commerce would be way, way, way less valuable than something issued by a team or league.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:46 AM

Reading the description, I might get the impression that the Sports Auctions that he mentions did not feel comfortable taking it for their auction.

Rob M
Old 09-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Reading the description, I might get the impression that the Sports Auctions that he mentions did not feel comfortable taking it for their auction.

Rob M
Exactly what I was thinking.

I did send the information I posted to the seller last night - we'll see if he does anything to amend / update his listing based on that. I'm guessing he actually might, since he does list a 100% money back guarantee, but we shall see.....
Old 09-19-2016, 09:50 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I think it may be "real" but presented by some unofficial group. I sometimes wonder whether an item like this was at all treasured or used by the recipient. For me, a cane from the Podunk City Chamber of Commerce would be way, way, way less valuable than something issued by a team or league.
This is what I am thinking. Someone from West Bumscrew wanted ol' Cy to attend their community day at some point well after he retired and this was a kindly gesture for him. I would also agree that value is greatly compromised without a trail of ownership. He may have given to someone before leaving the event for all we know. Still a neat item. Not something I would be interested in for anywhere near its current price though.

Tom C
Old 09-20-2016, 08:36 AM
Jason S!m@nds

It would make sense that they presented Cy Young with a cane during his later years. You don't really give a 35 year old athlete a cane as a present. This cane might originate from as late as the 1940's. It would be interesting to know whether there was an anniversary game or some sort of pregame ceremony for Young.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Joe

While I agree it would make sense that they presented Cy Young with a cane during his later years, it’s not true that you wouldn’t really give a 35 year old athlete a cane as a present, back then. Today canes are primarily regarded for Orthopedic use, but back then Canes were used very widely as a fashion statement and for ceremony.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

Maybe related to the building of Northeasterns Cabot gym? It was built in 1953- 4, so he might have been around for the groundbreaking. The naming as the Cabot center and placing the plaque that mentions the World Series wasn't until after he died. But there was also a plaque out back near where homeplate was that was also placed about the same time as the one on the building, so they must have been considering the importance of the location.

It looks older, but refitting something older might have been done.

Steve B
Old 09-21-2016, 07:26 AM
Scott S

No response from the seller on this one and it's been over a couple of days now, so I'm assuming he knows something might be questionable with it, but bidding is at $4500 now so he doesn't want to mess up anything.....
Old 09-23-2016, 08:25 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

$7600 and climbing
Old 09-29-2016, 08:43 PM
E. Angyal

Default Cys later years

I believe he lived in the Newcomerstown/Peoli area of southeastern Ohio at the end of his life. Doubt he was in Mass.

Eric