NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 AM

Default PSA Hates Me....and I'm not too fond in return

My entire grading history with PSA has been pathetic. On many, many occasions, I have submitted crossovers from SGC and BVG and received significantly lower grades. I don't think I've ever had a bump, and RARELY do I get the equal grade....RARELY. On many, many occasions, I have submitted raw cards, received horrific grades, and then cracked and resubmitted the cards through dealer submissions of friends of mine. On average I'd say the grades come back 1 to 1.5 levels higher than my own submission. I know it is supposed to be anonymous, but I'm pretty sure they smell out my submissions in particular. Here's just the latest example. Feel free to share your horror stories as well.

Below we have two different O'learys submitted at the same time. The kicker -- they got the same numerical grade! Any guesses as to what that would be???

Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 AM
martin

Sgc 20 ?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:08 AM
R Dixon

Default I don't know

I don't want to sound condesending, but why do you keep submitting to them? If you don't like the service thay provide and you feel like they have something against you, just take your business elsewhere.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:12 AM
Matt Wieder

JP - the top one obviously has better eye appeal, but it has multiple major creases in it that would preclude it from grading a 2. At best, you could claim it should be a 1.5 and the other is a 1, so you're complaining that they gave you a 1 instead of a 1.5?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Tom Boblitt

Also goes to the question.....why would you be grading low grade card like that. You're probably leaving money on the table. I can't see how'd youd recoup your grading fees on a card like the one on the bottom. The eye appeal of the top card looks like a 3 but I'm sure it was no where close to that.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Carl Lamendola

Obviously, the top card is nicer than the bottom. This is something I have spoke to both grading companies about. If a card if lower grade (VG and below) a small pencil mark, small amt of paper loss, doesn't mean as much as as a defect at the higher levels. So, why do they immediately crucify these cards and call them poor. Years ago a poor card was one that had a large piece out of it or went through the washing machine. Look at the old price guides. Grading companies have redifined what poor is. Why should a T3/T9 that perfect with a pin hole in the top be called "poor", but one with rounded corners and a crease right through the middle be called Good. Makes no sense to me. Up until recently PSA didn't even have a grade between Poor and Good. And SGC still doesn't have middle grades at the low end. Their needs to be more work on the low end of the grading scale - especially if you collect rare cards.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Scott

I must really be blind. I see a couple creases on the top card, but why would it get the same grade as that second one, which has been played with a lot? Someone please help.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Ron Rice

Default O'Leary PSA

Hi JP,
The Old Mill should get a PSA 1.5 and the Sweet Cap a PSA 1 based on my experience with PSA. The Old Mill has multiple light wrinkles so might even get a PSA 1 if the grader is strict.

Ron
Old 05-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

Default Psa 4??

i know there are some here with more expertise. should the cards (below) be a psa 4 and 5??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlissEPDG4_608.jpg (54.6 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg BlissEPDG4_60.jpg (64.0 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg MARQUARD FRONT.jpg (66.6 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg MARQUARD BACK.jpg (72.8 KB, 424 views)

Last edited by lharri3600; 05-27-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Johnny S

If the top one isn't a 3 many 4's I have seen need to be downgraded. Also really tough to tell any difference between 5,6, or 7 they all look the same. It really makes no sense, your best judgment is to buy what looks great to you and let your own eyes be the judge since each card and grade varies so much.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Ron Rice

Default Larry

Hi Larry,

I'd say 3.5 on Bliss and the Marquard a 4 at best because of the paper loss on back. It is overgraded IMO.

Ron R
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Clayton

I don't know why, but I'm not suprised about this. Try SGC JP .

Clayton
Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 AM

Well, to clear up any questions...

They both got PSA 1s. Yes, the top has some light creases, but eye appeal should count for something! The Old Mill is PERFECTLY centered and has no paper loss. How can it be a 1 while other cards that look like they've been crapped out of a dog can receive a 1?

In this particular instance, the grade doesn't affect me much as it isn't for a registry or any competition. These are for my back set. And since the Cycle 460 and Res Hindu I bought were both in PSA holders already, that is why I decided to get these PSA encapsulated. I use the submission service less and less each year.

Last edited by JP; 05-27-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
They both got PSA 1s. Yes, the top has some light creases, but eye appeal should count for something!
Well, that's your issue - grading systems currently do not take "eye appeal" into account, other then the half grade bumps PSA offers. Whether that's how it should be or not is a topic of discussion, but that's how it is.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:36 AM

Either way, creases considered, it's a 3 to me.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Paul

3PG is needed for the nicer O'Leary. If it gets a 1, you now know that it has some serious wrinkles that are hard to see in a scan.

