NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 05-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Jeff P

Default Rare football items you'd like to see

There is a thread in the main baseball board about rare cards people would like to see. I thought it would be fun to start a football specific thread and see if we can beat some rare stuff out of the bushes for display.

Whether its a football card, matchbook, bread label, ticket stub, program, team photo, pinback, etc. that you want to see, post it here.

jeff
Old 05-06-2015, 06:33 PM
John

Great idea Jeff!

Mine are:

1.) Portsmouth Spartans and Ironton Tanks uniforms (or at least jerseys). I’m not a game used collector or anything like that - I’ve just read a lot about these teams and wonder what they looked like. I’ve seen black and white photos, online uniform databases etc. and in my head I think 49ers/Vikings, but it would be great to see one if either still exists….

2.) An item (card or unopened pack) from the find reported in a PSA article as:

“Veteran football card dealer Joe Colabella shares similar sentiments. "There was never that much real supply, mainly because baseball was the predominant sport," he said. A reported find of these cards occurred in the '70s. "Part of the find came out of Oklahoma, the Oklahoma City area. The other part came out of Pennsylvania and they were unopened packs," said Colabella, noting that he has heard that at least three Chicle boxes were uncovered.”

If you just read it quickly, it implies that the 3 boxes added to the supply, but if you think about it logically (unless I’m missing something) given each pack had 1 card and 1 stick of gum, wouldn’t any cards obtained from a find in the 70s have been damaged pretty significantly by the gum? And why haven’t I ever been able to find anything mentioning these finds even when searching AH historical databases? Were these real finds? (not questioning Joe's veracity, but what if this was just something he heard? We don't know any details.)

3.) 35 Chicle original artwork (we’ve seen the Caddel so far, but shouldn’t there be more?)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 05-06-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:34 PM

I would love to see some of the rare vintage Redskins stuff that I've never seen:

1938-42 Overland Candy wrappers, Sammy Baugh
1939 Gridiron Greats Ink Blotters, Sammy Baugh
1959 San Giorgio Redskins flipbooks
1971 CFL Chiquita Slides Joe Theismann
1976 Topps Test Pins Len Hauss
Old 05-07-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwin View Post
I would love to see some of the rare vintage Redskins stuff that I've never seen:

1938-42 Overland Candy wrappers, Sammy Baugh
1939 Gridiron Greats Ink Blotters, Sammy Baugh
1959 San Giorgio Redskins flipbooks
1971 CFL Chiquita Slides Joe Theismann
1976 Topps Test Pins Len Hauss
that's a pretty strong Redskins list

do you have a 1939 Redskins postcard Sammy Baugh? it's omission on your list is glaring, to me anyway.

that's a rare one I'd like to see, and even more would like to add to my collection.

Last edited by andybecker; 05-07-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Great idea Jeff!

Mine are:

1.) Portsmouth Spartans and Ironton Tanks uniforms (or at least jerseys). I’m not a game used collector or anything like that - I’ve just read a lot about these teams and wonder what they looked like. I’ve seen black and white photos, online uniform databases etc. and in my head I think 49ers/Vikings, but it would be great to see one if either still exists….

2.) An item (card or unopened pack) from the find reported in a PSA article as:

“Veteran football card dealer Joe Colabella shares similar sentiments. "There was never that much real supply, mainly because baseball was the predominant sport," he said. A reported find of these cards occurred in the '70s. "Part of the find came out of Oklahoma, the Oklahoma City area. The other part came out of Pennsylvania and they were unopened packs," said Colabella, noting that he has heard that at least three Chicle boxes were uncovered.”

If you just read it quickly, it implies that the 3 boxes added to the supply, but if you think about it logically (unless I’m missing something) given each pack had 1 card and 1 stick of gum, wouldn’t any cards obtained from a find in the 70s have been damaged pretty significantly by the gum? And why haven’t I ever been able to find anything mentioning these finds even when searching AH historical databases? Were these real finds? (not questioning Joe's veracity, but what if this was just something he heard? We don't know any details.)

3.) 35 Chicle original artwork (we’ve seen the Caddel so far, but shouldn’t there be more?)
I am unaware (I call BS until proven otherwise) of these unopened chicle packs/boxes. perhaps they were opened???

chicle original artwork is out there. Joe Colabella had around 20 if I recall. I am not sure if all 36 survived. Lipset sold Matisic maybe 15 years ago.

I heard Joe sold his group too, whereabouts unknown to me.

Last edited by andybecker; 05-07-2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:16 AM
Steve Liskey

1969 Bob Hayes Zip Chips sticker. Come on Carl, I know you can share a scan of this one!
Old 05-07-2015, 06:44 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybecker View Post
I am unaware (I call BS until proven otherwise) of these unopened chicle packs/boxes. perhaps they were opened???

chicle original artwork is out there. Joe Colabella had around 20 if I recall. I am not sure if all 36 survived. Lipset sold Matisic maybe 15 years ago.

