NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Anthony Ram.os

Default ISA Crossovers

Is there anyone out there who has actually succesfully crossed an ISA card/cards to BVG, PSA or SGC at the same or higher grade? If so, I'd be very interested in hearing about their experiences!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

I haven't but would definitely crack it out first...or just keep it ISA since they may be a reliable, quality company soon. Looks good so far.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Anthony Ram.os

Cmon guys, l'm begging to hear from more people! Let's keep this thread going!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acramos1 View Post
Cmon guys, l'm begging to hear from more people! Let's keep this thread going!
Why?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Sc.ott Stif.fler

A quick look at this eBAY store tells me everything I need to know -- http://stores.ebay.com/The-Miracle-S...id=p4340.l2563

While they have PSA/SGC cards, they also have ISA cards and at very large discounts relative to recent sales of PSA/SGC cards in the same grade. If one assumes that these guys are in business to make money, they would have already crossed them if they could. More likely, they've already crossed them from PSA/SGC into higher grade ISA holders and are trying to make that side of the cross work.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

That's quite a website. Incidentally, the PSA 10 Jeter rookie (a mere $40,000 buys it!) has a funny looking bottom edge (in my opinion), and there isn't the usual amount of space between his shoe and the edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-DEREK-J...item5d319328d0

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-14-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Nathan C0ckre.11

I once tried a cross a higher grade ISA to SGC and it came back trimmed. Sure I didn't pay as much for the ISA card but now I know its not worth as much either.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs1a View Post
A quick look at this eBAY store tells me everything I need to know -- http://stores.ebay.com/The-Miracle-S...id=p4340.l2563

While they have PSA/SGC cards, they also have ISA cards and at very large discounts relative to recent sales of PSA/SGC cards in the same grade. If one assumes that these guys are in business to make money, they would have already crossed them if they could. More likely, they've already crossed them from PSA/SGC into higher grade ISA holders and are trying to make that side of the cross work.
Good points, but does that also mean the remaining did not make the cross or just have not been submitted yet? It'll be a tough go for them, even if legit, since so many post SGC/PSA companies have been downright pathetic.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

OK, members with very, very few posts are chiming in due to the extraordinary significance of this.

I would never, ever submit a new company's holder, still slabbed, to either SGC or PSA....or Beckett. I would be confident in my conspiracy theory that the card would return in a lesser and/or altered grade, not make the cross, no matter the circumstances. You have to crack it out first.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter View Post
OK, members with very, very few posts are chiming in due to the extraordinary significance of this.

I would never, ever submit a new company's holder, still slabbed, to either SGC or PSA....or Beckett. I would be confident in my conspiracy theory that the card would return in a lesser and/or altered grade, not make the cross, no matter the circumstances. You have to crack it out first.
There will always be that perception of a bias when a card is in another companies holder when submitted for a Crossover. I don't know about PSA but I think SGC and Beckett would be fair regardless of a slab or not. Just my (biased) opinion.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:53 AM
Anthony Ram.os

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockrellcollection View Post
I once tried a cross a higher grade ISA to SGC and it came back trimmed. Sure I didn't pay as much for the ISA card but now I know its not worth as much either.
Did you crack it out first? Or did you send the card still in the holder?

Last edited by acramos1; 08-15-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Anthony Ram.os

I'm still just hearing people saying bad things about ISA who have probably never even dealt with them. Can we please hear about some actual experiences?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Anthony Ram.os

We have a lot of views, now we just need more posts!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 PM

acramos1,

Here is a novel idea. If YOU want an experience to talk about why don't YOU go get five cards and do an experiment.

Why not go out and buy five cards from different companies and eras and send them in and see what happens? Why not buy a trimmed T206, then, untrimmed cards of say a 1933 Goudey, a 1952 Topps, a star card from the 1960's and a rookie from the 1970's.

Scan the front and backs of all five cards, save the scans and post them on this board in a new thread. Then, send the cards in to SGC and see what grades they get. Once you get them back, post the scans.

Next, crack them out and send them in to PSA and see what grades they get. Once you get them back, post the scans.

