NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Banned

Default Fake P.T. Barnum preprint autograph being certifed, and also sold at auction.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=22597#more-22597

phony preprint autograph certified as real by psa, and auction houses selling these preprint p.t. barnum autographs as real.

Heritage auction sold one as recently as 2011.

http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?s...&lotIdNo=44006

Protecting collectors with information=power and not letting the TPA's and others get away with it.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default personally

I'm a bit shocked. Cards are one thing - and autographs another. I understand that some things can get by a card grader or doccument examiner for a variety or reasons. I've owned 2 of these cabinets. If one is unable to determine a facsimile signature on a photograph - which might be the easiest medium upon which to opine - even for a novice - there's sumptin very wrong. I have P.T.'s autobiography with a pencil signature. Not sure if it's real. Don't believe anyone could rule it out - determining if it's right another story. A stamped or facsimile signature is quite another thing. In my mind - autograph authentication should be held to a very high standard - someone that would certify a facsimile signature on a photograph obviously doesn't have the requisite skills to perform such a service - if you can't master the simple stuff I certainly can't expect you will be able to give due diligence to an autograph one didn't see signed. I will admit to having Charles Hamilton look at my buffalo bill tobacco leather in the earlyish 1990's. It has what I now know to be a stamped W.F.Cody signature on it. I was a year or two into buying cards and ephemera. I was not then and am not now an authenticator or examiner and the auto was not the focus of the item for me. Mr. Hamilton explained the elements that distinguish a stamped/facsimile signature. It was pretty easy to see and understand why it was what it was. Hard to see how an actual authenticator could certify a facsimile - unless they are not competent, sloppy, or dishonest.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Banned

The LOA these companies issue say that the autograph is compared to exemplars and is authentic after consdering slant, SPEED, PEN PRESSURE.

They aren't really considering pen pressure and speed when they examine these PREPRINTS.

They just say they are because it sounds good. they know nothing about speed and pen pressure, if they did, they wouldn't certify preprinted signatures.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Wayne Walker

Wow, Leland's has been brought into the fold once again. Unlike the Marciano letters, which apparently fooled many others, this seems to be one that shouldn't have gotten by them.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Did anyone else, including Mr. Untouchable Nash, reach out to Just Collect? I did, and they promptly pulled the piece.

Ken
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Did anyone else, including Mr. Untouchable Nash, reach out to Just Collect? I did, and they promptly pulled the piece.

Ken
Nice! Good on you and Just Collect.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Dave

I will say, some of the stamps they used back then were remarkably well designed. I still see several antique dealers fooled by the John L. Sullivan stamp.

There was one used by Georges Carpentier in the late 1910's or so, that is brilliant. It might have fooled me if I hadn't had 5 others ones just like it staring at me from the same collection.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Banned

the problem is the company issuing the cert, not the end customer, he was just putting faith in the product he received with the coa even though now hopefully people will now know better and take a closer look at what the authentication company is certifying, and see if they really are the experts they claim to be.

did psa give a refund on this?