NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-28-2022, 12:31 PM
David M.

Default 1952 Mantle in TV Show

I was flipping around the TV the other night and they were about to arrest the bad guy. He said he would give up if, after they arrest him, he can just look at what's in the case one more time. Well, I wanted to know what it was so I stuck around. They arrested him and then they opened the case to reveal a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card. He said, "It's a Mantle rookie card and it's worth millions!" What show was was that on?

It made me think of all those threads on Net54 where we mention a show or movie where they show baseball cards. I found this fairly exhaustive list on the web when trying to find out about the recent show I saw:

http://baseballcardbreakdown.blogspo...es-and-tv.html

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 11-01-2022 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:08 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I was flipping around the TV the other night and they were about to arrest the bad guy. He said he would give up if, after they arrest him he can just look at what's in the case one more time. Well, I wanted to know what it was so I stuck around. They arrested him and then they opened the case to reveal a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card. He said, "It's a Mantle rookie card and it's worth millions!" What show was was that on?

It made me think of all those threads where we say mention a show or movie where they show baseball cards. I found this fairly exhaustive list on the web when trying to find out about the recent show I saw:

In the first season, I believe, of Better Call Saul, there is a character named Pryce who had his card collection stolen and reference is made by him after the theft to a 1952 Topps Mantle being part of the collection. The theft of his collection was included in a couple of episodes. Not sure if the scene you describe is from that series though.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:45 PM

there was an episode of Hart to Hart in about 1981 that featured a stolen collection, including the Mick...but it wasn't referenced as millions...that probably wasn't the episode you referenced

God I'm old....
Old 10-28-2022, 04:05 PM
Bob C.

That's got to be a fairly recent show then. No '52 Mantles have been worth millions till the last few years.

And thanks Chase, now I'm going to have to go back and start watching "Better Call Saul" on Netflix. I don't remember that Pryce guy you were talking about. LOL
Old 10-29-2022, 05:56 AM
Bob F.

Pryce on "Better Call Saul" is Mark Proksch--the same guy who plays Colin Robinson on "What We Do in the Shadows." I love him.

Mark Proksch on IMDB
Old 10-29-2022, 05:27 PM
Steve

Default Tough one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I was flipping around the TV the other night and they were about to arrest the bad guy. He said he would give up if, after they arrest him he can just look at what's in the case one more time. Well, I wanted to know what it was so I stuck around. They arrested him and then they opened the case to reveal a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card. He said, "It's a Mantle rookie card and it's worth millions!" What show was was that on?

It made me think of all those threads on Net54 where we mention a show or movie where they show baseball cards. I found this fairly exhaustive list on the web when trying to find out about the recent show I saw:

Not the one you are looking for, but the plot of the Bruce Willis flick "Cop Out" contains a reference to a '52 Topps card - I think it is the Pafko, though. Willis' character tries to sell the card for less than a grand, if I recall, and at the end of the film, someone shoots the guy carrying the card in his shirt pocket and the bullet also destroys the card. Nobody cared but Willis.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:02 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Not the one you are looking for, but the plot of the Bruce Willis flick "Cop Out" contains a reference to a '52 Topps card - I think it is the Pafko, though. Willis' character tries to sell the card for less than a grand, if I recall, and at the end of the film, someone shoots the guy carrying the card in his shirt pocket and the bullet also destroys the card. Nobody cared but Willis.
Yup, it was the #1 Pafko card from the '52 Topps set. I think he wanted to sell it to pay for his daughter's wedding, or something like that. It was a bit of a throwback to when price guides would inflate the values of the first and last cards in sets, because back in the day kids supposedly rubber banded their cards together with those first and last cards being on the tops and bottoms of the stacks, and getting the most damage from the rubber bands then. So nicer condition first and last cards in sets were supposedly worth more money then than most other cards in the set. Not sure that thinking is much the case anymore.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:52 AM
Albert Bee

Default 52 T Mantle in TV show

I think it was a recent episode of newer TV show - Big Sky

bad guy going to jail...opens trunk of car to look at 52T Mantle ..one more time
Old 10-30-2022, 03:19 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
I think it was a recent episode of newer TV show - Big Sky

bad guy going to jail...opens trunk of car to look at 52T Mantle ..one more time
You found it! Thank you.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:34 AM
Anthony

Yes, Big Sky - I watched that episode. The bad guy stashed the card away in a '79 Firebird before being locked up years prior. After getting out of jail years later, he went looking for his card, tearing up several '79 Firebirds along the way before he finally found the one where he stashed the card. Pretty far fetched plot, but hey, it DID feature a '52 Topps Mantle, so that made it pretty cool.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:50 AM
J0hn Collin$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOzEWE1IU0Q

The Pryce character in Better Call Saul was pretty funny. They got some things right ("It's a mint, 60/40, 90/10 on the reverse. I could go on...") but sadly couldn't follow it up. When Mike works it out with Nacho to get his cards back, they bring out a bunch of junk wax boxes that supposedly contain this guy's Mantle and Aaron cards. If they were worth the fortune he had told the police, you would expect to see slabs - but he's digging through raw commons and then claims to find all the expensive cards. Not super believable.

It's hard to get hobby details right for stuff like this. Even Stephen King screwed it up in "Needful Things." It was clear he had done some card research, but some of the things he said just came across as a bit off, referring to "Fleers" and "Lucky Strike" cards.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-02-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:10 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes, Big Sky - I watched that episode. The bad guy stashed the card away in a '79 Firebird before being locked up years prior. After getting out of jail years later, he went looking for his card, tearing up several '79 Firebirds along the way before he finally found the one where he stashed the card. Pretty far fetched plot, but hey, it DID feature a '52 Topps Mantle, so that made it pretty cool.

Nothing nearly that exciting happened during my less exhausting search for anything in my collection.

However, somewhere, there's a Red Dodge Intrepid with a bunch of my favorite CDs under the drivers' seat.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-02-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 04:54 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOzEWE1IU0Q

The Pryce character in Better Call Saul was pretty funny. They got some things right ("It's a mint, 60/40, 90/10 on the reverse. I could go on...") but sadly couldn't follow it up. When Mike works it out with Nacho to get his cards back, they bring out a bunch of junk wax boxes that supposedly contain this guy's Mantle and Aaron cards. If they were worth the fortune he had told the police, you would expect to see slabs - but he's digging through raw commons and then claims to find all the expensive cards. Not super believable.
Well, bear in mind the timeline of BCS starts around 2002.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:10 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Well, bear in mind the timeline of BCS starts around 2002.
I'm not guessing he would have a Mantle RC totally raw, not even a penny sleeve, in a 2 row box with hundreds of other cards. Even in 2002.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-03-2022 at 10:11 AM.