I heard Joe sold his group too, whereabouts unknown to me.
Hi Andy, thanks for jumping in - yeah after all these years, you'd think we would've heard something about those finds.

Great news on the artwork - 20 is a lot - I know a board member owns the Caddel - I wonder if the Nagurski survived.....
Old 05-07-2015, 06:53 AM

Hi Andy,

Sadly, the omission was because I forgot about it, not because I own it. It slipped my mind because I've at least seen other examples from that set.

From what I've heard (not sure if it's true or not), Sammy Baugh's estate sold 19 of the 20 player postcards but held on to Sammy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybecker View Post
that's a pretty strong Redskins list

do you have a 1939 Redskins postcard Sammy Baugh? it's omission on your list is glaring, to me anyway.

that's a rare one I'd like to see, and even more would like to add to my collection.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Mike Dugan

As a collector of media guides there are many early 1930's-50 college guides I would love to see.

I have kept a thumbnail photo record of pro football guides and feel that I have at least a photo of most of them. Old friend Joe Cronin helped with the pro guides but the college issues can be more elusive.

There are some neat websites where collectors show off their collections but only a handful of colleges are represented. I am probably the only one interested though.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:49 AM

Default 1935 National Chicles Football Box

I have been looking and ask everyone I know that collects 1935 Chicles if they have a box or have even seen a picture of a box??
Old 05-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Mike Blai$dell

I agree, I have never heard or seen of any 35 Chicle unopened packs or display boxes. I have a pretty extensive FB display box collection (including a 1934 Sports Kings Varsity FB box) - not saying is doesn't exist, but I have never seen an empty Chicle display box.

That is an awesome Redskins list! Here are a couple of the items mentioned above:

Overland Candy Baugh

Kelly's Zip Sticker of Bob Hayes (sorry about the poor image on this one - when I get the chance I'll scan/post mine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr1 View Post
I have been looking and ask everyone I know that collects 1935 Chicles if they have a box or have even seen a picture of a box??
Old 05-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Jeff P

Mike comes through in a big way! Thanks for posting those. You all are hitting on some really rare stuff. Keep it rolling!

I haven't seen any unopened packs or boxes for Chicles either. My understanding is that a bunch of original Chicle artwork came up for auction many years ago and so there should be 20 or so of these floating around out there. I've only seen the Caddell Mike has shown in the past.

I'm a big fan of Jim Thorpe PCs but only have a few. I'd love to see some of them posted here.

jeff
Old 05-07-2015, 10:32 AM

That's an awesome looking Baugh! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-07-2015, 10:43 AM

A couple more recent Redskins items I've never seen an image of, or seen come up for auction that I would love to see:

1968 Spalding Advisory Staff Bobby Mitchell

1976 Nabisco Sugar Daddy Series 1, #6 Sonny Jurgensen
(not the more common #4 Jurgy found in Series 2. I've heard speculation that the Series 1 #6 doesn't actually exist, that instead it seems to be a checklist error? Can anyone confirm?)
Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 PM

This is for you obiwin:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe Theismann (Chiquita).jpg (25.5 KB, 265 views)
Old 05-07-2015, 02:16 PM

Thanks for sharing mightypope!

Very interesting that his jersey number is listed as #9. I was not aware he ever wore that number. Do you think that's really him in the photo? Or was it a mistaken photo of a teammate?
Old 05-07-2015, 02:40 PM

No, that is Theismann in the photo wearing #9. In 1971, quarterback Don Jonas of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers was the winner of the Schenley Award for the Most Outstanding Player and he wore #7. Theismann, being a rookie, had to give the number up to the veteran Jonas. The photos in these slides are of the 1971 CFL All-Stars who played the 1971 Grey Cup champion Calgary Stampeders in the pre-season 1972 CFL All-Star game which was the format at the time.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:08 PM

Gotcha. I didn't even realize the set was highlighting an actual all-star game that was played.

Thanks again for sharing.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:50 AM

My pleasure obiwin.

I have lots of rare CFL cards if anybody else wants to see anything.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightypope View Post
My pleasure obiwin.

I have lots of rare CFL cards if anybody else wants to see anything.
Tee'em up!

jeff
Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Carl Lamendola

I have some of those too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2015, 05:44 AM

hi,

that's an interesting story about Baugh's estate. I have only seen a group of the Redskins postcards, once. I've never seen another single example outside that group. Baugh wasn't included.

do you have a type in your collection?

does anyone have one or more? I'd like to see/hear of an additional example.

cool thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwin View Post
Hi Andy,

Sadly, the omission was because I forgot about it, not because I own it. It slipped my mind because I've at least seen other examples from that set.

