NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Matt Wieder

Default eBay Mess

Maybe I'm just suffering from not having morning coffee, but it seems eBay has done away with the categories in the sports card space and has vaporized the "pre-1930s" category. If anyone figures out a reasonable way to browse vintage card listings on eBay, please post it here.

Last edited by Matt; 09-21-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Brad Green

I noticed the same thing this morning.... Hopefully it's a temporary problem, maybe just a "glitch" in their system...
Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Matt Wieder

Brad - thanks for the confirmation. I'm afraid it's not a glitch as there are dozens of complaints on eBay's forums regarding the same issues with other categories. It's unfathomable to me that eBay makes these decisions not knowing that it will make using their site more difficult, so I must assume that they are aware of the issues but because controlling your search experience this way will allow them to guide you to results they want you to see, my guess is that they felt the change was important enough to force on the system, assuming that since they are, by far, the biggest game in town, people will suck it up.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Jimmy M

I was doing some early morning searching, and tried refresh after refresh...thinking that maybe after 100, ebay would have regained some common sense. Not to be...
Old 09-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Sean Brennan

this could be a good thing for us deal searchers
Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
this could be a good thing for us deal searchers
Maybe for a few days until sellers realize that buyers can't find their listings and stop posting.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:05 AM

Well that sucks...I just checked to see if it did the same thing when I ran that search and instead of searching "pre-1930s", it searches under "baseball" with 10,000+ baseball items. You should see some of the quality stuff listed under that search . Jay Buhner autograph anyone? So much for a convenient filtering method to find the items you really seek.

My question is...why hasn't there been some kind of viable alternative developed to compete with e-bay? In almost all other aspects of commercial life there are multiple venues to choose from. Surely many sellers, fed up with e-bays idiotic changes would flock to a new site. So why do you think e-bay is still a "monopoly"? I know there have been some similar sites that have tried and failed, but with all the recent changes, don't you think now might be the time to try?

Mike
Old 09-21-2009, 07:09 AM
Barry Sloate

Yep, pre-1930's is gone. In fact almost all subdivisions are gone.

I just went into the "sell" mode and started browing categories. After I hit "cards", it took me to the subcategory "baseball" and that's it, I had now chosen a category for selling. I wasn't asked if I wanted major or minor league baseball, whether I wanted pre-1930's or 1950's, or whether the card was SGC or PSA graded. Why would they take away categories? Wouldn't that make searching more onerous?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Maybe for a few days until sellers realize that buyers can't find their listings and stop posting.
I'll second that! I had planned on putting a bunch of cards on eBay starting today. With this category change.....it is not going to happen anytime soon. From a sellers perspective, today is not a great day to be running any auctions. Argh! What the frickin' frack!!!

If I'm understanding the changes right, we now only have one GIANT baseball category. That's a fantastic idea but a bit short-sighted. Why stop there. Lets have one giant category for all eBay sellers! That way, we can rekindle the feeling of the old fashion flea market. Imagine browsing through the eBay maze looking for your favorite pre war card (soft music playing in the background), when all of a sudden a Manny Ramirez beanie baby catches your eye..... Yep, eBay stock is going to go thru the roof!@#!

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 09-21-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Insert Pic...
Old 09-21-2009, 07:29 AM
Dave

Best Match baby! Best Match!

Now Ebay can tell YOU, what's best for you.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Dave

New category breakdown from Ebay:

Stuff

More Stuff

Types of Peanut Butter

Misc. Stuff

Old 09-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Jim VB

Here's one work-around (not ideal, but what else is new):

Click:
Categories
Sports Memorabilia, Cards & Fan Shop
Baseball
Original
Year (A drop down menue appears listing individual years)
Choose More

Another menu pops up allowing you to select as many different years as you'd like to see. You can select every year from 1930 back.