3PG is only needed for the beat up O'Leary to certify authenticity and no card doctoring.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default to me

Quote:
With the creases (and the one through his eyeballs) I would rate it a 2 to 2.5. With that many spider veins I wouldn't give it a 3. But that is just me. Still a very nice card with nice eye appeal. As Matt stated, eye appeal generally doesn't go into a grade. I think SGC does take it into account when they look at the totality of the grade. In other words if they are about to give a card a 1, but then look at it and say "this just can't be a one, even though it has those issues", then I think they will make it a 1.5 or 2. I know that is not objective, but to me, it's the right way to do it. Also, I am not positive SGC does this but I think they do. regards
Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Four creases/wrinkles isn't going to get a three

From the back scan of the Old Mill, I can make out at least four distinct creases/wrinkles. I can't imagine a card with more than one very faint crease getting a 3. That said, the 1 is a pretty harsh grade based on the visual presentation. I'm definitely surprised it didn't get bumped up at least half a grade.

Quote:
Old 05-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Barry Sloate

To me it is counterintuitive to not consider eye appeal in a grade. After all, shouldn't a card's grade have something to do with what it looks like?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
To me it is counterintuitive to not consider eye appeal in a grade. After all, shouldn't a card's grade have something to do with what it looks like?
Didn't we just discuss this like 2 weeks ago? Does "something to do with what it looks like" mean "everything about what it looks like" It depends on the purpose of the grading system...yadda yadda yadda
Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Old 05-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Barry Sloate

Matt- we always speak about grading. It's a board obsession.

I think eye appeal should be a component of grading. Technical flaws are important but once they are determined, why not bump a card for nice eye appeal, or penalize it if it looks ratty? Just a not so original thought.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

How many times have we seen the description, "presents much better than the technical grade"?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Paul

Quote:
Matt- we always speak about grading. It's a board obsession.

I think eye appeal should be a component of grading. Technical flaws are important but once they are determined, why not bump a card for nice eye appeal, or penalize it if it looks ratty? Just a not so original thought.
We're not seeing eye to eye today. Oh well. Without rehashing last week's discussion, objectivity is paramount. Eye appeal is subjective and relative.

@SignedT206
Old 05-27-2010, 01:21 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default PSA's Grading Standards

After reading PSAs standard, I find it hard to believe the card didn't receive a two (again, unless it was something beyond the creasing that yielded the one) which allows for multiple creases.

VG 3: Very Good.
A PSA VG 3 card reveals some rounding of the corners, though not extreme. Some surface wear will be apparent, along with possible light scuffing or light scratches. Focus may be somewhat off-register and edges may exhibit noticeable wear. Much, but not all, of the card's original gloss will be lost. Borders may be somewhat yellowed and/or discolored. A crease may be visible. Printing defects are possible. Slight stain may show on obverse and wax staining on reverse may be more prominent. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.

GOOD 2: Good.
A PSA Good 2 card's corners show accelerated rounding and surface wear is starting to become obvious. A good card may have scratching, scuffing, light staining, or chipping of enamel on obverse. There may be several creases. Original gloss may be completely absent. Card may show considerable discoloration. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.

PR 1: Poor.
A PSA Poor 1 will exhibit many of the same qualities of a PSA Fair 1.5 but the defects may have advanced to such a serious stage that the eye-appeal of the card has nearly vanished in its entirety. A Poor card may be missing one or two small pieces, exhibit major creasing that nearly breaks through all the layers of cardboard or it may contain extreme discoloration or dirtiness throughout that may make it difficult to identify the issue or content of the card on either the front or back. A card of this nature may also show noticeable warping or another type of destructive defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
From the back scan of the Old Mill, I can make out at least four distinct creases/wrinkles. I can't imagine a card with more than one very faint crease getting a 3. That said, the 1 is a pretty harsh grade based on the visual presentation. I'm definitely surprised it didn't get bumped up at least half a grade.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Robert Williams

When I first got into the graded card game, this is one of the ones I sent in. PSA gave it a '1' due to one sole crease across the front. I thought it looked WAY better than the bottom of the rung. However, I have learned to accept that any card with a "major" flaw, will more than likely get the '1' slot....

Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Barry Sloate

Eye appeal is subjective, no question about it. But so is grading. Why not look at the total picture? Seems reasonable to me.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 PM

Something to consider...if my second card was also an Old Mill instead of a Sweet Cap, and it also came back a 1, there is no question that the first would outsell the second by a large margin. So if eye appeal is important to card enthusiasts, how can it not be worth more to graders?
Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Paul

Quote:
Eye appeal is subjective, no question about it. But so is grading. Why not look at the total picture? Seems reasonable to me.
I once had 200 T206 cards graded by SGC in one submission. Getting them all back was awesome. And sifting through them was a great experience. I lined them all up by grade. And to tell you the truth, I now think I have a pretty good eye for what SGC grades what, at least with respect to T206 cards. Now I am very, very rarely surprised by SGCs grading.

To me, if grading really was subjective, it would be unpredictable. I think SGC is quite predictable.

@SignedT206
Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Ron Rice

Default Old Mill

Hi JP,

Based on PSA's own grading standards, the Old Mill should have received a PSA 2. The inconsistency is what drives us crazy sometimes.

Ron
Old 05-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Barry Sloate

SGC is pretty consistent. That's why I use them almost exclusively.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Johnny S

PRO is consistent, a 10 everytime!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

Condolences, something is a miss on that second card grade.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
PRO is consistent, a 10 everytime!
Unless its a vintage trimmed card. Then it gets a 9.