NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Default 1925 W504 Universal Toy Lou Gehrig?

Posted By: Andy Baran

Has anyone ever seen a 1925 W504 Universal Toy Lou Gehrig? It is not cataloged, but I'm speculating that one exists. If it does exist, I'd be very interested in purchasing or trading for it.

Old 02-17-2002, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

what do they look like?

Old 02-17-2002, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

There is a picture of the W504 Dodgers in the Standard Catalog. I'm guessing that the Yankees individual cards look similar.

Old 02-17-2002, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

no standard catalog here. Most recent one I have is from 1990 and it's packed in a box somewhere :-/

Jay

Old 02-18-2002, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett Domue

Andy,

I agree, it is very likely that this set could contain a Lou Gehrig card from 1925, as well as Earle Combs in a first appearance as well. The cards definately picture Yankees who were on the team in 1925 (or later if the set is from after 1925) as Urban Shocker, one of the five catalogued players, joined the yankees in 1925. If he's one of the 16 featured players, then Combs and Gehrig should be as well as they were both starters that year. Leo Durocher is highly unlikely, but possible.

Also, I know there is also a New York Giants set from Universal Toy and Novelty, which I would also assume from 1925. The only card I know of from this set thus far is Emil Meusel. But using the same 1925 assumtion and using the starters from the 1925 Giants, this set would include the first cards of Bill Terry and Fred Lindstrom.

Now, The Dodgers set is cards numbered 101-116. The Yankees are 117-132. My Emil Meusel is #140, so we can assume the Giants are #133-148. Could there be sheets for all 16 teams, 256 cards in all (Plus 16 team photos)?

If so, The Philadelphia A's could contain a first major league issue for Mickey Cochrane, Lefty Grove, and, since I know you don't like Exhibits or those silly Die-Cuts, Al Simmons as well. Jimmie Foxx is unlikely, but a possibility as well.

The Boston Red Sox could have Red Ruffing's first US Issued card (after the 1924 Diaz).

The same would go for Ted Lyons on a Chicago White Sox sheet.

The Tigers sheet could contain the first card for Heinie Manush (once again, ignoring those Die-Cut game pieces) and, though not likely, possibly Charley Gehringer.

The Pirates would likely have Kiki Cuyler's first card.

And lastly, the cardinals could have the first US card of Jim Bottomly (Maple Crispette, Exhibit and Die-Cut earlier) and should have the first Chick Hafey.

I would love to know if anyone has seen any of these other sheets, or has any additions to the known Giants or Yankees sets.

Brett Domue
okeedokee@pipeline.com
http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/wantlist.htm

Old 02-18-2002, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mike mullins

I thought that was a gansta-rap group...

Old 02-18-2002, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Through the courtesy of Lew Lipset, we're adding a complete Universal Toy & Novelty checklist for the Yankees set, all but one of the Giants and some of the Senators to the 2003 Standard Catalog. There is no reason to believe any other teams were involved in the issue. There is no Gehrig (there IS a Pipp) or Combs in the set.