Best I can see on short notice.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I have some items on there now and I am not very happy with this. I may just stop all my auctions.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Here's one work-around (not ideal, but what else is new):

Click:
Categories
Sports Memorabilia, Cards & Fan Shop
Baseball
Original
Year (A drop down menue appears listing individual years)
Choose More

Another menu pops up allowing you to select as many different years as you'd like to see. You can select every year from 1930 back.

Best I can see on short notice.
Jim - I saw that as well, but as the majority of listings are in the "undefined" category for "year" you'd be missing a huge chunk of listings if you used that to browse.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Jim - I saw that as well, but as the majority of listings are in the "undefined" category for "year" you'd be missing a huge chunk of listings if you used that to browse.
What??? Sellers would need to list the year of the card in the description??? Damn them!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Trae Regan

Damn, eBay.

The PreWarAuctions.com homepage is "broken" now, with all sorts of modern stuff showing up (it was showing pre-1930s before). Maybe I'll get rid of it then...

The other categories still work fine though. There is also a link at the bottom of each results page that will take you to eBay to see all of the results since the output is limited to 200 results max.

Browse by Set, T206 for example:
http://www.prewarauctions.com/baseba...white-borders/

Last edited by T206.org; 09-21-2009 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Added "Browse by Set:"...
Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Good news. Help is just a phonecall away.,
Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 AM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default e bay mess #98

this one is sure to cripple all sellers, yesterday will be our last run of e bay material unless they address this absolute stupidity.

This is a serious issue and as a buyer & seller, it will be difficult to reach targeted customers, the search is absolutely impossible using best match, so the material on e bay will be diluted again, this affects everyone..Everyone needs to call e bay..here is the #
1-866-442-3229

Bombard them with calls, this affects EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
good guys, great guys, auction houses, moral guys, immoral guys, ladies and gentleman etc...this is the worst decision yet from e bay and this filters down to everyone as quality sellers on e bay significantly contribute to collectors in finding material and auction houses will be affected also.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegashousegang View Post
I was doing some early morning searching, and tried refresh after refresh...thinking that maybe after 100, ebay would have regained some common sense. Not to be...
I think you could refresh all day and find that eBay still has no common sense.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Larry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post
this one is sure to cripple all sellers, yesterday will be our last run of e bay material unless they address this absolute stupidity.

This is a serious issue and as a buyer & seller, it will be difficult to reach targeted customers, the search is absolutely impossible using best match, so the material on e bay will be diluted again, this affects everyone..Everyone needs to call e bay..here is the #
1-866-442-3229

Bombard them with calls, this affects EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
good guys, great guys, auction houses, moral guys, immoral guys, ladies and gentleman etc...this is the worst decision yet from e bay and this filters down to everyone as quality sellers on e bay significantly contribute to collectors in finding material and auction houses will be affected also.
Larry- while I am probably not going to take the time to call, since I doubt ebay will listen, I think this might be their worst decision yet.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

This is obviously a mistake -- auctions seem to be gone as well.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Jim VB

According to one poster on the Ebay boards, Ebay is saying this is a "bug" in their system.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Dave

You guys don't understand. Ebay polled the community and this is what they asked for.

At least that's what it says in the e-mail I got from ebay titled "You asked for it!"
Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

There is an ebay email that claims users did not want there to be a breakdown by date of listed baseball cards? What could possibly be the advantage of that? Can't be. If this is a permanent change no one will ever list a vintage card on ebay again.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
You guys don't understand. Ebay polled the community and this is what they asked for.

At least that's what it says in the e-mail I got from ebay titled "You asked for it!"
Please show that email. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
There is an ebay email that claims users did not want there to be a breakdown by date of listed baseball cards? What could possibly be the advantage of that? Can't be. If this is a permanent change no one will ever list a vintage card on ebay again.

I was joking.

Or I could have been prophesying...........we shall see.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 AM
qualitycards

...and tomorrow's the day that every eBay seller must have their auctions in tow
stating what their handling time is as well as if refunds are accepted or not.
If both aren't taken care of, eBay will eliminate them.
Nice way to add revenue...just kill a % of the Buy It Now's that are in place.
Many sellers have changed the auctions & Buy It Now's, though I'm sure a good % has not
and will probably not re-list them
Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
According to one poster on the Ebay boards, Ebay is saying this is a "bug" in their system.

