NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Game Used Forum- Pre-1980

Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Mark Fox

Default Determining authenticity of Non-star player/common player bats

I've been debating starting up with a side project of collecting vintage Pittsburgh Pirate game used bats, mainly staying away from the stars and HOFers with this aspect of my collection and focusing on gamers from Non-star players.

So my question then is how do you make an informed decision on these types of bats since for the most part shipping records, order records or any other information for many of these players will never have been researched by anyone.

Take for example Charlie Sands who played 28 games for the 1971 Pirates, spent most of the 1971 and 1972 season on the Pirates roster, and played in only 93 total games over a 6 year MLB career.

Now my initial thought was if I find a Charlie Sands LS bat with labels matching his time in the majors and/or with the pirates, and the bat shows signs of game use such as ball marks, tar, cleat marks, that I would ok assuming that it’s a genuine Sands gamer knowing that the chances of LS releasing any additional Charlie Sands bats to anyone else or any other team is slim to none.

Are my assumptions accurate? Does anyone have any other thoughts?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Jim Murphy

With the advent of metal bats the number of players bat makers signed on to make store models dropped alot.

The yearly list of store model endorser can be found on line
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM

Hi Mark,

Generally I think you're correct. For players that weren't household names as long as the bat has been deemed to be a professional model from the era during which that player played you can be relatively certain that the bat was made for them to use.

Outside of that, determining whether or not a particular player used a certain bat can be a bit more difficult. For super rare players just having a bat with that players name on it can be enough for some collectors.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
With the advent of metal bats the number of players bat makers signed on to make store models dropped alot.

The yearly list of store model endorser can be found on line
I did a quick search to find a list of yearly endorsers but came up empty, if you have a link you could provide it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 PM

Mark, great question. I collect red sox game used bats and am trying to get a bat from each guy who played for them, non pitcher, from 1960 to the present.

When I first started, over 20 years ago, I had aspirations to get bats only from the time when the players played for the sox with correct knob numbering. What I learned is that for pre 1980 common bats there is real scarcity and you might never see another bat of the player if you let that imperfect one go. However, you can rest assured that if it is a pro model it was made for your guy. Further, many of the bats are likely minor league bats, that is the only way I can explain finding the bats of many cup of coffee players, but it makes matching knob numbers a real challenge.

I have found collecting common bats very rewarding, I am always hunting, frequently finding and the price is usually very reasonable.

Good luck

Soxbats