NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2009, 07:24 PM
David M.

Default PSA Submission Levels

I have a question regarding PSA, or any grading service really. Does the submission level you submit a card at, ultimately help determine the grade? I ask this, because there are cards that can easily cross the submission level based on what grade the card comes in at. Suppose I submit a 1956 Mantle, and submit it at Express level that PSA uses and put on the submission form a value of $1200, thinking it's at least a PSA 7. Express is for cards up to a value of $1999. But I really hope it will be a PSA 8 which would raise the value beyond "express" level service to "Super Express". So I should have paid PSA $60 for grading instead of $35 if it's a PSA 8. So my question is, do PSA graders say to themselves, "Well, it's probably an 8 but since he only used "Express", I'll grade it a 7." Am I cutting my own throat by choosing the lesser level of service? This is not meant as a PSA bashing thread, just a question about how these grading services really operate.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:32 PM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

The service the cards are submitted under should not affect the grades given by PSA. However, they do frown upon high dollar cards being submitted under a low dollar service (cards under $100).
Old 08-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Pup6913

I think it should be flat rate regardless and just pay for the insurance. What makes your T206 Wagner any more important than my POS Hoffman T205. They all have to be graded the same and should be treated the same. Levels of service should be options for the consumer to choose wether he/she wants to pay $10 per card and wait 15-30 days or $250 a card and it be there and back in 48hrs. Not based on how expensive the card is. Its really explotation. Just my thoughs on this matter.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:16 PM
David M.

I agree, it should be based on the level of service (speed) that you want your cards handled under. I had another thought, would a grading service ask for more money if they thought you slipped a card in one service level too low? Or could you ask for a refund if you paid say Super Express with PSA and the card didn't grade as high as you expected, thus lowering it's "value"?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Matt Wieder

It's actually even more of an acute issue if you submit a card you think is high grade that they decide has been trimmed. Although, I suppose that's more common with SGC then PSA.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:37 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
I think it should be flat rate regardless and just pay for the insurance. Its really explotation. Just my thoughs on this matter.
Don't know if its explotation, more so to protect themselves, and this is all grading companies, not just PSA.
If a grading company screws up on a $20 card, no biggee
But if they screw up on a $20,000 card, they may be liable to compensate.
So with that said, they will take more time on the higher $ cards to make sure they are genuine.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Don't know if its explotation, more so to protect themselves, and this is all grading companies, not just PSA.
Beckett charges only according to service turnaround time - the value of the card does not affect the cost or turnaround time.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Eric Brehm

Jay -- what you are saying makes sense, but you are implying that if you select a more expensive grading service, you not only get faster turnaround, but also a more thorough evaluation by the graders. Do you think that is the case in general?

Last edited by ebrehm; 08-31-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Barry Sloate

Eric- that's the age old grading question: if you give them more money to grade your card, are you entitled to a more thorough evaluation? I don't know.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM
David M.

Good comments so far, but no one has really answered my question. Does the level of service you submit a card at, affect the grade received? Has anyone experienced this? Has anyone resubmitted a card at a higher service level, and then received a higher grade than they did when submitting at a lower level of service?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Eric Brehm

I have wondered the same thing, not about the service level, but about the value I declare for insuring the return shipment. If I am expecting a '7', and reveal this by declaring the value to be $200, would they be reluctant to assign an '8', which would require $1,000 worth of insurance to get it back to me?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 AM
David M.

Good point! I hadn't even considered that aspect of it from the grading companies perspective.