Not a "bug", this a well thought-out business decision.... Apparently, a few power sellers complained (during the town hall meetings) that with sooooo many categories, sellers sometimes have to spend extra $$$ to have the same item appear in more than one category. Therefore, one can reasonably conclude that ebay sales are going down because they have "too many categories". Thus, you end-up with a great idea from a bunch of great guys! You make the sellers happy and at the same time, you make it easier on the buyer when searching (best match). Yep, somebody got a big promotion with this idea.

Here is a link to the categories that have been changed. Plus a link announcing the changes (albiet, it's for ebay.UK....but they were once Americans):

http://pages.ebay.com/CategoryChanges/

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/200909211156112.html

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 09-21-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Jim VB

Thanks iggy. Stupidity abounds on the west coast, I guess.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Gonna make browsing impossible. Great way to alienate sports cards sellers and buyers.

The B/S/T is gonna be working overtime. Leon, start charging for listings and take this thing public!!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:35 AM
T!M R10rd@n

On a bright note, etopps still has its own category.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Ebay search

Just got off of a phone call to them (866)643-3720. They said I was the 1st complaint they had heard about this! They said they would look into it and call me back. I told them to search my completed auctions and look at what category they are listed in...all of them say "listed category:_______(blank)...no categories for the completed auctions!!! And all my running auctions have defaulted to category: Baseball cards!!! I told them if this is a permanant change it is the worst thing they could have done for this sect. of Ebay users....I am sure nothing will be done but she did say to have anyone I know who is upset with this to call Ebay and let them know.

-Claude
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Neal

Yeah I just noticed this! Hopefully this is just a temporary thing and fixed sometime soon!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Jimmy

Default eBay Mess

I am certainly disappointed in the change, but there are ways to create your own searches. Hopefully there will be enough complaints and they will change it back, if not I will just use some of the searches I have had setup for years and make adjustments.

Jimmy
Old 09-21-2009, 09:59 AM

I did my part, sending an email to eBay. let's everyone get off their butts and do the same.
I tried entering "t210" in the search box on the new baseball card page and one listing came up. I know this is wrong as I am bidding on several now but just one BIN came up. I know there are many BINs which didn't and no auctions came up.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 AM

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...ry=suggestions
Old 09-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Gonna make browsing impossible. Great way to alienate sports cards sellers and buyers.

The B/S/T is gonna be working overtime. Leon, start charging for listings and take this thing public!!!!
Great suggestion Greg.
First of all I am adamantly opposed to charging anything for what we do on the board today. That being said I have spoken, in the last few years and currently, with 3 s/w developers about running an auction, similar to ebay, for the board. Most likely it would be free for some time....until it got to a critical mass, and then there would possibly be a small fee......

Our free rinky dink auction section would still be there. I don't want to change anything. I only want to (maybe, and it's still a big maybe) add another feature......I am hopeful on having more conversations about it today. I do think we have the right traffic for sportscards.......I definitely understand the value equation for buyers and sellers.....I have been on ebay for over 10 yrs and have some experience with other hobby venues too......we shall see. If there is enough support it might happen.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Bob,

I just did a search for T210 and came up with 18 listings. How a seller types their title will determine if your search is going to be successful and pick up what you are looking for. So now you will have to search T 210, T210 and Old Mill to see that you got them all.

Greg
Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Jeff Sherman

Default on the phone with eBay

I just hung up with eBay reps (after 1 hour and 7 minutes)...

This is a planned change, not a bug. EBay did this to make browsing "more convenient" after doing "extensive research." This was "not done because of any input from our Powersellers."

There is a bug out there which has put many, many listings in NO CATEGORY whatsoever, including 3 of mine, and many others you can only find by manually searching for specific card type ("1952 Topps," "1989 Bowman," but not otherwise, since they do no show up in the sole remaining category of "Cards-Baseball."

