NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2017, 07:22 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Auction House Shipping Question

Hey,

I just wanted to get some thoughts on a few things.

1. I just want to give props to LOTG and RMY in particular as they do business the right way with the small things such as what I am going to explain.

Both companies have made money on my items from the buyers Premiums they have charged and in some cases a sellers premium.

I know this, they know this, and it's fine. It's business. Everyone has to eat.

What I love about them is that they do not nickel and dime you.

What I mean by this, is that when they receive something that does not fit in their auction from me, or that doesn't sell, the item is sent back to me at their expense not mine.

While the item not selling or not fitting their auction is MY fault not THEIRS, I appreciate the fact that they practice good business and did not try to drain every last nickel out of me. (ESPECIALLY LOTG as he sends stuff back and pays $50 S/H in some cases).

They give that small business feel which is comforting.

I bring this up due to the following situation.

I recently had an experience with a BIGGER auction house. (BIG ONE).

This company is very very profitable.

I gave them a few BIG TICKET ITEMS that actually did poorly in their last major auction. (less than 50% of their appraisal)

They know it, I know it, it's a fact.

They then gave me a appraisal on other stuff they had from me that didn't make that auction and was supposed to go in their next one.

This appraisal was very low in my estimation.

I kindly asked for them to send the items back. After about 2 weeks of waiting and asking and waiting and asking, I get a email that the items were sent back. Much to my surprise, the invoice says Note: Bill shipping cost to client.

So they made a nice chunk of my items last auction (I lost money and they have to know this by the final selling prices), now they feel it necessary to charge me additionally?

Wouldn't you stop for a minute and say hey, maybe we should try to keep this guy happy for future business?

I guess the moral of the story as so many people have said in here before is that MOST (not all) of the big boys could really care less about their customer service. Once they get your items, you aren't as valuable to them anymore.

It's America though and I get it... The rich keep getting richer at the smaller guys expense.

It's just comforting to know that some business owners still do things the right way.

I would like to get some thoughts on this experience, as well as hear of other stories like mine or not like mine.

Opinions are welcome, good or bad.

This is just my situation and maybe it's a one off thing?
Old 12-08-2017, 07:52 AM
Brendan Mullen

RMY is my favorite auction house in the world!
Old 12-08-2017, 08:15 AM
J3ff Thr0m

Default Love of the Game

I am having a little different experience regarding shipping with LOTG this go round, not positive but I can deal with it.

I didn't get an invoice but had checked a couple of times the days after the auction and then paid early on Tuesday 11/28 when I saw it post. I followed up at the end of the week regarding shipping and didn't get a response.

I saw that it shipped this Monday but wasn't notified and there isn't a tracking number tied to the invoice.

So it shipped on Monday and I'll just wait a few more days and see if it comes.

I guess it's a pseudo-complaint against a company I've always had good experiences with and will give them the benefit of the doubt. It's just a little concerning when you spend $1000 on stuff and it just ends up in a sort of limbo without any communication. Add in the 23% premium because I paid with paypal, and I would say I was a little disappointed.....

Oh well.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I can see both sides of this. Would have been nice sure. But you sent them a few items that didn’t sell well, then sent them more items and didnt like what they valued them at and ask they be returned. Great relationship building move? No. But it Didn’t exactly seem like the beginning of a fruitful relationship anyway.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Pete Sycks

What their estimates are on their website means absolutely nothing for what it'll actually sell for. I've seen cards estimated at $5k and go for $50k. It's just a ploy to get people thinking "Is this a good deal? Should I bid?". As for the second comment about wanting your items back after hearing their estimates, shouldn't that have been done before sending them out? I don't see why the AH should lose money in shipping if a client wants their cards back regardless if they've done business with them in the past.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's

Last edited by sycks22; 12-08-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I’d be surprised if any AH regularly eats $50 shipping costs where they need to return something to a consignor and haven’t made a sale. Maybe a courtesy for high level customers. Seems like that would eat into the bottom line pretty quickly.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
What their estimates are on their website means absolutely nothing for what it'll actually sell for. I've seen cards estimated at $5k and go for $50k. It's just a plow to get people thinking "Is this a good deal? Should I bid?". As for the second comment about wanting your items back after hearing their estimates, shouldn't that have been done before sending them out? I don't see why the AH should lose money in shipping if a client wants their cards back regardless if they've done business with them in the past.

