NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-25-2015, 03:15 PM

Default Need help with autographs

Please delete

Last edited by sam majors; 07-27-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:12 AM

I know the bottom is Lew Alcindor aka Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I couldn't tell you if its real or not. Probably not though, bases on the others I compared. I am no expert at all though.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:39 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I'm sorry to put you on blast, but that story is not credible. The Alcindor looks like the fakes that are currently sold on eBay on blank index cards and the Davis is a very rare autograph and yours looks VERY slowly drawn. 10 years ago? Come on
Old 07-26-2015, 04:42 PM

Please delete

Last edited by sam majors; 07-27-2015 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Deleted response to Mr. Hugh.es
Old 07-26-2015, 04:48 PM
J Stone

I think Jason might be a little harsh. I knew a few sports writers that collected as well, but they often bought from the same sources as everyone else and could be just as prone to anyone else to have purchased something in good faith only to find out later it wasn't a genuine autograph.

That being said, I spent a LOT of time chasing autographs in the 1970s in Oakland as NOT ONCE was I either able to get Davis to sign, nor did I EVER see him sign an autograph in public. I have seen two that I believe are good, one signed for a nurse at a hospital my mom worked at, and one that was signed to Sam Bercovich, a local furniture store owner and a known personal friend of Davis.

I don't believe either Davis is genuine, though I don't have exemplars of those two to compare to. I just know that Davis was probably one of the worst sports related people in regards to signing habits, and his autograph is probably as rare as Steve Jobs.

The Alcindor is not even a good forgery, sorry to say.

Last edited by MooseDog; 07-26-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Well, not sure how to respond other than saying those three autos aren't even close to authentic. On top of that, you are going to tell me that you "happened" across them while paging through programs? Three of the top five toughest living "Davis was living" autographs in the hobby, but not hundreds of other terrible players or multi signed items? I don't know you and you might be the greatest Net54 card guy in the business, but that's probably the most unbelievable story I have heard in a while. Take me response for whatever you want or completely dismiss it, I don't care either way. If I am being too harsh, I guess I owe you an apology.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

http://www.iconicauctions.com/Al_Dav...-LOT45257.aspx

is Davis thought to have signed these?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:33 PM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
http://www.iconicauctions.com/Al_Dav...-LOT45257.aspx

is Davis thought to have signed these?
My memory is a little fuzzy but the check sig looks a little like the signatures I saw as a kid...

I can't say anything to whether or not Al signed checks to pay the bills but it certainly was not uncommon in Oakland for someone to sign for the owner (i.e. Carl and/or Nancy Finley signing Charlie O's name) on A's documents.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Steven Finley

I never realized Davis was so tough. I'm wanting to say the last bulk DNA sub I was in had a half dozen or so return as Authentic.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:54 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

They sell for good money. He would sign occasionally, but was generally very difficult. Most people with a football HOF collection take what they can get as opposed to finding what they want.