NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default Another Ticket stub help question

Would appreciate any help with this please. I purchased this awhile back from a reputable dealer who specialized in tickets/stubs. It's from the Aug 13th, 1979 Cardinal game where Lou Brock got his 3000th hit. Now, on the ticket it is stamped Aug 13th but you can't see the year. I was wondering if there is anyway to prove the date based on the other numbers that are on the ticket.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc 058.jpg (65.4 KB, 128 views)
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 01-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Rick P

USUALLY...the large number ("39" in this case) is the sequential home game number for that season. The Cardinals played their 39th home game in 1979 on June 29th against the Phillies. On August 13, 1979, Brock hit #3,000 against the Cubs in the Cardinals' 59th home game of the season.

You can check any number of websites to determine game-by-game results for any team; I like www.baseball-reference.com (under "schedule & results").

It's hard to imagine that game #39 would ever jive with an August 13th date, so I'm skeptical of the authenticity based on this information.

One other thought...I checked an old seating cart for the stadium (from a 1985 pocket schedule); none of the gates or sections were numbered "39". Perhaps the Cardinals used that large number for some other purpose, but I doubt it. Unless someone else on the board can solve the mystery, I think your ticket is in question.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Default Brock 3000th hit ticket

Hi Mike,
I completely concur with Rick's response. I was just about to let you know the same thing about the date/ game numbers not jiving. I actually have more info about Cardinals G/A tickets from this time period. About 12 years ago I purchased a large collection of Cards tickets from the 1970's (over 300 tickets). I still have quite a few undated G/A and bleacher tickets from this collection. Note: Not one of the G/A tickets or bleacher tickets in this lot is date stamped. I don't believe that they ever did this, at least during the 1970's. Also, FYI- The large number on the ticket does correspond to the game number as Rick suggested. I know this to be the case with Cards G/A tickets. G/A tickets at St.L. were, in fact, $2.50 during this era.
I hope you find this helpful even though it may not be what you were hoping for. Good collecting!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Thanks guys. Yeah, I was afraid of that. I also suspected that the 39 might be the number home game for the year and had checked it out. When it wasn't the right date, I started thinking that maybe that 39 meant something else or that the other number on there was an indicator. Wow, now I'm totally bummed. I usually collect autographs but made my first steps in to "memorabilia" with a 3000 ticket project and was pretty set with the "common" ones until this one became available. Chalk this up to a novice getting bitten before he had knowledge to do his homework properly (and before this website)
Old 01-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Rick P

Happens to the best of us. Since you mentioned you bought it from a reputable dealer, maybe it's possible to get a refund. He may well have been duped by someone else. It's been demonstrated many times on this board that the true test of someone's integrity is when there's a problem. As long as you acted in good faith, you might find him willing to do the right thing.

This particular area of collecting is tough because of the lack of documentation or reference material. However, with so many wonderful online resources...it's a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to research than in the good old days!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

As a follow-up to this thread. I am still looking for my orginal paperwork for this
ticket, but I did find something that I had cut and pasted from the original
ebay listing.
Lou Brock 3000 hit ticket
In response to some questions, the ticket was purchased from Adelson Sports, a leading ticket-dealer in the Industry. Adelson Sports serves as the ticket authenticator for GAI, and offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee!! The owner of Adelson Sports certifies that he used this ticket when he attended the game in 1979!!

So, I emailed Adelson sports to see if they could at least give me a little background...especially if it was one they they had actually used.
Ken Adelson was nice enough to email me back but could not confirm that this ticket was the one he had used. I think he was being polite because I think someone that sells that many tickets would probably remember that ticket, and if not, at least realize that the markings were off.
I will continue to look for my original paperwork but have pretty much written this one off. At least I should soon have one of my "holy grails" to submit to the January pickup thread that will make me feel better about all of this.