Well I should have been more clear. They won't appraise till they see it.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Al

Usually I don't drop into threads like this (thanks for the props, Steve), but there are a couple of issues that I see happening with this last LOTG auction, and I'm not sure there's a better way to deal with it than this.

Emails I send are not reaching their destination, and neither are emails regarding tracking numbers. I'm getting 5 or 6 emails a day about this, to the point where I actually set up a new email address with a new domain name, just so I can send followup emails.

EVERY PERSON who wins something in my auction receives two emails when their item ships: one from my auction software, and a SECOND email, from the USPS, that contains the tracking number.

If that email is not in your inbox, PLEASE check your spam folder. Since every package we send goes out via Priority Mail at the very least, there is a tracking number associated with each and every package we send.

If it's not in your spam folder, please reach out to me at info@loveofthegameauctions.com and I will respond with the tracking number. Apologies for whatever is causing this; I can't figure it out.

Also - just to clarify, in the case of consignments that do not sell, I do return those to the consignors at my expense (admittedly, it takes a while sometimes).

-Al
Old 12-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Pete Sycks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Usually I don't drop into threads like this (thanks for the props, Steve), but there are a couple of issues that I see happening with this last LOTG auction, and I'm not sure there's a better way to deal with it than this.

Emails I send are not reaching their destination, and neither are emails regarding tracking numbers. I'm getting 5 or 6 emails a day about this, to the point where I actually set up a new email address with a new domain name, just so I can send followup emails.

EVERY PERSON who wins something in my auction receives two emails when their item ships: one from my auction software, and a SECOND email, from the USPS, that contains the tracking number.

If that email is not in your inbox, PLEASE check your spam folder. Since every package we send goes out via Priority Mail at the very least, there is a tracking number associated with each and every package we send.

If it's not in your spam folder, please reach out to me at info@loveofthegameauctions.com and I will respond with the tracking number. Apologies for whatever is causing this; I can't figure it out.

Also - just to clarify, in the case of consignments that do not sell, I do return those to the consignors at my expense (admittedly, it takes a while sometimes).

-Al

Al is a class act in every way possible. One of the best in the business.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-08-2017, 10:46 AM
J3ff Thr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post

-Al
Thank you Al!
Old 12-09-2017, 06:16 AM
Jeff P

Al always makes things right! Consign and bid at LOTG with confidence.

jeff
Old 12-09-2017, 06:32 AM

Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Hey,

I just wanted to get some thoughts on a few things.

1. I just want to give props to LOTG and RMY in particular as they do business the right way with the small things such as what I am going to explain.

Both companies have made money on my items from the buyers Premiums they have charged and in some cases a sellers premium.

I know this, they know this, and it's fine. It's business. Everyone has to eat.

What I love about them is that they do not nickel and dime you.

What I mean by this, is that when they receive something that does not fit in their auction from me, or that doesn't sell, the item is sent back to me at their expense not mine.

While the item not selling or not fitting their auction is MY fault not THEIRS, I appreciate the fact that they practice good business and did not try to drain every last nickel out of me. (ESPECIALLY LOTG as he sends stuff back and pays $50 S/H in some cases).

They give that small business feel which is comforting.

I bring this up due to the following situation.

I recently had an experience with a BIGGER auction house. (BIG ONE).

This company is very very profitable.

I gave them a few BIG TICKET ITEMS that actually did poorly in their last major auction. (less than 50% of their appraisal)

They know it, I know it, it's a fact.

They then gave me a appraisal on other stuff they had from me that didn't make that auction and was supposed to go in their next one.

This appraisal was very low in my estimation.

I kindly asked for them to send the items back. After about 2 weeks of waiting and asking and waiting and asking, I get a email that the items were sent back. Much to my surprise, the invoice says Note: Bill shipping cost to client.

So they made a nice chunk of my items last auction (I lost money and they have to know this by the final selling prices), now they feel it necessary to charge me additionally?

Wouldn't you stop for a minute and say hey, maybe we should try to keep this guy happy for future business?

I guess the moral of the story as so many people have said in here before is that MOST (not all) of the big boys could really care less about their customer service. Once they get your items, you aren't as valuable to them anymore.

It's America though and I get it... The rich keep getting richer at the smaller guys expense.

It's just comforting to know that some business owners still do things the right way.

I would like to get some thoughts on this experience, as well as hear of other stories like mine or not like mine.

Opinions are welcome, good or bad.

This is just my situation and maybe it's a one off thing?

Did you reach out to the auction house and express your side? If yes, what was their response?