From what I've heard (not sure if it's true or not), Sammy Baugh's estate sold 19 of the 20 player postcards but held on to Sammy's.

Last edited by andybecker; 05-09-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:16 AM

I own a Bo Russell. It's the only postcard I own from the set. I bought it from the personal collection of a dealer, and frequent contributor to this board.

Not sure what the proper etiquette is for naming names, so hopefully he reads this and recognizes himself, and is able to shed further light into its origins, and whether or not it came from that single group.

BTW, I had earlier mistakenly mentioned there were 20 post cards. Beckett lists 15.

here's the reference to Baugh's estate via Huggins&Scott's auction in 2005
http://sep05.hugginsandscott.com/cgi....pl?itemid=908

Not sure if this near set was then in a 2011 Legendary Auction
(looks like someone might have kept the Jim Karcher, or sold it separately)
http://legendaryauctions.com/1939-wa...lot115380.aspx
Old 05-09-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Tee'em up!

jeff
Not exactly sure which would be of interest to American football card collectors but I do know that there a lot of alumni and NFL team specific collectors out there that may want to see certain things which are CFL related that they don't have yet. I would gladly take requests . Well anyways, here is one for starters: Dick Huffman from the 1952 CFL Crown Brand Photo set:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dick Huffman - 1952 CFL Crown Brand Photos.jpg (44.7 KB, 263 views)
Old 05-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Hartland LSU boxes

Hi Guys:

If there is room for memorabilia here, I'd love to see/know if Hartland made boxes for the LSU running back and lineman statues as they did the other Hartland FB statues.

For that matter I'd love to see and get to complete my set other Hartland boxes for:

LINEMEN - REDSKINS, CARDINALS

RUNNING BACKS - 49ER'S, LIONS

and get an LSU Lineman statue

Fred
Old 05-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

A run of colored stock exhibit cards in my collection.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-18-2015, 10:08 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default Two ghosts

I've been looking for a Nile Kinnick or a Jack Lummus auto since I was 13. I've held a Kinnick. Once. Never owned. Lummus I've never seen.

Last edited by Laxcat; 05-18-2015 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Stupid iPhone
Old 05-18-2015, 11:48 PM

Hey mightypope,

I was holding off making additional requests since I was already a beneficiary, but since it seems no one has made any requests, I would like to see any CFL cards of former Redskins players

Eagle Day and Al Dorow immediately come to mind. (And of course anything else you might have of Theismann that is uncataloged or extremely rare.) I haven't really done much research of any other Redskins, so would like to see any others that you know of.

Cheers

Quote:
Not exactly sure which would be of interest to American football card collectors but I do know that there a lot of alumni and NFL team specific collectors out there that may want to see certain things which are CFL related that they don't have yet. I would gladly take requests . Well anyways, here is one for starters: Dick Huffman from the 1952 CFL Crown Brand Photo set:
Old 05-18-2015, 11:49 PM

Hey mightypope,

I was holding off making additional requests since I was already a beneficiary, but since it seems no one has made any requests, I would like to see any CFL cards of former Redskins players

Eagle Day and Al Dorow immediately come to mind. (And of course anything else you might have of Theismann that is uncataloged or extremely rare.) I haven't really done much research of any other Redskins, so would like to see any others that you know of.

Cheers

Quote:
Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 AM

Well, obiwin here are the only two CFL items of Al Dorow, his 1959 Topps card and his 1971 Eddie Sargent Sticker when he was the head coach of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959 Topps - Al Dorow.jpg (51.0 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 1971 Eddie Sargent Stickers - Al Dorow.jpg (38.1 KB, 177 views)
Old 05-19-2015, 11:05 AM

As for Joe Theismann, the only two harder to find items would be his 1971 Eddie Sargent Sticker and his 1972 O-Pee-Chee Sticker Insert:
Old 05-19-2015, 04:34 PM

Thanks mightypope! I'm glad to sreport I own those two Theismanns. Cheers
Old 05-23-2015, 08:28 AM

Here are a few hard to find Eagle Day items: His 1956 Parkhurst rookie card, 1956 Shredded Wheat card and 1963 Star Weekly Photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 Parkhurst - Eagle Day.jpg (28.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 Shredded Wheat 10C Herman Day.JPG (33.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 1963 Star Weekly Photos - Eagle Day.jpg (58.9 KB, 183 views)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Carl Lamendola

I'd like to see a 1926 Pottsville Maroon Postcard of Charlie Berry...and buy it

Old 05-24-2015, 06:47 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
I'd like to see a 1926 Pottsville Maroon Postcard of Charlie Berry...and buy it

You and me both, Carl!

jeff
Old 05-24-2015, 08:08 AM
Carl Lamendola

That field goal he made was probably one of
the most significant moments in the development of the NFL...but few people know it.