Crack them out and then send them to ISA. Once you get them back, post the scans.

Then You (and everybody else) will have some data points to compare and talk about.

David
Old 08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Anthony Ram.os

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
acramos1,

Here is a novel idea. If YOU want an experience to talk about why don't YOU go get five cards and do an experiment.

Why not go out and buy five cards from different companies and eras and send them in and see what happens? Why not buy a trimmed T206, then, untrimmed cards of say a 1933 Goudey, a 1952 Topps, a star card from the 1960's and a rookie from the 1970's.

Scan the front and backs of all five cards, save the scans and post them on this board in a new thread. Then, send the cards in to SGC and see what grades they get. Once you get them back, post the scans.

Next, crack them out and send them in to PSA and see what grades they get. Once you get them back, post the scans.

Crack them out and then send them to ISA. Once you get them back, post the scans.

Then You (and everybody else) will have some data points to compare and talk about.

David
I actually have two ISA cards that I purchased recently. I just would like hear to some feedback concerning ISA so I know whether or not it is even worth it to crack the cards and send them to PSA or SGC.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:01 PM

Again, I fail to see the logic.

You have two cards that are graded by ISA but don't seem to have the stones to either send them to SGC or PSA still in the ISA case to be graded or to crack them out and send them in to be graded. Rather, you want somebody ELSE to be the guinea pig.

Again, either send your two cards in to be graded and see what happens OR just stop buying ISA graded cards and stick with SGC or PSA.

This, to me, doesn't seem like rocket science. People have given you their opinions but you still ask for more without doing any work (sending your cards in to be graded) yourself.

David
Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Anthony Ram.os

Anyone there?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 AM
J@son M1ller

yes.

As others have said, the company is too new. No responses (to your liking) should let you know that you won't be finding the answer you're looking for. When you buy something from a company that has yet to be proven you are taking a chance. Hopefully you paid less for that card in that particular holder. Whether or not it will cross to a similar grade by another company is only a guess until you actually do it. Let us know when you get the results.

Last edited by Jaybird; 08-16-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:30 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Scan your cards at very high resolution, such as 1200 or 1800 dpi and subsequently crop small approx 750x750 sections from the corners, edges, and other various sections of the front and back. Post full images followed by the cropped images.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Anthony Ram.os

Well, I don't have a scanner. I'm assuming I need one, right?

Last edited by acramos1; 08-17-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 AM
Anthony Ram.os

Well, since I don't have a scanner, I will just attach the high-resolution scans from the auctions themselves. Tell me what you think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 Topps Willie Mays ISA 9.jpg (16.6 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 1975 Topps Nolan Ryan ISA 9.jpg (20.3 KB, 241 views)
Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 AM

Nice looking cards.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:21 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Great cards, but those scans are tiny. If you have a camera, set it to capture images in the largest format possible, which will enable you to crop into them a good bit. If your camera has a raw mode, use that and edit the images in the small sections before developing them as a jpeg. Withe the camera, turn the flash off and light the area from the side with a lamp or something.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Anthony Ram.os

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter View Post
Great cards, but those scans are tiny. If you have a camera, set it to capture images in the largest format possible, which will enable you to crop into them a good bit. If your camera has a raw mode, use that and edit the images in the small sections before developing them as a jpeg. Withe the camera, turn the flash off and light the area from the side with a lamp or something.
I would, but my camera is not working at the time. If you right-click each scan and do "save picture as" and save it your pictures, you should be able to really zoom in on the cards to get a very good look at them. I urge people to do this and tell me what they think of the cards, such as whether or not you think they are possibly altered/trimmed and if you think they were graded accurately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 Topps Willie Mays ISA 9.jpg (16.6 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 1975 Topps Nolan Ryan ISA 9.jpg (20.3 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by acramos1; 08-17-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Anthony Ram.os

Please give me some opinions. It would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by acramos1; 08-17-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Please give me some opinions. It would be greatly appreciated!
What is your opinion?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
What is your opinion?
His opinion is that he wants our opinion.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Josh Margolin

Worst. Thread. Ever.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Dave Johnson

Quote:
Well, I don't have a scanner. I'm assuming I need one, right?
Quote:
I would, but my camera is not working at the time. .

Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Dave Adkins

+1
Old 08-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Bill Cauley

I actually like the look of the slabs and that they went the route of the black thingy inside. I'm bound to SGC though.

Was this the company that was advertising here at one point?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Anthony Ram.os

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
I actually like the look of the slabs and that they went the route of the black thingy inside. I'm bound to SGC though.

Was this the company that was advertising here at one point?
Yes, it is. Look guys, I'm brand new to this forum, I didn't know asking people whether or not they think the cards look correctly graded was such a hard question to answer.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Anthony Ram.os

This is what I'm asking. Do you think the cards look unaltered and graded accurately?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:44 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
I would, but my camera is not working at the time. If you right-click each scan and do "save picture as" and save it your pictures, you should be able to really zoom in on the cards to get a very good look at them. I urge people to do this and tell me what they think of the cards, such as whether or not you think they are possibly altered/trimmed and if you think they were graded accurately.
I am lost several folks have offered the opinion that ISA is to new to have much info on them. What more do you want?
Always accepting quality consignments

Last edited by Wymers Auction; 08-18-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:38 AM
Clayton

Quote:
This is what I'm asking. Do you think the cards look unaltered and graded accurately?
OK, I was being a bit of a smart a$$-

Here's my opinion- I have no idea if the cards are graded accurately because:

There is no back scan, there's no way to give you any type of reasonable answer without one.

So, my opinion is you should take the advice given by ctownboy. Take the plunge, and send them to SGC/BVG/PSA (take your pick). They grade for a living. Good luck, I hope they crossover for your sake.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 08-18-2012, 07:53 AM

Since this is a new grading company and will likely take a long time(if ever) to be considered along same lines as SGC(or PSA), just carefully crack out the cards and send to one of these companies.

Doubt the amount of money at risk is great(since you wont be paid top dollar for such high grades) in this particular holder. If they grade less, then at least you have a reputable(usually) grade.

It's like I when I had an unopened Obak cig pack. I went back and forth about opening it. I opened it and it was empty. No card. In retrospect, life goes on. Maybe out some money.

My opinion.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Yes, it is. Look guys, I'm brand new to this forum, I didn't know asking people whether or not they think the cards look correctly graded was such a hard question to answer.
First of all with all of this idiocy I think your name needs to be known. It is Anthony Ra.mos, according to your registration. Secondly, when did something called ISA advertise on this forum? Since I handle all of that, and am unaware of them advertising here, I would like to know? Thirdly, when you send an idiotic email to one of my closest hobby friends, originating from things on this board, asking a stupid question...and he partially answers but asks your name, then you email him back without your name, that is going to be unacceptable too. Quit acting like an idiot please.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Barry Sloate

I received those emails and they were odd and inappropriate. And there's nothing I hate more than anonymity over the internet. Mr. Ramos needs to find the answers to his questions on his own and please do not send me any more emails. I don't know you at all and you asked me for a favor that was not cool.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 AM

On 8/16, I received a Private Message from Acramos1.

Here are the questions he asked me;

"I'm brand new here, just thought I could hopefully hear some personal experiences. I have a couple questions for you.

1. Is it true that you have a "way" better chance of crossing a card to PSA/SGC if you crack it out and send it in raw?

2. What is the best/safest way to crack a card out of its holder?".

My response to him/her was that I am not really into the whole graded card thing BUT to get his answers he should do the following;

1) Read through the thread again and see what the other people have told him.

2) That if those answers didn't give him the info he needed then he/she could go to the top of the page and look through the Archives because I know these questions have been asked before.

3) If he is concerned about ISA then he should crack the cards out and send them to SGC or PSA. Then he would have a better answer.

After seeing he is asking others basically the same questions, I wonder what his angle is? Is he trying to advertise for ISA? Is he just hard headed and going around asking as many people as possible the questions he wants answered and not getting the answers he wants goes to someone else? Doesn't have the money to crack the cards out and sned them to SGC or PSA and wants others to be his guinea pig?

