NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Default Uncancelled George C. Miller value?

Posted By: Jeff

Greetings one and all. A newbie here, though I've referenced the forums many times.

Basic question: I recently aquired (for very cheap) a George C. Miller common (Carl Reynolds) that is, quite frankly, a beater. Just got it back from PSA...it got the expected grade of 1.

I don't own any guide other than SMR, and likely wouldn't trust a guide on this one anyways. I have no point of reference for a common GCM beater that is UNCANCELLED.

I'm wondering about possible value should I decide to sell (which I might...I don't collect GCMs, but they are fantastic), and I'm also wondering if Ebay would be the right place to sell a type card such as this. I know GCMs with an actual grade are tough to find, but I'm not sure what a common in really rough shape might fetch....any ideas, thoughts, opinions about value and the best place to sell should I do so?

thanks very much for any assistance should any be available.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Around $100, depending on who and how beat. You may be best off offering it on the B/S/T board first with scans.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 08-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Jeff- I have found that although George Miller cards which are uncancelled are worth quite a bit, the cancelled ones which otherwise have nice eye appeal and feature a HOFer or star player can command a real premium.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

If you decide to sell, I'd be interested.

Jay

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun."

Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

eye appeal, or how much the damage to the card affects the image and text on the back will play a big factor in a fair price.

I have the same card in an sgc holder (it also has checkmarks on the setlist on the card back)..I got it for about 150 off e-bay 23 months ago.

..prolly looks familiar to JC

Old 08-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Manos

A free bee for everyone call Dolloff Cards in New Hampsire they have 50 of them cancelled and un-cancelled.. Your welcome ...Jim Manos

PS Sorry, back to value.... call them it well let you know the values of them because they will sell quickly....and I don't want so someone else can buy them...

Old 08-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Administrator

And they say these cards are rare :-p Got a number for them?

Jay

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun."

Old 08-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Want to know were anything else is while I feel generious... I get alot of Sh__ for my tactic's so I thought to give a few free bee's so anything else your looking for??

Old 08-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Nice guys but at their prices they'll probably have the same 50 cards for quite some time.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

i agree with Tbob on the Dolloff prices...
..and they have a pretty strict no dicker/discount policy.

the number is 603-433-3957 (New Hampshire)

Old 08-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a wasted phone call to me then.

Jay

Old 08-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

That's actually a pretty nice looking Reynolds.

Ungraded, some people might call that card vg in an ebay listing. Dolloff, in their July catalogue, lists a vg Reynolds at $495 and another at vg+ for $595. I have found their grading to be accurate. Their prices are on the high side but GCMs are tough to find. An example of "We have the card and you don't" pricing. I can't fault them for that.

The market for GCMs is a sellers market and they (Dolloff) are content to wait. Jim Manos told me about Dolloff some time ago and I finished my set with two cards that I simply could not find anywhere else after years of trying. I think Dave's estimates in an earlier thread may well be accurate for a buyer looking for a GCM type piece in poor condition. On the other hand, someone looking to fill out a set might pay $300-400 or even more for the same card. GCMs are so thinly traded, compared to Diamond Stars or Goudeys, or even Delongs, that "book" prices are really impossible to determine. I paid $355.01 on ebay for the ungraded Reynolds below in 2000. In that light, the Dolloff prices don't seem so out of line.

On the other hand, on the day, from the same seller (Scott Gaynor) I paid $163 for the Bartell.

It's a crap shoot for both buyers and sellers but sellers can always protect themselves with a reserve.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

Of the two Types of George C. Miller cards (Type 1 with Fox/Klien on the back and Type 2 with Foxx/Klein on the back), which one is more rare? Should one expect to pay a premium for the rarer card?

Old 08-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

I don't think there is any premium put on type one or two.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

This has been quite helpful, thanks. My GCM is in VERY VERY rough shape, so, Jay, I'm not sure you'll still have interest...I'll try to post it if I can.
I love this issue and may hold onto it for a while, but I do like having some idea what its value might be...really appreciate the help. And point taken about a cancelled with nice eye appeal carrying just as much/more weight.

Found it in a lot of mixed vintage commons. Got the lot for like $35 I think (and i found a Batter Up Foxx in there too), so I'm happy regardless of the condition.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Looks better than my Ott

Jay

Old 08-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Administrator

I, REPEAT I, think that pricing is a relavant thing. Larry Fritsh'c cataloge is the best example I can see. Larry, great guy I may ad, was overpriced and alot of great stuff stayed in his cataloge for yrs. . The pricing finally cought up with him and everything has been purchased, gondy now. I just feel the same is with these Miller's in Dolloff. They will be scarfed up, it is just a little time away. The pricing will catch up. If you think the Goerge C. Millers are bad. Did you see the 39' Play BAll Hershberger on ebay in a PSA 8 sell for $3400??? man o man.