NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 01-08-2019, 02:39 PM
Jas.on Char.nick

Default PWCC erroneously lists 1990 Topps George Bush USA card...

Sent them an e-mail about this last night, but wanted to make the community at large aware of this in case they refuse to update their listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401681500384

BGS has been labelling these as Glossy for a while now, but they are demonstrably NOT the White House issue. I purchased one of these BGS "Glossy" slabbed cards years ago because Terry Boyd had also claimed it to be a WH issue, because of BGS's mistake.

I posted about this a few years ago both here and on Blowout when I first purchased the card.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=194474

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=778408

ALL 1990 Bush USA cards are glossy in appearance, with a sheen not present on standard issue 1990 Topps cards. The White House issue has an additional lacquer-like coating, and my guess is, when BGS learned of this additional variation, they started putting "Glossy" on their flips because they would look different from the regular 90's. Either way, this card listed by PWCC is being touted as the far rarer WH issue, when it is not.

Hoping they do the right thing, but as I haven't heard back, and the listing is already over 2 grand, I'm doubtful.

More info on these variations can be found on the PSA web site:

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...-baseball-card
Old 01-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Jas.on Char.nick

UPDATE: Just watched this YouTube video they posted on the listing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iao0XU_BjBo

This definitely IS the WH version, you can clearly see the coating extend past the card in the BGS slab. This is definitely all on BGS then, as the slab I used to have says the same thing as the listing, but mine is clearly NOT the WH issue, as there is not additional lacquer coating on top. My apologies for jumping the gun on PWCC, but BGS has screwed the pooch once more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1990 Topps George Bush Glossy BGS Original - Front.jpg (75.5 KB, 302 views)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:26 AM
$cott Cl1nt0n

So BGS marked a "glossy" as WH issue and a "WH Issue" as a glossy? Wow, my faith in all the TPGs just continues to soar.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Where does the coating extend past the card??

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Where does the coating extend past the card??
If you look at the PWCC card (below), you'll notice the coating extends slightly beyond the edges of the card, whereas on the OP's card above, there is no coating beyond the card's edges. I believe this is what he's referring to.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 01-13-2019, 10:06 PM
Steve Spiegel

Default 1990 Topps Bush experts

I have been fascinated with the 1990 Topps George Bush card for many years and have attempted to read up on every bit of information that the internet has to provide on this card including old posts on Net54. With that said, I agree with others that the current PWCC auction is a White House Edition.

I was curious as to any expert opinions on whether people believe my 1990 Topps Bush (Beckett Glossy) is a White House Edition. I attached a picture of the card along with two zoomed in photos showing the extra lamination that can be seen over the corners of the card. I am confident that I am holding a White House Edition. As such, I would prefer to have my card graded with the White House Edition designation. When I sent the card to PSA for grading, PSA did not want to cross the card unless I could prove to them over the phone how I could be in possession of a White House edition. Instead of crossing the card, they sent me a PSA label back (see photo) and left the card in the Beckett slab.

I would like to know whether other members think that this 1990 Topps Bush is a White House Edition and if anyone has any ideas on how to get this card the proper label. I believe PSA is the only company that puts the distinction on the card that this time.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bush 1.jpg (74.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Bush 2.jpg (64.7 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Bush 3.jpg (64.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Bush 4.jpg (68.6 KB, 164 views)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:58 AM
And*y Quig!ey

Perhaps the title of the original post can be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charnick View Post
UPDATE: Just watched this YouTube video they posted on the listing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iao0XU_BjBo

This definitely IS the WH version, you can clearly see the coating extend past the card in the BGS slab. This is definitely all on BGS then, as the slab I used to have says the same thing as the listing, but mine is clearly NOT the WH issue, as there is not additional lacquer coating on top. My apologies for jumping the gun on PWCC, but BGS has screwed the pooch once more.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:00 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

PSA sent you the label, but didn't slab the card? Does the cert number check out on their website? I would escalate the issue with them, because they shouldn't be forwarding out labels to people who could then use them for fraudulent purposes.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 AM
Steve Spiegel

That is correct. PSA sent me the label, but didn't slab the card. Before, grading the card, they contacted me to ask me questions as to how I could be in possession of a White House version of the card. At the time they spoke with me, they did not tell me what they were going to do with the card. After the telephone call, the label was sent back to me with the card still in the Beckett holder. I tried contacting PSA via email and telephone for clarification but have been unable to get a response. Oddly, the cert on the label does not match with a Bush card so I do not think fraudulent use of the label is a possibility.

With that said, the purpose of my post was to see which version of the card other collectors think this is.

Steve
Old 01-14-2019, 01:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

Was the gloss applied like a lamination on the WH version?

To me that's a bit suspect, as the cutter should have cut the gloss too just like on most modern cards with a heavy gloss layer.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Steve Spiegel

I am not sure. My card was already graded by Beckett when I purchased it. Therefore I have only viewed my card through the Beckett slab.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:17 PM
Ben North

I would really like a high resolution scan of the front of either version. If you can help please PM me for my email to send it to. Thanks