I don't know. What I do know is this gets annoying......

David
Old 08-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
What is your opinion?
I didn't know about the emails sent, but that's pretty much why I responded like this (above).

It sounded like a "troll".....

Thanks Leon-

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 08-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Barry Sloate

David- he asked me a somewhat different question also related to how he could get his cards graded by PSA. He is new to the board and doesn't understand simple protocol. You can't bother strangers about these things, and you especially can't do it anonymously.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
First of all with all of this idiocy I think your name needs to be known. It is Anthony Ra.mos, according to your registration. Secondly, when did something called ISA advertise on this forum? Since I handle all of that, and am unaware of them advertising here, I would like to know? Thirdly, when you send an idiotic email to one of my closest hobby friends, originating from things on this board, asking a stupid question...and he partially answers but asks your name, then you email him back without your name, that is going to be unacceptable too. Quit acting like an idiot please.
That's my fault for mentioning it in the first place Leon. I know I've seen them advertise somewhere within the past year or so and thought it might have been here, but I likely mixed it up with another forum.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:14 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

He asked me in a PM if I owned ISA, which I suppose was due to my relatively positive comments in a similar thread. I replied that no I don't and had never heard of them until that thread appeared. I asked that he scan or photograph the cards because I thought it likely that he didn't even have possession of them.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Anthony Ram.os

Just got on here to see everyone bagging on my questions, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Like I said, I'm brand new to this forum and didn't know these type of questions were untolerated. I know the scans weren't very large, I don't have a scanner. I was just wondering if anyone could give some opinions based on the provided scans, that's all. The only thing I was going to ask Mr. Sloate was what he thought of ISA, that's it! I'm not an idiot, a troll or whatever else people are calling me on this thread, just a newbie!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Just got on here to see everyone bagging on my questions, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Like I said, I'm brand new to this forum and didn't know these type of questions were untolerated. I know the scans weren't very large, I don't have a scanner. I was just wondering if anyone could give some opinions based on the provided scans, that's all. The only thing I was going to ask Mr. Sloate was what he thought of ISA, that's it! I'm not an idiot, a troll or whatever else people are calling me on this thread, just a newbie!
That wasn't the question you asked when you emailed me. You wanted me to hook you up with a dealer who might be able to get you higher grades with PSA. That wasn't even ethical IMO, especially since we have never spoken before today. I understand you are new to the board and if you have questions of any kind feel free to post them here. But you were sending out an awful lot of PM's to people who were complete strangers to you.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
That wasn't the question you asked when you emailed me. You wanted me to hook you up with a dealer who might be able to get you higher grades with PSA. That wasn't even ethical IMO, especially since we have never spoken before today. I understand you are new to the board and if you have questions of any kind feel free to post them here. But you were sending out an awful lot of PM's to people who were complete strangers to you.
From the other thread, that might be Rick Probstein.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Barry Sloate

That's what he was looking for Peter. He wanted to know if he could be put in touch with a dealer who had connections at PSA so his cards could get special attention. I of course have no relationship with PSA and am not involved in the business any longer. I thought that was a bold favor to ask to a complete stranger, and without even giving me his name when I requested it.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Perhaps he should try this dealer -- 37,000 PSA 10s!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=..._sharp_corners

65,000 total cards. Staggering. By some crude math, his cards would go all the way around a quarter mile track, or be nearly as high as the Empire State building.

EDIT TO ADD It's been pointed out to me that my search for "PSA 10" includes a number of items that are not PSA 10s, but items where both PSA and 10 appear in the title. Still he has a lot of PSA 10s.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-18-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:05 PM
De.rek Pul.atie

I would guess If graded by PSA, SGC, or BVG those would grade 7s.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Perhaps he should try this dealer -- 37,000 PSA 10s!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=..._sharp_corners

65,000 total cards. Staggering. By some crude math, his cards would go all the way around a quarter mile track, or be nearly as high as the Empire State building.
That's really insane. Man, would I like to question Joe Orlando in a grand jury.