NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Default Is this really a PSA 4?

Posted By: Josh K.

Just want to get some opinions - does anyone think that this card really deserved to grade a 4? I just bought a T206 Cobb graded GAI 3.5 (for less) that looks better (IMO).

Old 12-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 12-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Ok, so Im a dope - here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5142618070&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Old 12-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

That upper right corner appears strong although it appears to have a few scrapes on it. I'd bet that the paper damage is why it was down graded. Seems like a pretty fair grade. You have to figure that regardless of the grade it still sold for a pretty good price.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Administrator

and Levi Bleam has a PSA 3 (probably graded in 1992) that looks--er, authentic. Funny, I can't remember the card. I think it's a N28. No corners at all, and the front is really dirty.

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND why you guys trust these bozos, and wait with baited breath for their decisions!

Old 12-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Julie,

I don't trust the third party services for anything but enslaving the cardboard into their little holders. But then that isn't saying much because it appears that some of the services can't even get that straight - let alone trying to convince us that they know what they're really doing when they render their "opinion" on the condition of the card.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

I just sold this card, which also graded as a PSA 4, but it looks a lot better then that Cobb card - do they grade really old cards differently or something ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5143806898

Old 12-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

I agree - a 4 is too high for that card. Is a 3 at best.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Administrator

said "They grade too high" or "they grade too low." The problem is, nobody's at the steering wheel!!

Old 12-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

Brian Daniels does not believe me when I tell him I have GAI 2.5 cards that look better than some PSA 4's I have (and have seen)!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Howie

The Clemente card looks great because you're looking at a low quality scan. Obviously there's something wrong with the card to be a VGEX 4. If you remove cards like this from the holder and buy and sell based on their look from a yard away then buying becomes much more of a crapshoot like it was before grading. Grading gets it correct and close for most cards and will satisfy most collector's demands. You don't have to agree with the grade given on every card.

You don't buy a VGEX 4 graded card and hope it happens to be a MINT card. You don't expect to get a card that's really only VGEX when you were given the impression that the card was MINT based on a description or bad scan. With a graded card and a good scan you're much more likely to get a card that won't disappoint. Just think what EBAY would be like if grading didn't exist and you had to rely on the seller's marketing skills. You can buy 100 graded cards from 100 different sellers and not be disappointed. Imagine buying 100 raw cards from 100 different sellers who don't know about grading or don't believe in it. What are your chances? What are the chances of a newbie?

Old 12-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I think the two corner creases (one breaking the surface) drop the card from ex to vg. It is still a nice card, but a nice vg card in my opinion.
Jim

Old 12-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Administrator

1) you hold the card in your hand? or 2) you get a scan from someone you trust.

For me, this does not include a grading company.

This is pos6t number 12; I'm really sorry I mentioned the general problem...again!

Old 12-02-2004, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

of what it would be like if there were no grading companies- lower prices, more collectors, less access to cards except at shows, fewer scammers, in other words, the old days.
As far as the PSA 4 Cobb, you recall the PSA 1 I posted on this board about 3 or 4 months ago, a 1909 Obak? It looked every bit as good as this PSA 4 Cobb. Is there subjective grading in the hobby based on who submits cards and other factors not solely related to condition? I believe so...

Old 12-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

To answer your question: Yes, it is really a PSA4. It is certified as such and encapsulated by the company who invented PSA4s.

Now what does that mean?

Not much in my book. I crack out all cards. Im clumsey, but I don't buy cards much better than 4s or 5s, and often lower.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

Howie, my Clemente has frayed corners and some chipping, so I am not complaining about my grade I was just wondering how the Cobb graded the same with an obvious folded over one corner, and clearly rounded remaining corners. That's why I asked if they grade really old cards differently or something. I have no qualm.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

If I have told you once I have old you at least 7-8 times on this forum do not trust PSA for anything. You would have been better off by sending your card to SGC. I have only done one transaction with that bunch of misfits and I will never do it again. In fact I want purchase anything that has PSA written on it. I truly believe it a kiss of death. Your card deserves to be placed in a better holder than that. If your card could only talk it would most likely say please let me out of here. I do not want to be slabbed and deplayed with PSA name on me I deserve far much better. I take pride just as you do. Shame on you for letting PSA grades me in the first place. Now look what I got as well as you a little 4.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

The Cobb card here is being sold by a regular customer of PSA, if I submitted it, it would be a 2.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Its funny that you say that Dan. I bought a psa 4 T206 Cy Young from the same seller. It is the worse looking psa 4 that I own (I have several other T206's all graded sgc, psa, or gai 4). Now, I knew what the card looked like and made my bid on the card not the number, so I really dont mind. Still, the difference between that card and my others is readily apparent.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Yes Josh, the seller is a very dear friend of mine but I know how much he submits on a monthly basis and trust me, he is a good customer. This is one reason why I think grading is a cancer. There are many others. The best thing I have heard from anyone about grading on this board was Barry when he said they should slab it as unaltered with no number designation. All slabbed cards would have an equal holder. As I do feel the grading companies are good at seeing alterations which is a problem now and wasn't in the 70s.