NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Todd Schultz

Thanks. Probably better that I just stay away from this stuff, but I appreciate the education.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:07 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Todd,
It's just like every other type of collecting. In order to do it well and safely, you have to learn about the subject matter and the how people attempt to take advantage. It may appear more dangerous, but the reality is that it isn't. Autographs are no more complicated than cards or bats or pennants. If you were spending good money on a card, I bet you would research what it's supposed to look like, Right? You would learn how rare the cards are by, among other things, reading guide books, joining an online forum, joining collectors clubs, and talking to people, both other collectors and dealers, at shows. I think this is how we all learned about the things we like to collect.

When I started on this forum, I knew nothing about vintage photography. At the time, Jimmy C(Kingofclout), was very active on the board, specializing in that field, and I asked him a TON of questions. I absorbed everything I could about it. Now, while I don't consider myself an expert, I have become educated in the field and feel very comfortable researching, purchasing, and even giving advice about vintage photography. Plus, there is still more to learn.

The best piece of advice for you and all the others that are considering entering into autograph collecting is to study. Learn all you can, before you spend the big bucks. There are plenty of knowledgeable and helpful autograph people around to help you learn and plenty of good dealers around to allow you to buy in the safest way possible.

Jimmy,
It was what you said, not how strongly you said it that concerned myself and others. You stated that the COA people will "work with you." This implies that they might pass an auto that isn't good to get your return business.

As a card guy, think of it like this. Supposed I came to the card side and told someone who was new to cards that they should submit a 52 Mantle, that everyone here states is fake, to a PSA, etc anyway. I go on to advise that they should have submitted it to the TPAs first, instead of asking opinions here, because hey PSA/SGC/etc want your return business, so they might "work with you." Don't you think I would get eaten alive by the card guys for suggesting this? Don't you think the implication that it if, somehow, the TPAs did slab the fake card, which we all know has happened, for that person, that it would be OK for them to sell because the TPAs slabbed it, would be met with harsh opinions from all the guys on that side? (What are we East[cards] and West Germany[memorabilia]?)

Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Jimmy

Default Opinions on Value/Authenticity

I agree – my mistake for making a statement/statements like that, I just wish I had the time to explain myself more and should have responded better. I Really do not have the time to think before I write sometimes, and also do not have the time to go back and forth. I get the point and will move on – thanks for all the advice and I appreciate the feedback from my responses.

Jimmy