NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-09-2020, 05:59 PM
Mike

Default 1949 Bowman - trimmed or not? how do you tell?

So I just bought this card raw off eBay for $12.50

When I looked the card over the first time, in hand, I thought the top of the card looked really "too straight" for a 71 year old card.

Could it have been trimmed? How can you tell?

Could it be a completely "fake" card?

Any tips?

Am I crazy?

Ok too many questions, Mike!

This is my first ever 49 bowman card.

I do want to send this card in to be graded. (PSA)

This card belongs to a PSA registry I am working on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eddie01.jpg (57.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg eddie02.jpg (58.1 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg eddie03.jpg (73.0 KB, 139 views)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:39 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

49 Bowmans measure 2 1/16 by 2 1/2. So yours is fine... Nice card!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:06 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

AFAIK, some edges at the Bowman factories were cut with blades and some were cut with wires, which explains the sharp edge at the top and the rough cuts on the side. I know when we were talking about trimming last year, there were some more knowledgeable people about the process that were mocking PSA for grading some of these cards with all four having straight borders. The grading company should understand the printing standards for these sets, so that they can expect the proper edge features. Otherwise they are less useful at detecting trimming/alterations or ones cut from sheets.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:41 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
AFAIK, some edges at the Bowman factories were cut with blades and some were cut with wires, which explains the sharp edge at the top and the rough cuts on the side. I know when we were talking about trimming last year, there were some more knowledgeable people about the process that were mocking PSA for grading some of these cards with all four having straight borders. The grading company should understand the printing standards for these sets, so that they can expect the proper edge features. Otherwise they are less useful at detecting trimming/alterations or ones cut from sheets.
I've come to have doubts about any cards being cut with wires. I've looked occasionally for a cutter or press attachment that uses wires to cut and haven't found one.
It's possible, but some of this stuff lasts a very long time, and even if the machine has become obsolete the wire should be available. And I can't find that either.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:07 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I've come to have doubts about any cards being cut with wires. I've looked occasionally for a cutter or press attachment that uses wires to cut and haven't found one.
It's possible, but some of this stuff lasts a very long time, and even if the machine has become obsolete the wire should be available. And I can't find that either.
I've heard that mainly when discussing 1970s O-pee-chee cards that they used a wire to cut edges. Have you looked into the OPC factories?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:16 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I've heard that mainly when discussing 1970s O-pee-chee cards that they used a wire to cut edges. Have you looked into the OPC factories?
Searches on google for the cutters or the wires. I doubt there would be much for factory pics.

I've also heard it about OPC, so it might be worth a try anyway.

The knives in a regular cutter can do that if they're getting dull. They crush the paper a bit. It's not really noticeable on paper, but on cardstock it would be.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:22 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Steve is correct. The O-Pee-Chee cards are found with rough edges due to worn-out blades. They were never cut with wires!