There was absolutely no interest on either the line-person nor her supervisor (after a long line of bullsh*t about how they have to investigate what I'm saying, etc.) of how this screws me, my friends, my sellers, my buyers, no one. Period. None.

I am supposed to get an email (within 24 hours) that explains the reason for the changes, the benefits, etc. I'll post that drivel when it arrives.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Todd C

I sent my email to eBay giving my two-cents !
Old 09-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Alan U

Default Look at your current auctions

The listings I had for sale under the "pre 1930" category now don't have a category attached to them at all. The one's without bids I was able to revise, but the other one's can't be revised and now are sitting out there without a category.

I hate to end listings early that have bids, but might have to in this case.

-Alan
Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan View Post
I just hung up with eBay reps (after 1 hour and 7 minutes)...

This is a planned change, not a bug. EBay did this to make browsing "more convenient" after doing "extensive research." This was "not done because of any input from our Powersellers."

There is a bug out there which has put many, many listings in NO CATEGORY whatsoever, including 3 of mine, and many others you can only find by manually searching for specific card type ("1952 Topps," "1989 Bowman," but not otherwise, since they do no show up in the sole remaining category of "Cards-Baseball."

There was absolutely no interest on either the line-person nor her supervisor (after a long line of bullsh*t about how they have to investigate what I'm saying, etc.) of how this screws me, my friends, my sellers, my buyers, no one. Period. None.

I am supposed to get an email (within 24 hours) that explains the reason for the changes, the benefits, etc. I'll post that drivel when it arrives.

I will be very disappointed if nothing in this pending e-mail says "You asked for it, now here it is!"

Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 AM
T!M R10rd@n

I sent an email to auctionbytes. We'll see if they talk to ebay and report on it on their site.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Just called EBAY, what a waste of tome. After explaining to them whats happened they tell me to file a written report of whats happening. I also have cards listed. If this is not fixed sometime today I will have to remove them, if I can figure out how. What a joke. Frank A
Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Scott

For my small stuff that I sell, Id rather sell to guys on here, who I know are into sports. Plus, there isnt the BS stuff ebay is doign these days.

Of course, I understand that a "wider range" of appeal is needed on big ticket items too, as not everyone who collects cards and memorabilia belongs to Net54, tho they should, as its the best. Also, the pile of non sports paper and oddball I have gets bigger and bigger if I dont go to ebay. ha.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Tony Ooten

I usually search "all categories" anyway.

Although just this morning, I wanted to search 1950 bowman football and wanted to exclude baseball, but couldn't figure out how to search in the "football" category.

Unsophisticated eBayer I guess.

By the way Claude, thanks for buying that Reggie Booklet from me!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 AM

Default ebay

Yea, thanksTony...thought I'd try and put that set together. Looks like it can get done without costing much...and SGC grades them if I want to go that route.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Patrick N.

Default What they told me

Do they not realize the millions of "junk" sports cards from the 80s-90s are now going to waterdown every other search? I was told that my FVF would be returned, whoopee! I am going to demand that my current auctions should be be paid out at HBV since this change was implemented midstream and I wouldn't have listed the cards as such if I knew they were going to be lost in a cesspool of 1990 Fleer garbage, etc.

Also, good luck if you have a mixed lot of some valuable stuff as they will be damn near impossible to find.

Last edited by mintacular; 09-21-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Alan U

Just sent my compaint to ebay... not too optimistic about them changing it back though.

This will just lead to the continuation of more BIN's and less auctions.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Marvin J.

I saw this too and at first I thought my eye's were bugging on me - Mike Schmidt in the Pre-30's section? WTH??!

Alas, apparently this is how it's suppose to be?

My saved search of "T206" still yields correctly, but the other searches do not. I guess technically, NOW would be a good time to BUY (because who's going to go through 125K listings to find a particular card) but it's sure as heck NOT a good time to sell.