Not only did it cost Pottsville the championship, but the 9 to 7 victory over Knute's college all stars (and the Four Horseman) put professional football on the map.

And I think Berry maybe the only professional to play on the Football and Baseball champions in the same year ... Leon ?

PS Just make sure you email me before Jeff if you have one lol lol lol ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by clamendo; 05-24-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
PS Just make sure you email me before Jeff if you have one lol lol lol ...
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, but I'll pay more

This is the best I can do for Berry.

jeff
Old 05-24-2015, 04:31 PM
Carl Lamendola

Quite Possibly ...
Same photo as the Lafayette set

I paid a lot for this one. Never forget getting a call late one evening from Randy Stuckemeyer during the auction where this set was offered asking me if I would call him when if I gave up and he would continue on. I ended up getting it back years later, what a fantastic collection he had and even nicer guy. They were unknown at the time, but they caught Brian @ BMWs eye. Who said they were the sleeper of the auction. I know they are college but loaded with Pottsvillers if that's s word.

I can't even get a 96 on a 50s card, untouched for almost a 100 years and pristine.

Last edited by clamendo; 05-24-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:28 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

With all these football cards I own, you'd think I would know some history of the NFL. I don't, and enjoyed learning about Charlie Berry today between breaks in the Indy500 and NASCAR. Copied this from Wiki:
"Berry is also remembered for a collision with Babe Ruth which sent the slugger flying into the air. In 1931, during a game between the New York Yankees and the Red Sox, Ruth collided with Berry at home plate while trying to score on a sacrifice fly. Ruth was carried off the field at Fenway Park and taken to a hospital, and missed two weeks of play."
Charles is also a part of those hated umpire cards in the 1955 Bowman baseball set.
Larry
 photo front_1.jpg
 photo back.jpg
Old 05-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Carl Lamendola

I stand corrected. He is the only person to officiate the World Series and NFL Championship in the same year. Also, the college all star game...1958.

Good catch Larry !
Old 05-25-2015, 07:08 AM
Jeff P

More love for Charlie. These photos come from what appears to have been some sort of promotional photo shoot as there are several different poses taken. Anybody know what it was? These are original 1925 photos.

I have one of him throwing a football as well but can't find the scan right now.

Here are a couple of Charlie at Pottsville Maroons Reunions and events held in the 1960s.

Charlie and his infamous shoe that kicked the winning field goal against the Notre Dame All-stars

Maroons selected for the PA Sports Hall of Fame. Berry on left.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 05-25-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Carl Lamendola

Awsome stuff!!! What do you think the shoe would bring at auction?

Old 05-25-2015, 02:26 PM
Jeff P

Joe Zacko had it bronzed as part of his attempt to get the NFL to give Pottsville back their 1925 NFL Championship. Here's Zacko and Berry after the shoe was bronzed. No clue where the shoe is today.

Farquhar, Zacko, Berry

Shoe sitting at the head table at a Pottsville Maroons reunion.

Signed copy of the 1961 Maroons Reunion Program.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 05-25-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:05 PM
Carl Lamendola

It probably belongs in the HOF

Last edited by clamendo; 05-25-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
It probably belongs in the HOF

+1

Zacko told the HOF they could have it ... the day Pottsville got its NFL title back.

jeff
Old 06-27-2015, 01:39 AM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
+1

Zacko told the HOF they could have it ... the day Pottsville got its NFL title back.

jeff
I didn't know that about the shoe!! That is awesome!! I grew up near there. My grandfather started working in the mines when he was 12(1923). I'm always looking for Maroon stuff if anyone would like to part with it!!
Old 06-29-2015, 08:23 AM

Default 1935 National Chicle Football Box

Have never even seen a picture of a box, would love to see one
Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 AM
John

Paul, if you haven't read this, I recommend it: http://www.amazon.com/Breaker-Boys-G...s=breaker+boys A quick read with lots of good stories like the one about the shoe.

Tucker, imagine how cool it would be if this was a box of our football cards instead: http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2009/1527.html

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 06-29-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:21 PM

Default Wow

Wow Dez that is awesome!!!! $47,000 for sky birds, National Chicles football would bring what $250,000??
Old 06-30-2015, 05:51 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr1 View Post
Wow Dez that is awesome!!!! $47,000 for sky birds, National Chicles football would bring what $250,000??
It would bring a LOT of money! Don't think I've ever seen even an empty football box from National Chicle.

jeff