NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Default USPS

Posted By: joe maples

I send everything USPS unless weight is a factor and then I send UPS. I have a PO Box I use for the hobby and have had more than 1200 transactions on ebay. Mail always received at both ends. One tip, don't use UPS stores, you will pay double or triple to send anything. I complained to UPS store information desk and got only 1 answer, UPS store can charge whatever they want. I asked the people at the store if this would be the same cost if I used a UPS hub and they said it would, that was a lie. I sent some items to an auction house in 1 box,weight was about 30 lbs and cost was $75.00 with insurance for $5000.00. I sent some other items to Mastro, 3 boxes and UPS picked up at house and the cost for about $15,000 worth of items was about $90.00 with the insurance, the weights were 30-50 lbs. Of course UPS won't send or pickup at PO Box.

Joe

Old 10-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Default USPS

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I had the same experience as Joe, asked if the cost was the same and was told yes but later found out that it was triple if I would have went to a hub. Complained to the store to no satisfaction, they basically told me tough luck. I will never do business there again and it is only a block from my house.

Lee

Old 10-24-2005, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Default USPS

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Just fyi, each store is a franchise (formerly a MBE). Believe it or not ... their shipping rates are handed down by corporate ... i know this b/c my auction house has a signed contract with ups and one of the stores here in town to handle all of our shipping. I've read their contract over with a fine tooth comb as well.... the other problem is for example....ebay/ups website/ups store software/individual vendor sites. I can't tell you how many times we've had to eat shipping money b/c the ebay calculator spits back some bogus number to the customer. Ever notice how even for UPS - which does ins. in blocks of $100/dollar - the insurance rate it spits back to you is always in partial dollars. The software stinks....ALL OF IT depending on what particular item you have ... you could end up with 4 different prices.... Yes each store can charge what they want for supplies and whatever else, but shipping rates are not determined by the store itself. I'm not saying to go back to the stores simply b/c of this fact, it's all about the way you are treated, but believe it or not.... there's more to the story. UPS has all the different rates for the same package!

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

Old 10-24-2005, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Default USPS

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Lots of misinformation above.............UPS Store rates--if it is a UPS STORE, not Mailboxes ETC.......is typically about 5% higher than the UPS dropoff centers in your city. There are typically only 1-2 UPS dropoff centers and many more UPS Stores. They are franchised and UPS Stores themselves HAVE to charge the same rates.

Mailboxes ETC is still under the old system where they can charge whatever they want and it, in the past, ranged to about 65-75% above counter rates for UPS.

In my store, and many others, if you ship a lot of stuff you can get a slight discount to where you can have parity with the counter rates. You can also set up a house account and be billed monthly instead of when you drop off the package and charge to whatever credit card you want.

I have tons of ebay people that come in--especially as someone said earlier--when they have heavy items or need the $100 insurance included. I also have a lot of mailbox customers that do ebay business as we are open 8:30-8:00 and will sign for ANY packages from UPS, FedEx, DHL or whomever for our mailbox customers and hold till they pick them up. Try that at the post office.....nice benefit if you don't want anyone's drivers just dropping stuff at your front door.

The ebay calculator is not realistic as it will ALWAYS charge less than what a UPS Store will and most of the time be less than what a UPS customer counter is. Don't know why that is.

You'll find different rates for UPS if you process it online and just drop it off at a UPS Store--typically a little lower but many store owners will give you a discount equal to that if you're a frequent shipper and you get the monthly billing.

Packing is not a cheap endeavor, however.....brand new boxes, bubble and peanuts and labor/overhead is not cheap. If you want it packed right to UPS standards (where the teamsters won't damage it), it's somewhat costly. Price new boxes at U-Haul, Staples or pretty much anywhere else and UPS Stores are right in line with the retail costs for boxes, bubble and peanuts.

If you look at FedEx and DHL, you will also find varying rates by type of preparation. Its a cost of doing business that all carriers, for the most part, have........

Old 10-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Default USPS

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Well that would explain it then, sort of.... b/c the Store that is mentioned in the contract with ups was a MBE...and their rate sheet is handed down by corporate. But then again, that might be a unique situation or something.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

Old 10-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default USPS

Posted By: leon

I can tell you positively that the UPS store I just frequented was just about exactly 200% the cost of sending a ground package from work. As I had about 5 board members cards for several days too long I went ahead and did it. My company (computer company) got bought last week and in the shuffle I hadn't got the packages out. The 18 year old kids at the counter told me they were about 5%-10% more than an individual going to a hub. Of course business rates with volume (my computer place of work) get significant discounts. I went in and expected what I got.....not the kids fault.....and BTW, this is a message to any board member waiting on their cards from me....they all got sent today.....regards

Old 10-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Default USPS

Posted By: joe maples

Sorry, no matter what information I get about the UPS stores I won't be using them again. I called the Main Office and talked to the person in charge of complaints etc about these stores and he told me the charges are not sent down from the top. UPS stores charge what they want, higher insurance rates and shipping. They also use scare tactics saying if something happens with a package you packed yourself and it is damaged, the insurance claim won't be paid. So you end up buying a box and peanuts and they put your package inside. More additional cost. I found that using shipping online and having UPS pickup at your home or business is the best way and 2-3 times cheaper.

Joe

Old 10-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Default USPS

Posted By: Scott Forrest

I just received a "rough quote" of $30-50 to ship an item that cost me $50 on an ebay live auction - framed 8x10 (11x13 overall). Seems excessive, but I guess they have me by the 'nads.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default USPS

Posted By: davidcycleback

If it's authentic, I think you got a deal even with the shipping cost.