NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Mark

Default Wiffle box discs from 1978

I've been working on this set for over 30 years now and I've never been so frustrated with a set in my life, because I can't even confirm the existence of many of the cards.

In 1977 Wiffle issued a set of discs that were die cut and inserted one at a time in Wiffle ball boxes. There were 88 of them and they're fine. I've got all them. That's not where the problem is.

The trouble comes in 1978 when Wiffle started printing the cards on the boxes themselves. Aesthetically they are much less pleasing, but collectible nonetheless. The boxes advertise that 88 players make up the set, just like the previous year. Therein lies the problem.

To date I have never seen evidence that eight of the cards exist.

Cards were printed - five to a box - on various sizes of Wiffle products (junior, regulation and softball sizes). The scarcity of the cards depends upon the popularity of the product there were on (like Post, Hostess etc.) The Standard Catalog does not properly reflect this and should be re-examined.

Additionally, 18 cards were printed in pairs on the sleeves that were used to sell a bat/ball set (nine different that I've found). Each of those sleeves features one pitcher and one batter. Because of the way they were produced it is impossible to find any of those without severe creasing. Again, the pricing should reflect that.

The problem that I run into is that there are eight cards that I have never seen on any product from Wiffle from that year. They are:

Bobby Bonds
Rod Carew
Al Hrabosky
Randy Jones
Ed Kranepool
Steve Rogers
Rusty Staub
Carl Yastrzemski

I have in my possession, or have witnessed, the existence of all the other 80 cards in this set.

Here's the additional problem. I can't even guess what product might posses the remaining cards. With eight missing It can't include a five-disc box, because that would leave three missing cards.

It can't been four missing sleeves because there are only three pitchers (Jones, Hrabosky, Rogers) unaccounted for.

Does anyone have any clue as to what is up with this issue?

Also...there needs to be a serious re-examination of the pricing on these cards to reflect their true scarcity.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'll take a look to see if I can find mine.

I think there's a couple different types of sleeves too.

Steve B
Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Mark

I know of two styles of two-card sleves, but they are both two-card models with a pitcher/batter combination.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:55 PM

I'd love to see a Carew from this set. It is one of the few cataloged cards that I have never seen of his. I was actually trolling the web looking for one the other day. I'd definitely pay at least a couple time more than the $6 value it carries in my 2010 Standard Catalog.

Last edited by FireGardy; 03-20-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Mark

I've seen the sleeves selling for anywhere from $25 per sleeve to $60 per sleeve. Some would go higher

The ones I have seen on sleeves are:

Gullett/McBride
Carlton/R. Smith
Chambliss/Perry
Eckersley/Buckner
Fingers/Foster
R. Jackson/McGraw
Morgan/McRae
Ryan/Cey
Bench/Palmer

Several of those - considering the rarity and star power of Ryan, Jackson etc. would go for higher, the problem is they all have severe creases in them. Unless you found a pre-release version the best you could technically get is a "poor/good" condition.

It does beg the question, how would PSA grade something that was created with creases like that?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM

I imagine the discs would take a hit similar if not bigger than the one the Topps Candy Lids get with their built in crease topping out at mid-grade unless you somehow find a proof, and that's just with the tiny crease found on the Lids.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Steve Birmingham

I haven't found them yet. What I recall is sleeves that were thin cardboard and some on corrugated cardboard. I think one -probably the corrugated- didn't have colored sides to the cards.
Somewhere I have one of each.

Now I've really got to find them and the boxes I have.

Steve B