NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2016, 03:56 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Default Grading Question

I picked up this 1939 Play Ball Ted Williams at the National this year. I had been looking for one for a while, aiming for a lower numeric grade example with good eye appeal. I was pretty happy to find this one, and feel that I got a pretty good deal on it (well below VCP). The card has some scuffing (for lack of a better term) on the back, in the space under the writing (and above "PLAY BALL - America"). Upon first glance, I thought that possibly the card had previously been glued into a book, or otherwise attached to something with adhesive (and then carefully removed), but I'm not really sure that the damage is consistent with that. It isn't really like the paper loss that you would normally see in such instances. Further, the area doesn't have any staining, just the scratching/scuffing that you can see in the attached photos (sorry for the poor images taken with cell phone - need to invest in a scanner).

I am curious to hear opinions on the grade that the card received. Does that degree of scratching/scuffing automatically reduce the grade to a 2 (or lower), despite the condition of the rest of the card, or is it subjective? Do you think this card might receive a higher grade if resubmitted? In my opinion, this card looks better (overall) than other PSA 2's I have seen. For all intents and purposes, the grade doesn't really matter, as I have no intention on selling the card. Really, just want to learn more about what is considered during the grading process. Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah.

Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg (36.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-5.jpg (40.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-4.jpg (45.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 12-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Ben North

Looks like it could have been writing that someone erased. Congrats on an awesome looking card.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:02 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Not sure on what it is...but man, that is an amazing looking 2! I got a 3 that looks waaaaay worse .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Jeff

You have a beautiful 2 there.
It appears to be a card with paper loss on the back which in many,many cases lowers the grade to a 1 best case - most days.
It appears to me the overall appeal of the card was taken into account IMO.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-24-2016, 04:07 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Looks like it could have been writing that someone erased. Congrats on an awesome looking card.
Agreed. My money is on erased writing. It will never grade better than a 2, but its a damn nice 2. Nice find.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:09 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Simple answer...yes.

To be honest a 2 is a decent grade for a card with surface damage like that. I doubt any grader will go over that and as the others mentioned, it's a generous grade.

The good news is that many collectors (myself included) will definitely pay a premium for a card with such excellent display qualities. I am often less concerned about the reverse.

So is it a two? Yep.
Is it worth more than than the average two? To the right collector...yep.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 12-24-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:11 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I thought erased writing yielded an Altered/Authentic, so my money's on scuffing. Tough grade, but a great card regardless.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:21 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I suppose it could be a removed sticker or tape of some kind, but it appears there are two distinct lines which make me think erased writing. I think some graders grade erased writing the same as writing itself, with the argument being that removing something that shouldn't have been there in the first place shouldn't constitute as an "altered" assessment.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:39 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Thank you for all the responses. I appreciate the info. Looks like it is pretty well agreed upon that 2 is the correct grade (regardless of what caused the damage). I guess in this case it worked out in my favor. Probably wouldn't have been able to afford it if it was graded higher.