NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2009, 11:22 PM

Default Let's Talk (and Show) Baseball Game Cards...Fan Craze, Tom Barker, Polo Grounds, etc.

So share your opinions on these oft-overlooked cards. Love 'em? Hate 'em? Collect 'em? Do you have a favorite among these?

Are they undervalued in your mind? My opinion is that they are. And my recent observations of a few sales (especially Ebay) show me this is continuing. A few real nice high-grade examples sold on Ebay recently for well below VCP's recorded 2009 prices.

I managed to scoop a couple from the Polo Grounds set: a Smokey Joe Wood in PSA 9 and the wonderful "Matty" card in PSA 8. I got each of these for about 60% of what those cards sold for earlier this year.

And I was watching as a Tom Barker Shoeless Joe in SGC 80 (=6) just went for $870.00 (prior sales were way over $1000 in this grade).

Anyways, I was interested in hearing what others think (and seeing some from your collections).

Here are the 2 Polo Grounds I got:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Polo Grounds Joe Wood.jpg (51.4 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg Polo Grounds Matty.jpg (55.9 KB, 314 views)
Old 12-21-2009, 11:29 PM
James Gallo

I think the low prices are because of the time of year more then anything else. I have been seeing stuff sell for pennies on the dollar, there just doesn't seem to be the money or the crazy for collectibles this holiday season. I think the deals retail stores are offering are getting more people in and grab their cash in place of cards and collectibles.

To answer your question. I do think they are under valued, however a lot of people just don't like them especially the smaller pictures on the Polo Grounds set. I had a tough time getting rid of the set I had and I had a very sharp Wagner, Cobb, Matty etc.

For whatever reason people look at these as secondary cards, much like strip cards.

I don't think you will ever see a huge change in that either. Fan Craze has a shot because it is so early and the larger pictures on the Tom Barker/National Game help that set as well.

Regardless there are key cards in all the sets, but they will always be thought of as outside the main stream collecting IMO.

James G
Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Fan Craze set has the nicest portraits, but the Walter Mails set is the toughest of the 20th Century bunch by a long shot. There are many cards in the set that I have personally never seen for sale individually but only in set form.

A few of my favorites...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Rhett Yeakley

A few more...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-22-2009, 12:57 AM

Thanks for sharing those, Rhett! You sure don't see many (or any) of those around.

(That Bagby card is pretty scary, though...)

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 12-22-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
...a lot of people just don't like them especially the smaller pictures on the Polo Grounds set.
I have no doubt that is true - and I have heard it before...yet, the T204s don't seem to suffer for having small b&w photos. I haven't measured, but I bet the Polo Grounds card images are at least as big (not to mention the beautiful historic ballfield image on the reverse).

I do agree that of the 1900-1915 game cards, I think Fan Craze has the greatest prospects for broad collector acceptance. I think one factor there is the instantly recognizable Carl Horner portraits.

...Which raises another question...would people prefer to buy a game card featuring a famous player image, or would they rather buy one to get a unique image not found on other cards (this is often cited in favour of National Game/Tom Barker/Polo Grounds)?

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 12-22-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:13 AM

I think its a great way to pick up some HOF player type cards at the fraction of the cost of E or T cards...

I got a PSA 6 Cy Young National Game card for $60.00, H Wagner Polo Grounds and Tom Barker Nap Lajoie that both graded Nr Mt cost less than $300 between the two so I can't complain.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Tim

I personally like game cards and pick them up when I get the chance for my type collection. I agree they are undervalued but don't know if we'll see much of a change in that respect in the future.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Dan Paradis

Default Love the Game Cards!!!

I love the game cards, especially the Fan Craze. As a HOF RC collector it gives me the opportunity to get a "almost" RC without spending E107 $$. The Fan Craze have great portrait photo's!!

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan craze.jpg (74.9 KB, 274 views)
Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Banned

I'm a fan:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41natlgamefront.jpg (24.7 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 43lajoiegamebluefront.jpg (31.0 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 45lajoiegameredfront.jpg (28.6 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg 47pologroundsfront.jpg (24.5 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg lajoiefancravefront.jpg (60.3 KB, 269 views)
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 AM

Default Gamey thoughts

The Game cards are a great way to pick up some favorite players on the cheaper side. Like Rhett mentioned, the Walter Mails are definitely the toughest of the bunch. As far as aesthetics, the Fan Craze can't be beat for large size b/w portrait shots of the players (and not just amongst other game cards...that includes all the contemporary 'regular' issues as well). But my favorite is probably the Tom Barker/National game cards, because of their many full/partial body 'action' shots. Probably my least favorite is the Polo Ground, because of their awkward small photo but larger size card design.

Brian
Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
I got a PSA 6 Cy Young National Game card for $60.00, H Wagner Polo Grounds and Tom Barker Nap Lajoie that both graded Nr Mt cost less than $300 between the two so I can't complain.
To me, this is amazing value - all 3 of those cards for under $360!!!

I defer to you, sir, as the king of bargain-hunters .

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for showing your game cards, and please keep 'em coming - I'm learning a lot!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

1914 Polo Grounds Game

1913 National Game WG5

1913 Tom Barker Game

1913 Tom Barker Game

1914 Polo Grounds Game WG4

1906 Fan Craze Game NL WG3

1906 Fan Craze WG3

1906 Fan Craze Game NL WG3
Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 AM

Default Billy... errr Willie

Someday I'll get this crossed over to SGC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1904FanCrazeKeelerWillie.jpg (54.2 KB, 105 views)